95% of Americans have Gluten Sensitivity & causes wt gain.

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Gluten sensitivity is grossly over exaggerated. Just like ADD and Autism

What a delightful statement. I have ADD, which I have begged for 17 years now to get medicated for, but doctor's refuse because I've "coped for this long". I had to fight tooth and nail to get my son medication for his ADD because nothing else was working and his doctor was resistant to "just throwing medication at the problem". It has taken a year of trial and error, plus a combination of medication and behavior modification, to get him to a place where he can thrive and show the potential that we've all known he has.

Maybe parents over exaggerate their children's problems because they don't want to deal with the behavioral problems their children have. But for those of us living with children with ADD or Autism, it's not an over exaggeration how hard it can be. Think before you post such dismissive crap.
    You are ignorant. ADD is a behavioral disorder of childhood. DSM diagnostic criteria are all written for children. By the time you are an adult it is assumed that you have learned the minimal level of self-control required to function in society, and if not, that there is probably a deeper issue present. "adult ADHD" has 0 clinical basis, and is basically just a doctor's way of saying "here, take this speed and leave me alone!"

I know 2 adults who have been diagnosed with ADD in their 30s, so I am not sure where you have got your information from.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I believe it. A LOT of people have told me their doctor diagnosed them as gluten intolerant and those that havent (including myself) lose weight incredibly fast when cutting out gluten.

Too bad glutens are cheap and are delicious....*sigh*...
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Sometimes it is best to just not say anything at all, especially when you're about to piss some parents off who have to manage even one of the above issues on a daily basis with their children. :flowerforyou:

Abso-freakin'-lutely
  • phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    The answer to "why" we're experiencing an increase in spectrum disorders, food allergies, and how food and environment impacts these fields is still developing and relatively new.

The scientific evidence that we're seeing an actual increase in prevalence of autism spectrum disorders?

None.

Sure if one believes McScience from the media, press releases, or personal anecdotal life events - one might be familiar with the notion of an "autism epidemic". Is there descriptive epidemiology that supports the notion? No, there isn't. There is no good scientific data that supports the very premise that there's an actual increase in autism spectrum disorders, so implicating food and environment as an impact point, is premature and logically fallacious.

Yes, autism is *diagnosed* more than ever before in history. There are likely countless reasons: broadening and changing criteria, increased awareness, diagnostic substitution, reduced stigma in some areas, pursuit of necessary assistance/services, etc. etc.

In the IDEA special education data, increases in "autism" are more than offset by decreases in "mental retardation" and "specific learning disabilities" depending on what state you live in and which data sets you look at. The net result? The numbers of children enrolled in special education (as a percentage of the resident population) has been relatively unchanged for years. If there had been an epidemic of autism (all other things being equal), the numbers should have jumped, but they didn't.

Don't get me wrong, if a kid has relief from gastro-intestinal symptoms/pain, by removal of an offending dietary ingredient, that's great - and I would expect improvement in function/behavior for anyone (autistic or not) with reduction in discomfort and vomiting.
    Most experts on spectrum disorders will advise you to try a gluten free, casein free diet. Casein is found in dairy.

This is total B.S. and can really be best described as a bad appeal to McPopularity. Real experts on autism spectrum disorders don't generally suggest treatments that lack real scientific support. There is no sound science that supports an etiological (hence improvement with removal) origin of autism itself with gluten or casein. The original hypothesis put forward with respect to "leaky gut" due to intestinal damage (sometimes claimed due to a vaccine) leading to opioid excess, resulting in "autism symptoms" just ain't substantiated by the science.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/Supplement_1/S1.full
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options

What a delightful statement. I have ADD, which I have begged for 17 years now to get medicated for, but doctor's refuse because I've "coped for this long". I had to fight tooth and nail to get my son medication for his ADD because nothing else was working and his doctor was resistant to "just throwing medication at the problem". It has taken a year of trial and error, plus a combination of medication and behavior modification, to get him to a place where he can thrive and show the potential that we've all known he has.

Maybe parents over exaggerate their children's problems because they don't want to deal with the behavioral problems their children have. But for those of us living with children with ADD or Autism, it's not an over exaggeration how hard it can be. Think before you post such dismissive crap.
    You are ignorant. ADD is a behavioral disorder of childhood. DSM diagnostic criteria are all written for children. By the time you are an adult it is assumed that you have learned the minimal level of self-control required to function in society, and if not, that there is probably a deeper issue present. "adult ADHD" has 0 clinical basis, and is basically just a doctor's way of saying "here, take this speed and leave me alone!"

