Wanted: Long flowing locks :)

Options
Sammylynn89
Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
Just wanted to see if anyone on here takes specific vitamins, or has special treatment, or does anything to help produce strong healthy hair. I can do research all day but I was hoping to hear about real people who have tried stuff that works. I have shoulder length hair but it is so thin and brittle. I recently got hair extensions and soon after removed them because they were yanking out all my real hair! Also, has anyone tried using cholesterol? haha a Sally's employee says she uses it as treatment, but I dont know where to even begin reaching into a tub of cholesterol and slapping it on my head...

Replies

• Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I have absolutely no scientific proof if this works, but I've been taking fish oil/Omega 3 tablets for about 3 months now. My hair is a lot shinier, healthier and grows faster. I even color my hair every 6-8 weeks and have very little signs of damage. It's worth trying. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't help your hair. The Omega 3's will be good for you, too!
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll have to look into it!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Same thing. Thin Limp hair :(
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Good genes.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Protein helps
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    coconut oil! put some on your hair overnight, once a week and your hair will be gorgeous, also use it in cooking to ingest the vitamin and get your hair growing thick and healthy :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started using Aveda shampoo, which uses all-natural substances. Since switching, I noticed that my hair sheds WAYYYY less and is shinier/easier to style. I think the chemicals in the commercial shampoos were really hurting my hair. Aveda products are a bit pricier but SO worth it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been using Ovation Cell Therapy for about 7 months and seen some really good results. It's expensive but the first bottle lasted me almost 6 months.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Omegaplex from Advocare has changed my hair, skin, and nails! Send me a message if you want some!!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My hair has gotten better since I started losing weight.
    Other than that the only advice I can give is don't run your fingers through your hair while it's wet and to let it air dry as much as possible. My mom is a hair stylist and when I finally took her advice my hair got a whole lot nicer!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin and Fish Oil and I see a big difference. I also use Infusium 3x per week after I shampoo. Also, don't wash your hair everyday - it washes away natural oils and causes breakage!
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree! I started taking a multivitamin and fish oil every day a little over a year ago and my hair looks better for it ;)
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    check out www.longhaircommunity.com
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    biotin.
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    I take vitamin E pills every day. They also have hot oil treatments you can do at home. Also, there are hair, skin, and nail vitamins.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Biotin and omega-3.

Religiously every day...and yes, I log them! :bigsmile:

I also use sulfate-free and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Omega-3s, biotin, generally making sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals. Also, when I changed my diet to include more protein and fresh fruit and veggies, my hair started growing faster, got thicker, shinier, and curlier (I have natural curl, but for several years it had flattened out into a natural....wave of sorts that required either straightening or curling to actually look good down).
  • gingerlynnlove
    gingerlynnlove Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am having this same issue! My hair sucks~ very thin and oily!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about the Omega 3 fish oil because I've been taking it consistently for years and have noticed zero difference with my hair.

I do supplement with gelatin and I have some vitamins for the hair that I just started using. Haven't really seen a big difference. You might want to try conditioning your hair more often and actually NOT washing it every day. I use olive oil on my hair -- rub it in before my shower and then wash it out -- and it keeps it hydrated.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating a lot of protein. Take Biotin (at least 3000 mg a day). Its really cheap and will help your hair grow fast AND your nails. Get a good shampoo/conditioner.

Ive been wanting to try the coconut oil treatment, just havent gotten around to it yet.