Clothes?

Options
124»

Replies

• Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Maxi dresses are awesome. They are very forgiving and an easy piece to try you hand at altering clothes yourself once you get really small. Most of time just have to be taken in a bit under arms, little elastic in waist, and they fit perfect again.
    I have some 2x maxi dresses I bought from Ross for about $15 when I was a size 22. I'm a 12 mostly now and I can still wear these, they looked even better as I went down in sizes. Plus in the fall can be paired with a sweater or blazer and still worn.
    My local Burkes outlet store has a huge clearance sale and I lucked into the cutest skirt, solid black, size L. It was 95% off of a already discounted price- I ended up paying $0.63! Its modern looking, hemline is higher in front than in back and while I could have probably gotten a med, this was the only one there.

Even if it is just new to you and not brand new, it is still nice to have clothes that fit.
    I have always been a huge supported of Thrift Stores. I have found some of the most gorgeous brand name clothes for my 15 year old daughter, she doesn't have a problem with where they came from either. They tend to have great selections in smaller sizes, she is a very petite 5'2" and wears a 0-1... Didnt get that from me, lol. I've even been recruited by a friend to shop for her daughter- and she loved what I bought her too. Weekend before last I bought a gorgeous inspiration dress, little too tight in the bust, brand new with tags on it. It was marked 24.99, the original tag on it was way more than I've ever paid of a dress. When I got to the register, they said oh- the tag is green, this should be half price, woohoo!

I am not sure if they still do, but I when I was going to Goodwill often, I used to bring a small bag of items to donate, clothes/household stuff. When they give you the receipt for donating there used to be a coupon for a percent off of your shopping on that day. I can't remember what it was but it was between 10 and 25 percent off. Yours might have that too. Also- someone mentioned the BY THE POUND Goodwill. That place is awesome. When I first got married I found a leather bomber jacket therein great condition, ended up paying a little bit because it was heavy with a liner, but still was around $5 if I remember correctly. My husband really liked it too, he ended up with it, still has it and wears it regularly and it still looks great. About 15 years later, my daughter was about 13, I found a really nice pair of Hollister skinny jeans and a Leather bomber Jacket in her size. Ended up paying around $6 for both.

I would try listing your too big clothing on Craig's List. Even at a buck a piece- it will help you get funds towards a shopping trip to a thrift or discount store and you will be helping someone needing clothes get some more affordably. I did this and got a very large response at first and made around $80, and still have clothing left. Of course I had no-shows and people wanting me to bring all the clothes to them so they could look through them, and time wasters. the ladies who did come were very pleased and got great deals. One called a friend and had her come right over, her friend was the one who bought the largest amount. I plan to try again, but going to set it up more as a garage sale.
    Hoping to earn money towards some exercise equipment or heart rate monitor. It is getting terribly hot here and I'm hoping to be able to set up something to do some exercise inside and to cut down on my outside.
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just buy a few things to get me by. I don't see any since in buying all new clothes knowing they won't fit next year. Maybe go to a couple of garage sales or thrift stores.
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    Have you considered consignment? You can actually make money off of your old clothes that are too big. Once the items you take to the store sell, you can get money to shop at the consignment store or take it to the thrift store and get them for pretty cheap. Once those get too big, take those to the consignment shop, too. This way, you're not spending money from your household on clothes, you're using only the money that you're making from the consignment shop.
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but I do shop at Goodwill and some of the local consignment stores. And if you have clothing in good condition, you can have the consignment shop sell them for you too and get some of your money back! I plan on doing that when I lose a little bit more.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of new jeans at WalMart for $5.
    And two outfits at the thrift store for $15. My spouse says I'm 'renting' clothes -- buy them from the thrift store, wear them a few weeks and then donate them back.

And those $5 jeans in (my new smaller) size look a hundred times better than any $200 pair in my old size could. (Not that I'd ever spend that much)....

And in 10 more weeks, I'm gonna be tossing those jeans, and getting a new (smaller) pair.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Have you considered consignment? You can actually make money off of your old clothes that are too big. Once the items you take to the store sell, you can get money to shop at the consignment store or take it to the thrift store and get them for pretty cheap. Once those get too big, take those to the consignment shop, too. This way, you're not spending money from your household on clothes, you're using only the money that you're making from the consignment shop.

Actually I was just thinking of this tonight I have a very nice suite, midlength skirt, short sleeved blouse and jacket from Lane Bryant I bought a few years ago that cost me a fortune so I never donated it or gave it away I was too hung up on the fact I spent more than $100 on a single outfit. So there it sits in my closet...I might look into consignment for it and use the $$ at Goodwill. Thanks again for all suggestions
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At first, I didn't want to buy anything until I reached my goal weight. But as I lost weight, I found that I couldn't wear my old clothes anymore, they looked terrible on me. I bought a few things that fit well and it was worth it, even if they'll only last a season or a year or whatever. I feel good in my clothes now, they show off my weight loss and they just make me feel better about myself. So I say: great if you can buy some clothes at clearance prices or a yard sale or wherever, but you really should buy some clothes, ir makes all the effort worthwhile! After all, the point of losing weight (besides your health) is getting to wear cuter clothes and look great in them, right?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!