Life WITHOUT MyFitnessPal ... Can we do it?

Options

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I will probably be on here for life.

I like knowing what goes into my body at all times and keeping track in a diary.

I have also met some of the most amazing friends ever on here.. Never leaving them. xoxo
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i am an addict for life! love this site, love logging, love the forums, love it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in about 3 weeks now. Doing good. yes, my ultimate goal is to quit all the non-sense of logging food. But, I've been at it for years now, so I would suggest that people keep at it until you know stuff by heart. Like I can grab a handful of raw almonds, throw them on the scale, and they will be very very close to one serving, I know this because I do it randomly sometimes with my food, even though I'm not logging. I'll throw on some rice, or whatever and just see if I'm in the ballpark, and I usually am. So, if I can at least maintain, I wont worry about it.
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The future is just to long to plan for.

I will use it for as long as i feel the need to.

i have never been much of a journal-er... but apparently research shows that you can have better results when you do journal...

so journal journal journal.

It may take some additional time.. but it is all about priorities
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    MFP por vida!!!!! I can't see why I would stop. Everything should be done in moderation though, so if its too cumbersome for you maybe there needs to be a modification. Good luck!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes. I came here to get that weight off and I nearly have. Now my goals are changing. I don't want to lose any more fat without gaining muscle. I'm ready to just eat what I feel like and work out and that be good enough. I'm about there.

I'm at a point where I naturally eat my maintenance calories if I'm mindful and don't eat out of pain, stress, boredom, or emotion.

I don't need the website anymore to tell me what I'm doing wrong or doing right. I can take it from here. I'll probably leave when I've been here a year.

After that school will start and I'll be busy enough with the fall semester. I'm going to start working out in the gym here at school that I'll have access to again. I know what I should eat and how much. I want to see if I can do it on my own. I need to know.

I might check back with my friends once in a while to see how they're doing. But to be honest, I'll likely be on hiatus from all online activity. That's just how it is when I'm doing what I need to be doing with school.

I guess I hadn't really thought about it before you asked, but this is probably what will happen.

It's been an amazing year and I'm thankful for everyone I've met here. I won't delete my account by any means. I hope no one deletes me.

:happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I used to doubt it... Went through about 5 months where I didn't track anything before I joined MFP and I gained 10 pounds. That was over the holidays and I wasn't exercising as much as usual due to bad winter weather and I let some bad habits creep back in.

But then I tested it again recently over vacation. Went 5 days without tracking and I only gained a pound! That was with no real dedicated exercise (did some walking around and lazy swimming) and making good food choices. So I think I could do it but as others have said, it's a great tool, why not stick with it as long as I feel I need to?

I'm pretty sure I'll be an active member for at least the next couple years. It'll probably take me another year to get to goal and then I want to maintain for a while to make sure I can do it. After that, I might lay off logging for a while just to see how I do but stay active in the social parts of the site to support my friends and help out the newbies.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds with MFP logging everything, save for a 10 day vacation out of the country with no internet access. I then maintained for 2 months and decided to try not logging weekends. I maintained my weight steadily. Fast forward to almost 6 months maintenance and lately I haven't been logging when I go away for a weekend, whether it is 2 or 4 days. Still maintaining and holding steady. I do not want to be attached to this app for the rest of my life but am afraid to entirely stop logging for fear of gaining it back. So for now, I mostly log only on weekdays so long as I am not traveling.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont need the app anymore, i use my brain instead. But i come here to talk shop with the peeps.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    I probably will end up using it for quite a while after I reach my goal. I find security in logging my food intake. I have also realized that I eat much less when I have to record it....I don't let myself eat without thinking. But who knows, maybe by the time I get to where I want to be (probably a year or so from now) I might have developed such good habits that I don't need to record everything. I guess we will see. But for now, I am learning to enjoy the journey and seeing my successes.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    MFP for life!!

^^^This!!!

I worry about what happens when MFP goes under (because, if I get healthy I plan to live to 100 and I am not sure if MFP will be here in 2076).

My doctor told me that "I won't always do this, I will just know how to do things/eat the right way". Really? I spent 35 years getting fat. It happens easily when you don't track. No matter how much money you have in your bank account, you still balance your checkbook?

MFP for life!
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

But then I tested it again recently over vacation. Went 5 days without tracking and I only gained a pound! That was with no real dedicated exercise (did some walking around and lazy swimming) and making good food choices. So I think I could do it but as others have said, it's a great tool, why not stick with it as long as I feel I need to?

So you gained a pound in 5 days of vacation while making good food choices? That is why for me I want to keep using this, regardless.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, I just like posting on the forums. And I'm still losing weight.
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, I could do it but , " No" I choose not to give it up today or in the near future. This is an awesome tool and support system, keeps me in check on the daily.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    KEWWu.gif

I have come to really appreciate MFP and the friends I have made... I am still a newbie, only 20 days in, but it has truly revolutionized my life. I am eating the foods I love and discovering new foods to love. I am also learning I can do it.
    So I have to say nope, no way, not going to give up MFP. :noway: :noway:
  • layapooh15
    layapooh15 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    heck no i love mfp!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I will use it as long as I have it. Plus I have made some AWESOME friends up here. It's not JUST about logging logging logging. :happy:
  • eaglemama70
    Options
    :bigsmile: yep I will be using it for a long time. I may forget every now and then but I love using it when i am eating out to give me guidance on what to eat!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey for 6 years and have tracked all of that time in one program or another....its pretty much like brushing my teeth now and with the aid of phone apps is a breeze to do...Im quite positive ill be using it till the day I die lol I got up too 380 pounds at one time and clearly have a food addiction...i would say at the very most i might cut back on the number of days i track...but still at this point with only 20 pounds left to lose that seems like a long way from here.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    dont want to even think about it. Thats a scary thought:bigsmile: