It's not all about the scale + my man muscles *Pic heavy*

Options
LoveLiveLift
LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
Just wanted to share my story. I've been logging into MFP for almost 500 days now. First of all, I want to thank all my friends on here for all their support and encouragement. You guys are amazing and I'm lucky to have you as friends.

I started MFP after seeing pictures of myself from spring break. I had been in school and was slowly gaining weight. I never really noticed until I saw the pictures.

IMG_1141-1-1.jpg

After plugging all my data into MFP, I started focusing on choosing healthier choices and staying within my calorie limits. I began running, and lifting weights occasionally. However, I was more focused on cardio than I was on strength training. I dropped weight quickly, but I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. This usually put me at a net calorie intake of ~1000 cals/ day. I still wasn't happy with my body. I felt better, but didn't look the way I wanted to. I felt "skinny fat", I weighed less than I had for 3 years, but still had a higher body fat percentage. Also, despite all my efforts, I had hit a plateau. I was stuck and I was getting discouraged.

IMG_2587-1-1.jpg

IMG_2588-1.jpg

Around this time, I had started running longer distances, and I decided to train for a half marathon. With all the training I was doing, I realized that I should be fueling my body properly. I upped my calories, but with the big burns, I still continued to net about ~1200 cals/day. Before I ran my half, I met an awesome lady on the forums. (You know who you are :wink:). She encouraged me to up my calories even more and explained that my net was too low and that was probably why I was plateauing. My body was scared to lose anything because I had been essentially starving it. I upped my cals and started eating back enough exercise calories to net my BMR every day. Some days I ended up eating over 2000 calories. However, my runs improved and I started feeling less fatigued. My body was happy for the extra fuel. During that time, I gained 3 lbs, but I felt better than ever. I decided to "throw away" my scale.

524012_722680245897_6603967_34182130_766242388_n-1.jpg

To wrap up, I'm still running, but not frequently. I switched my focus to strength training. I've been training with the New Rules of Lifting for Women book and just recently started Stronglifts 5x5. I still weigh myself occasionally, but I know the scale is a liar. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 145-150. Lately, it's been closer to 150. I work out 5-6 days/week. I usually eat between 1900-2300 calories/day depending on my exercise for the day. I no longer am a slave to cardio...I do a full-body lifting workout 2-3x/week and I take an MMA-styled class at my gym 2x/week for cardio.

photo-3-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

Thanks for reading. I always welcome new friends.

ETA: Sorry the pics are so huge!

Replies

• amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    AMAZING !!Thank you for sharing. I needed that!!!!!!! You look FANTASTIC BTW! :)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You look ahhhhhmazing!!!! Great story - thanks for sharing. I love muscles!!!!
  • JenniferDLP
    JenniferDLP Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You look sooo great!!!!!!! I want your muscles!!
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story as well in terms of getting muscles and realizing the scale is a dumb piece of metal that makes people crazy LOL.

You look fantastic, thin but strong and muscles ROCK!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!

I love it when people get great results that go beyond a number on the scale! :D
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! :flowerforyou:
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Way to be healthy!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Great job! I had blog yesterday about that evil scale. You look great and dont let the scale rule you!!
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job...you look fantastic :)
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look amazing!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!!! Great job!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    One word: AWESOME!:drinker:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love it, girl!

I JUST finished NROLFW last week, and started Stronglifts yesterday!! Would love to keep in touch about progress!

If you want to follow my progress, I'm blogging at jenniferhudy.wordpress.com

We're the same height, and I'm working on putting on a few more pounds, but your pics are super inspiring! :)
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow, thats awesome!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Tease. Was looking forward to man muscles... but very nice job! Good physique for sure!
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! You are now my inspiration!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!