I know 2 adults who have been diagnosed with ADD in their 30s, so I am not sure where you have got your information from.

I'm fairly certain that ADD and ADHD are neurological, or genetic. It isn't just a "behavioral" problem. There are many underlying factors that cause the behaviors, the disorder itself isn't just behavioral, so I too am wondering where this information is coming from also being an adult who suffers from ADD. I don't have behavior problems, I function fine without medication, but I have a difficult time concentrating, completing tasks, etc...I was also considered a gifted child and excelled in school. I have a 3.8 GPA in a double major of sociology/psychology with a minor in criminology and I currently am conducting research for a grant and have been asked to present in numerous classes. I'd say I'm quite well adjusted and do not have any "deeper issues present".
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    The answer to "why" we're experiencing an increase in spectrum disorders, food allergies, and how food and environment impacts these fields is still developing and relatively new.

The scientific evidence that we're seeing an actual increase in prevalence of autism spectrum disorders?

None.

Sure if one believes McScience from the media, press releases, or personal anecdotal life events - one might be familiar with the notion of an "autism epidemic". Is there descriptive epidemiology that supports the notion? No, there isn't. There is no good scientific data that supports the very premise that there's an actual increase in autism spectrum disorders, so implicating food and environment as an impact point, is premature and logically fallacious.

Yes, autism is *diagnosed* more than ever before in history. There are likely countless reasons: broadening and changing criteria, increased awareness, diagnostic substitution, reduced stigma in some areas, pursuit of necessary assistance/services, etc. etc.

In the IDEA special education data, increases in "autism" are more than offset by decreases in "mental retardation" and "specific learning disabilities" depending on what state you live in and which data sets you look at. The net result? The numbers of children enrolled in special education (as a percentage of the resident population) has been relatively unchanged for years. If there had been an epidemic of autism (all other things being equal), the numbers should have jumped, but they didn't.

Don't get me wrong, if a kid has relief from gastro-intestinal symptoms/pain, by removal of an offending dietary ingredient, that's great - and I would expect improvement in function/behavior for anyone (autistic or not) with reduction in discomfort and vomiting.
    Most experts on spectrum disorders will advise you to try a gluten free, casein free diet. Casein is found in dairy.

This is total B.S. and can really be best described as a bad appeal to McPopularity. Real experts on autism spectrum disorders don't generally suggest treatments that lack real scientific support. There is no sound science that supports an etiological (hence improvement with removal) origin of autism itself with gluten or casein. The original hypothesis put forward with respect to "leaky gut" due to intestinal damage (sometimes claimed due to a vaccine) leading to opioid excess, resulting in "autism symptoms" just ain't substantiated by the science.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/Supplement_1/S1.full

I had to do a thesis on autism spectrum disorders and the apparent links through vaccines idea that became popular a few years ago. My thesis was based on the approach that the doctor who supported this claim was, basically, a hack. Turns out. I was right. A few years after I did my thesis, his research was considered invalid by the medical field. I cannot for the life of me remember his name though, it was several years ago that I wrote it and I have a terrible memory.
  • phxJames
    Options
    Wakefield. Proposed the still mythical "autistic enterocholitis" as caused by mmr vaccine. Now retracted by the Lancet, and subsequently examined in great detail by BMJ. It appears to have been quite riddled with scientific fraud, and severe research ethics problems. People who believe his hypothesized bowel damage from mmr, as a reason to remove gluten or casein from an autistic child's diet are clinging to nonsense.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options

Thank you for sharing the article. The University of Florida (amongst others) is conducting some great research on understanding the relationship between gluten/casein proteins and brain activity for children with ASD:

http://www.peds.ufl.edu/divisions/genetics/programs/autism_card/casein.htm

You're correct that this scientific "theory" has not been proved. Are all scientific theories or drugs showing promise in clinical trials also considered "McScience" in your opinion too? The studies exist now because of the abundance of ASD children responding positively to removal of gluten and casein from their diets.

The CDC posted statistics on the increase of ASD in the U.S. on their website:

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/AutismPrevalence/

If something works for your child as a parent you continue with what works. I'm sure you would do the same. If removing gluten and casein from my son's diet helped reduce the prevalence and severity of his spectrum behaviors and digestive issues, then I'm staying with it. The intent of posting my experience was in case there were other MFP parents out there who had a child with similar symptoms looking for possible answers. What works for one may not work for all, but it certainly doesn't hurt to share our experience, especially when you have a positive response after hitting so many walls.

