Somebody Help Me!

Options
I have been REALLY good for the past two weeks and have been planning a night out with some friends.
We are going to Cantina Laredo for dinner and I decided that I was going to order whatever I felt like and not worry about the calories or the fat.
Well, now that it's here, I'm reconsidering. I have recently lost 5 lbs. and I really don't want to gain any of it back.
Does anyone have a suggestion or know what I should order? I looked at their menu on-line and everything sounds so fattening. I searched for nutrition facts, but they don't offer any.
I want to have a good time and I know the margaritas will be very tempting (expecially if I'm the only one without one) and just need some helpful advise.
Thank you!

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    get the margarita if that's what you want- allow yourself 1 splurge item, but account for it in your calories that day- and you can always order a salad with a vinaigrette dressing on the side- get EVERYTHING on the side, then you can portion control it better, but decide which ONE splurge item is worth it, and save up some calories for it, and enjoy guilt free!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Well how about that there could be upwards of 500 calories in one of those drinks???? i think it's like 180 calories per serving usually and a "serving" is NOT that big...so...instead of feeling left out maybe opt for something lighter to drink and dont feel "left out" feel GREAT that you made a smart choice.... There's a restaurant here called Milestones and they make the BEST Belini drink on earth...once i found out the calories in one...honestly...even on a cheat time it is JUST not worth it!!!!! it's GROSS....So i say have a lighter drink and mexican food usually if you forgo the rice or whatever and just have something with veggies and chicken....wont be too bad......plus even if you do have rice, all the calories your saving from the drink.......i say just ENJOY!!!
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just checked out the dinner menu. The pollo tampico looks good. It's a grilled chicken breast topped with sauteed artichokes, red peppers and spinach. Just nix the creme sauce and Monterrey jack cheese. Ask them to not use any butter with the sauteed veggies. Ask them if that have olive oil, which is unlikely since it's a Mexican restaurant, to use that instead.
  • camrauch
    Options
    Be very careful of Mexican Restaurants! My friend and I have a restaurant here in Texas that we love, but found out that each time we ate there, we both gained about two pounds and figured out it was the sodium causing us to retain fluid! So sometimes, it's not just calories, but sodium as with Mexican Restaurants! So have fun and just be careful! You've done really well to lose five pounds! Maybe just read the menu really closely, but in the end order a nice Grilled Chicken Salad and try not to eat too many chips and salsa! Good Luck!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, Mexican restaraunts are a weakness of mine.:blushing: I know what you SHOULD do, not that is what I usually do.:tongue: First, try to stay away from the chips. They are very fat and calorie heavy. Tortillas tend to have a lot of fat in them also, so you might want to avoid those. One tip I've gotten, is to order a fajita but just eat the insides by themselves without eating the tortillas they send with them. Another tip I do use, is to ask for a box right after they bring your food, and put half of it in the box. That way you won't be tempted to eat everything on your plate, and even if you do, only half of it was there to begin with! As for the margarita, I personally would just have one. Of course, I don't drink very often (it tends to make me VERY sleepy), so when I have the chance to have a drink I take it.:drinker:

Good luck with the choices for tonight! And in the end, remember: it's only 1 day. It takes a surplus of around 3000 calories (I think) to gain a pound, and I doubt you will eat THAT much! Now you may retain some water because of all the sodium, but if you drink enough water it will come right back off.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I will keep this all in mind when ordering and pray that I make the right choices.