A Moment of Silence

Options
2»

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    The lesson I take from this: a sentiment, no matter how agreeable, is best expressed in as few words as possible.

:laugh:
  • ghostdreams89
    Options

So you are not special in their eyes?

Look, I didn't bring this post up for arguments. If you don't like what I wrote then don't read it. Thank you.

I would hope not. It takes a lot to be special. Throwing it around to describe every person ruins the true meaning of the word.

And how would I know I wouldn't like it, if I didn't read it?

Sounds to me like you just wanted everyone to say how special you were for writing this. I'm sure you aren't the first and most certainly won't be the last.

Okay. See it how you will. Thank you for your comments.
  • ghostdreams89
    Options
    The lesson I take from this: a sentiment, no matter how agreeable, is best expressed in as few words as possible.

I'm sorry the length of my compassion offended you. Thank you for your comment.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options

I'm sorry the length of my compassion offended you. Thank you for your comment.

Oh please, get over yourself.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It bums me out to read your statement saying that you will never do anything with your life, because you have so much time ahead of you! I didn't know squat when I was your age (I'm 41 and people older than me would probably say I don't know squat either... lol), but I remember feeling much the same way you describe when I was in my 20s --- not feeling anything "click" with me, not knowing what lay ahead, feeling angry or hopeless.

But it gets better with time, and you'll make choices that will lead you to where you are supposed to be. It may not be where you think... but if you follow your true happiness and passions, you will get there. You may not be a famous singer (or maybe you will!), but perhaps you will become an inspiration or teacher for others, or a songwriter or producer or a million other things that will be just as rewarding (or more!)

The way the Aurora tragedy struck a chord with you is your conscience or soul trying to wake you up. Follow your dream, do something you love, find a way to help people in your community, spend time with people who empower you and cut the ties with the things (and people) in your life that don't contribute to your health and happiness.

Hang in there. It gets better!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm now 23 years old (Had my B*Day in April) and have officially done nothing with my life and I know I never will. This is the truth of my life.

At 23 you're so young and your life (even though it may not seem like it) is really just beginning. We humans have this terrible habit of measuring our success / worth in relative terms always comparing ourselves to others for validation.

I'll let you in on a secret, what really counts in this life is how you conduct yourself, how you treat others, your compassion and your humanity - everything else is just window dressing. I'm getting old enough now that I've buried a few of my friends and (yes - I'm a little morbid at times) see the occasional familiar name when I skim the obituaries and can honestly tell you that the things we often consider mundane are often the most important. I'm lucky in that I didn't become a father until I was just shy of 40 and have had the good fortune of being able to spend a great deal of time with my children, I may not be able to afford a monster home or drive a BMW but the value of time spent with family is immeasurable.

I'm not a religious person but one of the common themes I see in almost all of the world's spiritual movements is trying to make sense of human suffering, to explain how we can be such an incredible species one moment and indescribably barbaric the next. I still often wonder why I was so lucky to be born in a rich country while others are born into abject poverty - I did nothing to merit it. Life is random at times and life is unfair, to live is to suffer; what counts is how that suffering shapes you and as long as it doesn't harden your heart you will live a far more important life than any celebrity or movie star.
  • ghostdreams89
    Options
    It bums me out to read your statement saying that you will never do anything with your life, because you have so much time ahead of you! I didn't know squat when I was your age (I'm 41 and people older than me would probably say I don't know squat either... lol), but I remember feeling much the same way you describe when I was in my 20s --- not feeling anything "click" with me, not knowing what lay ahead, feeling angry or hopeless.

But it gets better with time, and you'll make choices that will lead you to where you are supposed to be. It may not be where you think... but if you follow your true happiness and passions, you will get there. You may not be a famous singer (or maybe you will!), but perhaps you will become an inspiration or teacher for others, or a songwriter or producer or a million other things that will be just as rewarding (or more!)

The way the Aurora tragedy struck a chord with you is your conscience or soul trying to wake you up. Follow your dream, do something you love, find a way to help people in your community, spend time with people who empower you and cut the ties with the things (and people) in your life that don't contribute to your health and happiness.

Hang in there. It gets better!!

Thank you... That was very touching! (Brought tears to my eyes!!!) I know you are right. Thank you sooooo much!
  • ghostdreams89
    Options
    I'm now 23 years old (Had my B*Day in April) and have officially done nothing with my life and I know I never will. This is the truth of my life.

At 23 you're so young and your life (even though it may not seem like it) is really just beginning. We humans have this terrible habit of measuring our success / worth in relative terms always comparing ourselves to others for validation.

I'll let you in on a secret, what really counts in this life is how you conduct yourself, how you treat others, your compassion and your humanity - everything else is just window dressing. I'm getting old enough now that I've buried a few of my friends and (yes - I'm a little morbid at times) see the occasional familiar name when I skim the obituaries and can honestly tell you that the things we often consider mundane are often the most important. I'm lucky in that I didn't become a father until I was just shy of 40 and have had the good fortune of being able to spend a great deal of time with my children, I may not be able to afford a monster home or drive a BMW but the value of time spent with family is immeasurable.

I'm not a religious person but one of the common themes I see in almost all of the world's spiritual movements is trying to make sense of human suffering, to explain how we can be such an incredible species one moment and indescribably barbaric the next. I still often wonder why I was so lucky to be born in a rich country while others are born into abject poverty - I did nothing to merit it. Life is random at times and life is unfair, to live is to suffer; what counts is how that suffering shapes you and as long as it doesn't harden your heart you will live a far more important life than any celebrity or movie star.

Thank you for that comment. And you are right. I'm young and I don't always see things how I should. That is why I am thankful for who and what I do have. Thanks you so much...