:flowerforyou:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

My son has ADHD, and is overall it is not exaggerated as you may think but I do see your point. Very smart child that easily gets bored, and that doesn't obey, doesn't listen to others, yells all crazy, and that does crazy things overall is one thing that my child is not because we take care of the behavior end as parents, however, when he was in school at first he would be very impulsive and we sought natural treatments and none worked. We chose to go the medication route 2 years ago and he has improved his behavior a lot in school, and his grades. However, he has lost a lot of weight as well. I taken him off the medication all summer long and he has been pretty good. In fact they lowered his dosages as well. With this in mind you have to think about parents who are not responsible like us. The ones who don't correct behaviors and go straight to the pill route. In that sense, ADD and ADHD is grossly exaggerated as a way to paralyze the children to make them machines.

I agree with you.
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    Wakefield. Proposed the still mythical "autistic enterocholitis" as caused by mmr vaccine. Now retracted by the Lancet, and subsequently examined in great detail by BMJ. It appears to have been quite riddled with scientific fraud, and severe research ethics problems. People who believe his hypothesized bowel damage from mmr, as a reason to remove gluten or casein from an autistic child's diet are clinging to nonsense.

Thank you! Yes. I read through the Lancet and was appalled by his research. It was aboslute rubbish.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    bump- to read later
  • phxJames
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the article. The University of Florida (amongst others) is conducting some great research on understanding the relationship between gluten/casein proteins and brain activity for children with ASD:

http://www.peds.ufl.edu/divisions/genetics/programs/autism_card/casein.htm

"Welcome to the portion of our website that is related to our past activities in Jacksonville involving the Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD; website ) and the Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resource System (FDLRS). Our division has been involved with these programs for the last 14 years but effective July 1, 2011, due to state budget cuts, our clinical program in Jacksonville was discontinued."

http://www.peds.ufl.edu/divisions/genetics/programs/autism_card.htm

As far as the page you linked to, it provides a great explanation of Celiac pathology, and of the opioid *hypothesis* with respect to autism.

My favorite part was this:
    The autism hypothesis involves, like celiac disease, the toxic effects of small peptides, generally in the range of five to seven amino acids in length (termed casomorphin and gliadorphin, as noted below). It is *believed* that these peptides from gluten, as well as certain peptides from cow milk protein (casein), *can somehow* cross the intestinal microvillus barrier and reach the blood stream. The theory *purports* that these peptides can then gain access into the brain by getting past the blood brain barrier. In the brain, certain amino acid sequences of these peptides then compete with the natural peptides (e.g., hormone/neurotransmitter peptides) of the body that bind to opioid receptors. Opioid receptors are G-protein receptors that are on the cell membrane surfaces of neurons and they have far reaching signaling effects. As the theory goes, binding to these opioid receptors leads to a perturbation of neuronal function that ultimately causes or contributes to the problem of autism.

(Emphasis, in the form of asterisks, mine)

Has science been able to confirm such a mechanism? Or the telltale presence of any of these peptides in autistic children?

Nope.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17520243

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18337276
    You're correct that this scientific "theory" has not been proved.

As far as scientific hypotheses go, opioid excess as an etiological factor for autism resulting from gluten and casein peptides that can't seem to be found in autistic children "somehow crossing the intestinal microvillus barrier" to impact the brain/behavior, doesn't look promising.
    Are all scientific theories or drugs showing promise in clinical trials also considered "McScience" in your opinion too?

Of course not. I would take issue with the actual scientific "promise" shown here, but when I say "McScience", I'm specifically referring to the things that seem often parroted by the likes of Jenny McCarthy, Oprah, Donald Trump, etc. (people in the media with often apparent poor science communication skills/understanding).
    The studies exist now because of the abundance of ASD children responding positively to removal of gluten and casein from their diets.

