Hello, I am new! Anyone here with hypothyroidism?

Options
13»

Replies

• GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It took a little while to get the Med dose right.
    I am no longer lethargic although I do have my "groggy" days
    Keep heart! weight loss will happen with determination =)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    10 years of hypothyroidism here!

I take synthroid, and a supplement called Sublingual B-12, it melts under your tongue. Works great! I also switched my thyroid medication from generic to brand name. Generics are allowed to differ in potency up to 15%. Brand name is allowed only a 1% difference per quality control.

Your body needs the thyroid hormone to support every molecule of your body. So if one month you are only getting 85% active ingredients. The next month lets say 115% that is quite the fluctuation of medication. It cost me $ 40.00 more for a 3 months supply of medication to me it is well worth it!
  • drd625
    drd625 Posts: 2
    Options
    HI, I also have hypothyroidism and am on medication. I am also 53 years old and it is extremely difficult for me to lose weight. I have to be very vigilant in my exercise program and very careful about what I eat. I have been seeing a wellness coach but mainly it boils down to eating right and exercising. I opt for protein shakes 1-2 times a day and then a healthy meal. I do get board on occasion but it is slowly working.
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    It's definitley a challenge, that's for sure. I've found the only way I really lose weight is to restrict my calories to 1250-1500-ish and to make sure I exercise. The lack of energy definitley sucks and makes it hard to stay motivated sometimes, and sometimes I am so drained I have to take a full week off from exercising. I've learned not to beat myself up about it though, and to eat the best I can and just get back to it when I have my energy back. Good luck!

13784785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism at 16, and weight loss has been up and down for me. I have lost 62lbs so far, but its been slower. I was told to take my meds on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning an hour before eating. I've had my dose adjusted 4 times, but I've been on the same dose now for several years. Weight loss is definetly possible, it just requires more patience and consistency.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My blood tests showed my thyroid was slowing down after I had my baby 26 years agonies. It got bad enough to start on synthroid about. 10 years ago..I had gained weight steadily and the doctor told me the meds would help me lose weight. They didn't.
    I am losing weight now but it is a struggle. I count every calorie and exercise. Include weight training. Muscle burns more calories and also makes you look trimmer. I don't lose as fast as Mfp says I should so don't give up if you don't see the expected loss. You can do it.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am 28, and I was diagnosed four years ago. My levels are fairly steady, but I've noticed that when my tsh goes up even a little bit, my cholesterol shoots way up ( and vice versa, it goes way down when my tsh goes down).

I knew I would likely develop hypothyroidism because my mom, my aunts on both sides of the family, my grandfather and great-grandmother have all had it. My mom's went undiagnosed for years, and she developed thyroid cancer. She's been cancer-free for a couple years now, thank God.

I've finally realized that hmmmm, I CAN'T eat whatever I want and expect to maintain or lose weight. I know that I especially have to stay away from alcohol. One sip and I seem to gain weight immediately, so I never drink more than a couple of glasses a wine a month.

Sometimes I complain about having this, but then I think about all the other lifelong illnesses and conditions that other people have, and this isn't nearly as challenging as some things I could have. I try to keep it in perspective. Thankfully there is medication!
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    when i was diagnosed some 10 years ago my weight wasnt a problem as i was super skinny. it wasnt till i hit 40 that the pounds piled on but not coz of thyroid but other medical probs. however i do belive that now i have gained weigh and in conjunction with all the other gubbins the thyroid thing doesnt help with getting rid of the weigh. i have just had blood tests to check my levels and am waiting for the results. I know if you thyroid meds aint smack on target it can make it difficult to maintain a good weight whether over or under
  • Gracemarie25
    Gracemarie25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Suffering for the last 7 years from Hypothroidism but originally was diagnosed with Graves' disease (when the thyroid is super overactive),

Now with the Hypothroidism, I am feeling fatigue, weak, and boy has my weight gain increased. Good luck to us all.
  • gaerielsky
    gaerielsky Posts: 20
    Options
    I am on 88 mcg of Levothyroxin daily for my hypothyroidism and though my blood levels are now in the normal range, my symptoms haven't ceased. Loss of hair, dry skin, always cold, difficult to lose weight. It's a pain!

I have no tips because I haven't found anything that works. I've tried WW (I lost a ton before the problem hit but couldn't get it off once on the meds). Now I'm on Medifast, but I keep plateauing while eating 800-1000 daily and exercising.