Life WITHOUT MyFitnessPal ... Can we do it?

Options

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I have a calculator, pen and paper. I think I can do it.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    Even if/when I am fully aware of the cals, protein, sodium, cholesterol, etc I am taking in and what choices are better and what to stay away from, I will still always need/want the awesome support system MFP gives! :)

I would also want to be able to support people just starting out as I was supported. :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :angry: NO
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight (173 - 141), but stopped the first time; but then, my life hit a REALLY rough patch and I just couldn't fight 'city hall' ,as it were. Went back up to 163.

FF to about 6 months ago. Wanted to drop all the weight again. I logged for about a month, then stopped exercising and logging food. I kept up the excellent eating habits, and I have continued to drop weight. Started at 163 in January, and I'm down to 148 today. Last two lost pounds I can only attribute to new anti-depressants simply because I lost them SO fast and it corresponded to beginning these meds.

Of course, I'm almost as weak as a kitten, but I'm working on some issues (started smoking again during this rough patch) and will be back at the gym in another month or so.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You mean there is a life away from MFP:huh: ?
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    ws9t03.gif
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I could do it without MFP but why would I want to? I love my pals here.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I plan on sticking around not just because I like MFP but also because I want to help, if I can, those that come here. There are a lot of people that have stayed here after they've reached their goals and I would not have learned what I have if it hadn't been for their unselfishness.:drinker: :drinker:
    I've been thinking a lot about this topic. While it is true that myfitnesspal has aided in my successful weight loss of 50 pounds since September 2011, I don't believe long term use of this app is realistic. If I truly want to learn these healthy behaviors and habits on my own, should I expect to always have myfitnesspal around to help me? Eventually, I want to just *know* how to eat, exercise, and live healthy ... and I can honestly say that I'm getting there! I'm NOT on a diet ... I've changed my habits and beliefs about food. By now, it should be a habit, right? And if I were really being honest, I'm bored as heck with logging. Logging, logging, logging is all I do all day long. :laugh:

Are you planning to use myfitnesspal long term? Do you have plans to eventually wean yourself off? Do you have faith/confidence in yourself to live a healthy life without it?
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a pretty good handle on things. I lost weight before MFP and I'm certain I can maintain without it. However, MFP has become that little shoulder angel who whispers in my ear just before I do something I'm going to regret. I for one do not want to live in a world without MFP.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    KEWWu.gif
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    ditto! It's a great place!
    I could do it without MFP but why would I want to? I love my pals here.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Well said and ditto;):drinker: :drinker:
    I feel like I have a pretty good handle on things. I lost weight before MFP and I'm certain I can maintain without it. However, MFP has become that little shoulder angel who whispers in my ear just before I do something I'm going to regret. I for one do not want to live in a world without MFP.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    :laugh: Gotta get me some of these!!
    KEWWu.gif
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    From past experience, once I stop tracking what I eat, I slowly increase my calories and "forget" what I put in my mouth. This is where I get held accountable. I will never stop using MFP, it is part of my stategy to maintain my weight.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ws9t03.gif
    :bigsmile:
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    ArnoldNoTeethDGDO_48f.gif
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP because it was a good tool - now I keep coming back because it give me a chance to reflect on what i'm eating and if I'm being healthy. The biggest plus is the friends I've make - As long as I gain benefits - physically and emotionally, I see no reason to stop using MFP. Plus I have more weight to lose.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I will say that I can totally relate to your boredom with logging, measuring, etc... I donwanna! BUT, I lost 50# with WW several years ago by logging foods and exercising. Stress, coupled with not logging, resulted in the return of about 40 of those pounds. I'm pretty convinced that (even if it's spotty, and I only track 3-4 days/week), I'll need to track everything... forever.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I imagine that once I've achieved and maintained my goal for a few months I'll start weaning myself off tracking every calorie I take in or burn off. But I plan to keep weighing myself regularly to see if I'm being successful at "eyeballing" my food intake. If I find the weight is creeping back on, I'll know I'm not ready to fly solo yet.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood the characterization of using MFP as a "crutch" or something I need to wean myself off of. If and when it stops being useful, I'll likely stop using it.

MFP is just a tool. It provides me information, laughter, an ability to track calories and a connection with people all over the world. Since using MFP for awhile now, I have noticed the way my body responds to calories, and I can guess pretty accurately how many calories I've consumed based on when I start feeling hungry again. I also know the calorie range that I like to eat.

I could probably get by without a speedometer in my car. I can usually judge about how fast I'm going. But I'm not getting rid of the speedo (or the banana hammock). It's information that may be useful. I know some people may get obsessive and/or spend too much time on MFP. I take breaks occasionally. But there is a huge social component for me. I can't imagine not being in contact with some of my MFP friends for a long period of time. And I know I've rubbed off on some of them.