The popularity of the gluten and casein-free dietary restrictions as an "autism treatment" (and claims of positive response in parental anecdotes and alternative medicine circles) did prompt many studies. So did Secretin. What is the current evidence-based scientific consensus of such dietary restrictions as an autism treatment?
    The CDC posted statistics on the increase of ASD in the U.S. on their website:

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/AutismPrevalence/

There's a very important qualification in the CDC's statement on the page you linked:
    At CDC, we know that people want answers to what is causing this increase, and so do we. The reasons for the increase in the ***identified prevalence*** of ASDs are not understood completely. Some of the increase is due to the way children are identified, diagnosed, and served in their local communities, although exactly how much is due to these factors is unknown. Also, it is likely that reported increases are explained partly by greater awareness by doctors, teachers, and parents. To understand more, CDC will keep guiding and conducting research into what is putting our children at risk.

An increase in identified prevalence tells us exactly what I said:

This is very different than saying, "we're experiencing an increase in spectrum disorders".
    If something works for your child as a parent you continue with what works. I'm sure you would do the same.

I would, but the question is how do you determine what's really at work? I understand personal experience, but I also understand confirmation bias and many other cognitive traps parents can fall into in such situations.
    If removing gluten and casein from my son's diet helped reduce the prevalence and severity of his spectrum behaviors and digestive issues, then I'm staying with it.

I get potential digestive issues and impact on behavior (for anyone, autistic or not!), what I don't get is the specificity to autism. I'd be willing to bet that you're a great parent, attentive mom, and have encouraged your child in ways you may not even see that foster development, growth, and good behavior.

I think it's possible for many, that they deserve more of the credit than is so seemingly and willingly given to unsubstantiated opinion of popular "autism experts" about the effect gluten and casein mystery peptides on autism itself.
    The intent of posting my experience was in case there were other MFP parents out there who had a child with similar symptoms looking for possible answers. What works for one may not work for all, but it certainly doesn't hurt to share our experience, especially when you have a positive response after hitting so many walls.

Just so you know, I don't question your intent. I don't think it hurts to share your perspective. I also don't think it hurts to question aspects of that perspective as you've written.

Thank you for your polite response.

(edit: spelling and typos)
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    A few weeks before this noodle experience, I also had my first regular dairy in a long time...a small bowl of homemade ice cream...so delicious...and my stomach blew up like a balloon and I was miserable for hours. Obviously, I also won't be adding regular dairy back into my diet either.

You are now lactose intolerant. If you have given up dairy (which happens when people adopt a full Paleo eating style), your GI tract stops producing lactase. You cannot digest the sugar found in milk (lactose) and if you eat/drink diary you'll get pretty gassy and.or diarrhea.

Interestingly, undiagnosed celiacs often also have lactose-intolerance.

If you slowly reintroduce diary, starting with yogurt (very low lactose) and then have small amounts milk at the same time as a meal, many times the lactose-intolerance will resolve and your GI tract will resume lactase production.

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Masters
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    At CDC, we know that people want answers to what is causing this increase, and so do we. The reasons for the increase in the ***identified prevalence*** of ASDs are not understood completely. Some of the increase is due to the way children are identified, diagnosed, and served in their local communities, although exactly how much is due to these factors is unknown. Also, it is likely that reported increases are explained partly by greater awareness by doctors, teachers, and parents. To understand more, CDC will keep guiding and conducting research into what is putting our children at risk.

An increase in identified prevalence tells us exactly what I said:

This is very different than saying, "we're experiencing an increase in spectrum disorders".
    If something works for your child as a parent you continue with what works. I'm sure you would do the same.

I would, but the question is how do you determine what's really at work? I understand personal experience, but I also understand confirmation bias and many other cognitive traps parents can fall into in such situations.
    If removing gluten and casein from my son's diet helped reduce the prevalence and severity of his spectrum behaviors and digestive issues, then I'm staying with it.

I get potential digestive issues and impact on behavior (for anyone, autistic or not!), what I don't get is the specificity to autism. I'd be willing to bet that you're a great parent, attentive mom, and have encouraged your child in ways you may not even see that foster development, growth, and good behavior.

I think it's possible for many, that they deserve more of the credit than is so seemingly and willingly given to unsubstantiated opinion of popular "autism experts" about the effect gluten and casein mystery peptides on autism itself.
    The intent of posting my experience was in case there were other MFP parents out there who had a child with similar symptoms looking for possible answers. What works for one may not work for all, but it certainly doesn't hurt to share our experience, especially when you have a positive response after hitting so many walls.
    IMO ASD is the new "trendy diagnosis." It was bipolar mood disorder for the last several years, and ADHD before that. We go through interesting cycles where the diagnosis rate spikes, and then declines for various disorders (for a while there in the late 90's/early 2000's, there were demographic groups where the diagnosis rate of ADHD led to a statistically 'normal' population under 30%, which is just amazingly ludicrous, not to mention oxymoronic). A lot of physicians tend to play fast and loose with diagnostic criteria due to lack of familiarity with psychological disorders.

