Spicy Foods

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Love hot stuff. I always have sriracha, two or three kinds of tobasco, and a couple of other hot sauces in the house. I really enjoy fresh chilies and put them in all kinds of stuff. I grow my own chile pequins and jalapenos. I've pickled jalapenos and made jalapeno jelly and I've also made my own chipotles. I leave a lot of the pequins on the plant until they turn red and then dry and crush them to sprinkle on stuff.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Add some fresh ginger to your hot sauce fun. It has it's own kick and will add to the spice-o-rama joy and it's no sodium. :)
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I just need to do some more home cookin'. :smile:
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh my, just remembered why I don't buy pickled jalapenos anymore - I eat the entire jar in one sitting. I pay for it the next day but goodness it's worth the pain.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about sodium and still want the heat, then go for a hotter sauce - I'll use anything from Tabasco to Blair's Death series based on what I'm cooking.

My family's one of those "you gotta be nuts" groups. I go for stuff that equates to liquid fire (there's nothing like doing the two-drop per chip hot sauce sinus cleaner), my wife is more moderate - she goes for habanero sauces. My son loves Tabasco on his scrambled eggs - not bad for a toddler.

I posted a pic of my collection in the last hot sauce thread, but I'll refrain here - all I need to say is that we've got about 70+ sauces on the shelf now and I'm always on the lookout for new ones.
  • sksummers61
    sksummers61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like hot and spicy as well, grow a number of different Thai and chili peppers. I harvest the peppers then dry them, grind them up into a powder that makes an incredible seasoning. Gives you the kick without the sodium.

I'm just finishing a batch of smoked peppers, 8 hours smoked with hickory, 7 days drying, makes a great spicy/smokey seasoning.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    And to the guy who drank a bottle of Tabasco while drunk: I had a waiter bring me some hot sauce for a steak I had ordered, and he brought out a little cup of something that seemed like Tabasco or Texas Pete. I took one sniff, tasted it, and drank the cup in front of him. Next time, I bring my own stuff.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Homemade Dorset naga jelly on fried egg. :Worldsgreatestfood:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    maybe find other hot spices (instead of sauces) that have little sodium. What about red pepper?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    OMG YESSSS.. count me in! I love spicy foods of all kinds as long as it is spicy.

To be honest I can't eat without raw onions, garlic plus 6 pieces of chili peppers or 3 pieces of jalapeno peppers either mixed in with my food or just on the side. Food taste bland to me without those important ingredients. No joke.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    On a Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa kick right now.
    Target carries it.
    Love hot and spicy.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    On a Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa kick right now.
    Target carries it.
    Love hot and spicy.

I normally don't like store bought salsas (prefer making my own fresh) but I really enjoy this one.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options