bacon and calories...

Options
The bacon package in question says 80 calories/ 60 from fat for 2 fried slices...

so if i fry bacon in a pan and it cooks in its own grease, does it have more fat and calories than if i were to cook it in the microwave on a paper towel to absorb the grease?

also, what about if it is wrapped around/inside a piece of meat?

what's the "healthiest" way to cook bacon?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Um. Just use the numbers on the package. You won't change it by patting it, or wrapping it around other meat. 80 cals. Keep it simple.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Healthiest way to eat bacon... really... really...
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    yeah, when in doubt, just use the packaging labels.
    sometimes i wonder too, but if it says 2 slices, and you cooked 2 slices, no matter hwo you cook it, it is what it is.
    or else it would say different nutritional info for each way of cooking it hehe.
  • ashbee03
    Options

HEY, everything in moderation right ?
    might as well enjoy some things.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    good question... I wouldnt worry about it, but good question.
    id imagine the microwave method would be lower calories, since you're consuming less grease... that said... I would still log it as packaged.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to eat bacon is about once a month. :-)
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options

I agree...I mean, if I strictly avoided everything that is bad for me I would have nothing but celery to eat! I'm losing weight pretty quickly just by having the "good stuff" as a treat and not several times a day. And yeah...I have wondered about what happens to the calories and fat if I melt the cheese and dab off the fat with a napkin lol It probably does help some, but I'm not gonna record it as a difference. My body will notice if there is less fat that way and that's all that counts.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

but the BEST way to eat bacon is about consistency... constantly eating bacon.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    cook it in the oven....if you must have healthy :noway: :laugh:
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options

LOL ^^^This! But as far as cooking methods go I have seen people bake it on a pan with a rack so the grease drips below as you cook it.

Editing to add, based on your OP, I would not record different NI based on cooking it this way. I wouldn't know how to and i don't know or think that it would make a significant difference. Cooking it differently would just give you some peace of mind if you wanted to eat bacon without cooking it in it's own grease, but would not save you any calories or fat. Hope that helps answer your questions.
  • ashbee03
    Options

I agree...I mean, if I strictly avoided everything that is bad for me I would have nothing but celery to eat! I'm losing weight pretty quickly just by having the "good stuff" as a treat and not several times a day. And yeah...I have wondered about what happens to the calories and fat if I melt the cheese and dab off the fat with a napkin lol It probably does help some, but I'm not gonna record it as a difference. My body will notice if there is less fat that way and that's all that counts.

yeah, i always dab my bacon after anyways.
    but i still use the nutritional info on the package.
    but my bacon is always almost burnt too, so you'd think there would be less fat ...
    but you never know.
    i just use the package and like the other person said "keep it simple"
    aslong as you're tracking it.
    and if there really is more fat, or less fat, or calories or whatever, your body will notice.
  • Tyidwo
    Tyidwo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Id bet pan is better than microwave... I always have a lot of excess grease in the pan after cooking bacon, a lot more than seems to be on the paper towel after using the microwave. Also, its a widely known fact that bacon is a weight loss/super food, dont let anyone tell you different!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In its raw state, pork bacon has approximately 128 calories per slice. Bacon cooked in a microwave has approximately 37 calories per slice. Several factors determine the number of calories in each cooked slice
    Blotting And Draining

Appliances for cooking bacon in the microwave may have drainage channels. Cooking the bacon on a paper towel, or other blotting substance, also removes a lot of the fat. The more fat you drain, the lower the calorie counts. If the bacon cooks in its own fat, the calorie count increases.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313373-calories-in-microwave-bacon/#ixzz21aFGPEXT
  • reesa418
    reesa418 Posts: 22
    Options

thank you! bacon isn*t bad...its how much you eat that is bad!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I guess our method isn't best either.

:Dipped in funnel cake batter and fried:

we actually only did that twice. and, I am probably STILL working off that little bite of heaven. But, that's OK.
  • reesa418
    Options
    thanks everyone!!
  • ashbee03
    Options

thank you! bacon isn*t bad...its how much you eat that is bad!

exactly !
    i have 2 slices every now and then, doesn't hurt me !
    now if i had 2 slices a day, it may hurt a little.
    you gotta enjoy everything !
    just in small portions and moderation.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I ate bacon this morning and it was delicious!
  • reesa418
    Options
    In its raw state, pork bacon has approximately 128 calories per slice. Bacon cooked in a microwave has approximately 37 calories per slice. Several factors determine the number of calories in each cooked slice
    Blotting And Draining

Appliances for cooking bacon in the microwave may have drainage channels. Cooking the bacon on a paper towel, or other blotting substance, also removes a lot of the fat. The more fat you drain, the lower the calorie counts. If the bacon cooks in its own fat, the calorie count increases.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313373-calories-in-microwave-bacon/#ixzz21aFGPEXT

thanks for the info!
  • 24debbie
    24debbie Posts: 14
    Options
    I tried turkey bacon over the weekend and loved it..Half the calories too..