Throwing a diagnostic label and drugs at kids makes the parents happier than saying "you're a crappy parent, and your kid is a brat, get your **** together." It is _really_ demeaning to the people who legitimately suffer from the disorders though, as when you have ton of actually normal people receiving the diagnosis, it leads to people underestimating how impairing the disorder can actually be.

Just my 2c.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the judgment, but it appears that you are the ignorant one. I have plenty of self-control to function appropriately in society; however, I cannot concentrate and focus on tasks without extraordinary effort - even on activities that I enjoy and want to be doing. This is a problem I have been dealing with since childhood, and it has not gone away in adulthood. Maybe it doesn't appear in adulthood, but it certainly can continue into it, and I know I'm not the only person who is dealing with it. I would challenge you to get through a day the way I do. But hey, have yourself a wonderful day.
    You seem to have no trouble maintaining a pointless argument on the internet.
    Regarding ignorance... I have a degree in Psych, and my child and abnormal psych professor was a double-doctorate (Neuroscience and Psychology) whose thesis was on... guess which disorder? Hint: ADHD.
    While this does not make me a world-renowned expert on the subject, I feel confident that I have more knowledge than a layperson, particularly a self-diagnosed individual who has been told by medical professionals that they do not require medication, and yet still seeks it out.
    The judgement is justified: it is people like you who give the children who legitimately suffer from ADHD a bad name.

Your inference skills suck quite frankly. Never once did I say I was self diagnosed. My pediatrician, my current primary care physician, and a psychiatrist all returned diagnoses of ADD. My son was independently evaluated by both a child psychologist and his pediatrician and diagnosed with ADD. We both "legitimately" suffer. It is people like you that make people who legitimately suffer from ADD suffer in silence.

This will be my final word on the subject because frankly I don't need to convince you of anything. Besides, my ability to reply to an attack on my character apparently is proof positive that I don't have ADD. You say on your profile "Egotism, narcissism, and a smug sense of superiority." are why you want to get into shape, and I would say you're already there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some statistics I'd like to see are:

How many that have seen digestive improvements with cutting out gluten went from eating minimally processed whole grains with gluten to eating no gluten vs. how many went from eating overly processed grains to eating no gluten

How many who were eating overly processed gluten grains such as white bread and pasta tried switching to overly processed non-gluten products such as white rice bread or pasta and had good results.

It seems that on all the "grains are evil", "gluten is evil" or "carbs are evil" posts I've seen, people who gave them up were not eating whole grain before they did. That sounds more like "overly processed carbs are evil" to me.

My transition was from minimally processed whole grains to no grains (and as a result, gluten free). In other words, I went from a mostly real food diet *with* grains to a mostly real food diet *without* grains. I would characterize the "digestive improvements" as extraordinary.

Is it the gluten? Is it the lectins? Is it some magical universal blessing because I stopped harming the totally innocent wheat plant? Is it something else? No idea. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have my own personal theories on it, but can I say definitely that I know why? Absolutely not...and I'm okay with that.

About six months into my no grains/legumes/added sugar/soy/etc. journey where I experienced all of these improvements to my health, I had a substantial portion of plain old dead flour noodles in a hamburger casserole...and you know how my body reacted to it? Exactly...absolutely no response whatsoever (and it was freakin' delicious too...Mom's always been an awesome cook.) Completely fine. Am I now going to start eating grains as a regularly part of my diet? Absolutely not. (But why would I given how nutritionally weak grains are.)

A few weeks before this noodle experience, I also had my first regular dairy in a long time...a small bowl of homemade ice cream...so delicious...and my stomach blew up like a balloon and I was miserable for hours. Obviously, I also won't be adding regular dairy back into my diet either.

What does this mean for everyone else? No idea. Do what you want. But for me? I think I'll continue doing what works (for whatever reason) instead of doing what doesn't work (for whatever reason). Makes sense to me.

(EDIT: because there should always be an equal number of open and close parentheses...it's the law.)

