Help lose the pear shape?

Options
Hey there guys! I was wondering if anyone had some secret workout that helps them slim down their lower stomach, hips, and thighs? I am a very typical "pear shape" and I help to even everything out. I do a lot of biking, squats, and leg extensions right now in my current workout routine. Upper body stays limited to toning.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!!

-p.s.- feel free to add me too if you want! Extra support is always helpfull <3

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's not a secret: it's called "lose body fat", period.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah ^^ you cannot spot reduce. Just keep losing the fat over all. Where you store fat is genetics.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's not a secret: it's called "lose body fat", period.

^^^This. I would also add, hard work, sweat, and a healthy disciplined diet. No quick fixes - sorry!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    when u lose fat, it will automatically come from those places. i use the elliptical and go for walks with my dog
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will actually never lose the pear shape, its genetic but you can make it a new ripe pear. Btw, if by toning you mean low weight high rep, then i will tell you to reverse it. There is no such thing as toning and high weight low rep (6-10) will burn more fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Too add, you really can't "change" your shape. You can enhance some muscle and show more definition, but if you have pear shape, it will always be a pear shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenniprr
    jenniprr Posts: 119
    Options
    I also have a pear shape. It's my understanding that loosing weight overall will help but that you can't really change your the shape you were born with. I am aiming for overall fat loss, increasing muscle and also trying to do extra work on my shoulders. I am thinking that if I can get my shoulders a bit more buff, it might help me look a little more proportionate. But I could be wrong LOL Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Too add, you really can't "change" your shape. You can enhance some muscle and show more definition, but if you have pear shape, it will always be a pear shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Beat you to it, lol.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped too - and regardless of my weight - it is always going to be distributed as such - the only solution is to lose overall body fat. Building upper body muscle can help balance you out.... :flowerforyou:
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said, mostly. I am a true pear shape. I can lose weight everywhere else at first just fine. Torso leaning out, back fat disappearing, stomach area getting smaller, etc. MY HIPS WILL HOLD ONTO EVERY FAT CELL FOR DEAR LIFE. Then, after i'm about a size Small in Junior's up top, my 45 inch hips decide they would like to participate. LOL

Just keep working hard, it will come. I'm finding that running is what got my hips/butt/thighs smaller. Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped and what helped was doing heavy strength training. My *kitten* got smaller and my shoulders got a bit wider. It really helped balanced my shape
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect your upper body. A good pair of shoulders will help balance out larger hips. Think hour glass shape, adding a little extra muscle to you top half will not only look good but will improve your fat burning rate overall.
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson has a highly regarded workout program, "Metamorphosis" with three options based on body shape-you might want to check that out. Adding a little muscle to your back, chest and arms helps to visually balance towards a hourglass look.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Past few posters have beaten me to it...once a pear shape, forever a pear shape. I'm one too and it is so frustrating as I'm now a smaller size in my tops but my bottom half will always be a size bigger than my top half.

One thing I have done through muscle and yoga workouts is gained muscle in my thighs and I love feeling tough strong muscle in the back of my thighs knowing that although they aren't nice and small, there's not as much fat in them as there used to be since muscle has been built there.

Enjoy being a sweet juicy pear (I really want a pear now), may not be hourglass (the 'ideal' body shape) HOWEVER the right clothes can help with that:wink:
    I've been watching too much Gok Wan (I love him!)
  • julespringle
    Options
    Learn to love the pear shape, its a true womanly shape and its not going anywhere
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was a big pear, now I'm a smaller pear....I went out with a friend that Imet on here last Saturday night, she told me to embrace my pear shape...so now that's what I'm trying to do. I found that jogging has helped me.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I went from a squishy pear to a tight firm pear, but I will always have hips and a booty. I consider this to be a good thing! Embrace your shape, and work on lowering your body fat percentage. You'll be pleased with the results- I promise.
  • xxalmostgoldenxx
    Options
    Yay, loving all the pear shaped ladies on here! I'm definitely a pear too, I used to absolutely hate it, but I've definitely become more tolerant over the years! I agree with what everyone else has said, there's no way to change your body shape, if you're a pear, you'll stay a pear, spot training just doesn't work. However, you can definitely work to being the best pear you can be!

(P.S. I always find a decent bra tends to even me out a bit more ;P)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped and what helped was doing heavy strength training. My *kitten* got smaller and my shoulders got a bit wider. It really helped balanced my shape

^^ditto
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    although there is no such thing as spot reduction, take solace in knowing that research indicates carrying fat in the hips and legs is significantly less of a health concern than belly fat. A silver lining?