Is there any defectors from other sites ?

Options

Replies

• alphabetsalad
    alphabetsalad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I came here from Weight Watchers Online, and haven't regretted it for a minute! I've consistently lost more weight each week since joining MFP than I ever did on WW, and the fact that it's FREE is the calorie-free icing on the cake! MFP has an amazing set of resources, and I tell pretty well everyone I meet about it.
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to use SparkPeople, but I was never really dedicated. I like that they have a variety of things to keep you coming back to the site (daily wheel spins, awards, etc) but it never worked for me. Felt too cluttered and like a popularity contest.

^ true...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Spark People, but wasn't amused. Seemed too cluttered. Love this site, so glad I found it!
  • BogusAnnie
    Options
    I am on SparkPeople as well. I have been for a couple of years....I only came to MFP for my sisters. One of them finds SP too cluttered. I have to say MFP food database is by far the best out there....but I LOVE SparkPeople for the community. I don't find it cluttered at all, I find it more customizable. :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I checked out SparkPeople once too, but it reeked of MySpace. I did use a site called FatSecret for the first yr & a half of my weight loss & really liked their food diary & smartphone app, but the database wasn't nearly as big as MFPs. Plus the forums there aren't laid out as well as these ones are so it's hard to keep track of topics you post in.

And why is this news that Americans eat a lot?
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to use SparkPeople, but I was never really dedicated. I like that they have a variety of things to keep you coming back to the site (daily wheel spins, awards, etc) but it never worked for me. Felt too cluttered and like a popularity contest.

This. I loved SP but I love the uncluttered down to business format of this site more. I do wish that some features of MFP were more like SP (the communities, the articles) though.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I've been on them all. Fitday, Sparkpeople, Fatsecret, Dailyburn, Bodybuilding.com and MFP has a better all around system.
  • scornholio
    scornholio Posts: 11
    Options
    Did Livestrong but prefer the support system here and the mobile interface is easier.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If Americans know one thing, its gathering intelligence and food. Have you seen the average American, they eat a lot of food.

Huh?? Am I the only one the finds this slightly offensive?

He's an American if you read the full comment. He wasn't being offensive. Plus, it's true. Americans are insatiable when it comes to stuffing our faces.

PS, I'm just a defector of my own methods (which never worked! haha).
  • mommytobrayden
    mommytobrayden Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If Americans know one thing, its gathering intelligence and food. Have you seen the average American, they eat a lot of food.

He's an American if you read the full comment. He wasn't being offensive. Plus, it's true. Americans are insatiable when it comes to stuffing our faces.

THIS!

Don't know why you would be offended by it...it is the truth. Americans eat WAY too much!
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I came from fitday. Also free, but their database was limited and they didn't have an android app, so I switched.

Same here. I had been on fitday for years, too. But this is better. :-)
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I joined SparkPeople over 5 years ago when I started to get serious about fitness and nutrition. I liked it a lot back then and as a newbie I learned a good deal of information and ran my first 5K. After that, the magic was sort of gone (plus their food tracker is not that user friendly).

I used other random sites in the meantime until I finally found MFP. MFP's tracker and big food database is what made me join at first. Then I noticed a very active community as well. So here I am!
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

thats why I said "slightly." Sounded off to me... But ok

Oh and I used Weight Watchers online. MFP is far better!
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was scared because it's an American Based Site and I live in the UK that the food database and scanner won't work. No one thing HASN'T scanned.

I tried to scan the dog food and that didn't work!
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used loseit.com for a long time and was successful. This site just has more interaction and I'm glad my sister's friend suggested it. It's the BEST site by far that I've seen. And free! I'd actually pay for it. lol The android app, scanning function, positive motivating people. No way you can log on daily and not be successful in any plan you decide to take on your weight loss or fitness goals. TWO thumbs up! lol :)
  • Chispasv
    Chispasv Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was on Livestrong (it was better when it was the Daily Plate) but couldn't find nutritional information on many of my foods. So far, I have found EVERYTHING I have searched for or scanned at MFP! Plus, love the Android app.
  • medpal
    medpal Posts: 44
    Options
    I was and still use real age. did not drop the weight like this site. real age gives some good info on several things.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I was scared because it's an American Based Site and I live in the UK that the food database and scanner won't work. No one thing HASN'T scanned.

I tried to scan the dog food and that didn't work!
    Am I the only one who wants to know why dog food WOULD be in the database??
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

I also came over from Sparkpeople.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i was on spark people for awhile. but it just got annoying! if you started a group, there were people that were just lurking around waiting for you to miss a posting day so they could literally TAKE the group away from you and claim all the credit of the group after you put the work into starting it! it's all popularity and no substance!

I'LL TAKE MFP ANY DAY over ANY other site! this is the first site that i have consistently logged in. proud to say that my log in number now is 385 days in a row! not bad if you ask me....only missed like 3 days do to no reception on my phone in the middle of no where(LITERALLY). I could NEVER have that kinda dedication on SP. There is so much more support here making you WANT to come back day after day!

♥MFP♥