If you gave all those foods up at once, you couldn't know if grains were causing any problems. Since when you added dead flour (is there such a thing as live flour??) back without problems, but experienced problems when adding dairy back, if you were experiencing problems before cutting these foods, it seems more logical that dairy was the cause.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

You are now lactose intolerant. If you have given up dairy (which happens when people adopt a full Paleo eating style), your GI tract stops producing lactase. You cannot digest the sugar found in milk (lactose) and if you eat/drink diary you'll get pretty gassy and.or diarrhea.

Interestingly, undiagnosed celiacs often also have lactose-intolerance.

If you slowly reintroduce diary, starting with yogurt (very low lactose) and then have small amounts milk at the same time as a meal, many times the lactose-intolerance will resolve and your GI tract will resume lactase production.

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Masters

Wow, this makes a LOT Of sense suddenly. I went vegan for a couple months last year (it didn't last for various reasons) and when I started eating regular foods again, I found lactose made me feel really nauseas. I can eat a little bit, but any more than 0.5-1 serving a day and I am in a lot of pain. I've switched to almond milk (soy made me break out) and greek yogurt (which I realize is dairy but supposedly it has less of an effect than other yogurts, I've noticed). I actually never thought about the fact that I went vegan...I thought I just randomly became lactose intolerant!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here who feels like this is less of a post and more of an advertisement? Buy my book, the original post implies. How about get it from the library. And pay for your advertising instead of disguising it as a post on a message board. Just my humble opinion.

Most of the posts by OP are all about who she is, what she does, and her book. I am not clicking on them anymore. Gross overstatements.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading Wheat Belly. Excellent book.

I gave up gluten about ten weeks ago. I was taking motrin (joint pain), protonix (acid reflux), proventil and flovent (asthma), singulair (allergies), neurontin (nerve burning and neuralgial headaches), and synthroid (hypothyroidism).

Now I only take the synthroid and that is at a lower dose!!!!

If I had known what I know today about gluten, I would have given it up years ago.

The problem is that when wheat is hybridized, it combines the number of genes. Compare that to humans, where the infant takes on some characteristics of each parent. Wheat takes on all the characteristics of each parent.

Over the years, as Einkorn wheat was hybridized and the result of that hybridization hybridized and so on, the amount of gluten in wheat has practically quadrupled. This is why we have people with Celiac disease, gluten allergies, and gluten sensitivity.

Now, I believe that those with gluten sensitivity actually have gluten allergies. It is just the first step toward the allergy. Further exposure will push the person toward an allergy, so let's call it what it really is - gluten allergy.

Celiac is known for the characteristic digestive issues, but they are finding that there may be people who are not affected digestive-wise. They may have issues with allergies, headaches, migraines, joint pain, nerve issues, urinary incontinence, etc. I am of the feeling that these things should also be called Celiac Disease because the problems are being caused by gluten in the diet.

The reason why people with gluten issues gain weight is quite simple - their body is starving because of the damage to the digestive system and other systems, causing the metabolism to slow down and the body to hold on to all it can as far as energy reserves. This should sound familiar to those here at MFP - it is just like starvation mode. The slower metabolism and holding on to energy reserves (fat) means that the person can be overweight and still have gluten issues.

I find it interesting that the further out I go with staying away from gluten, the smaller a dose of synthroid I have to take. I will say that the joint pain, tender abdomen, bloating, and indigestion went away within three days. The asthma and allergy issues got better within three weeks. The nerve issues took about six weeks. I am happy, though, for all these improvement.

If anyone is on multiple medications, I would recommend that you try a gluten-free diet for at least six to eight weeks and see how you feel. It may help and it may not help. You will not know until you try.

I have done some reading on this also and agree...goes back to the olden days when most people were not exposed to gluten and now a lot of our food has gluten in it.....yeast is another culprit that can cause a lot of health issues....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    As for ADD medication, my son does quite well on it and I went from factory worker to scholarship college student in my late twenties and early thirties on it.

However, there is an argument that ADD medication will make anyone smarter and more focused. Many colllege students who aren't ADD will get it and take it when they can while cramming for finals.

I don't know who it works for or why, and I don't really care. All I know is, when I'm on it and it's working, I'm smarter, more focused, and more social.

Sadly, it doesn't always work in tolerable and safe doses for the rest of a person's life. My doctor bumped me up to a dosage I couldn't tolerate and that was the end of ADD medication for now.

I have told my son (who is less ADD than I am) that he should stop taking it when he starts college and see how it goes, and if that doesn't work for him, he should try stopping again when he finishes higher education and see how that goes. I don't want him on it for the rest of his life. It makes a bad crutch.