What's the *secret* to chopping onions W/O crying/dying?

Options

Replies

• EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Do you think gluten free bread will work?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It never bothers me... because I don't use onions. I prefer garlic, and buy a huge jar of it pre-minced.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Take a knife skills class! A sharp knife and a quick purposeful hand at chopping them limits the onion juice in the air.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The bread trick works. Also, what looks cooler than standing in the kitchen, holding a knife with a piece of bread hanging out of your mouth? Double win!

I was imagining a bite-sized piece of white bread, being held IN your mouth, and could NOT figure it out..........
  • ncbecker13
    ncbecker13 Posts: 54
    Options
    If you hold a match in your mouth, (bite down on it with the end you light facing out), it keeps your eyes from being irritated! DO NOT LIGHT THE MATCH THOUGH!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The bread trick works. Also, what looks cooler than standing in the kitchen, holding a knife with a piece of bread hanging out of your mouth? Double win!

I was imagining a bite-sized piece of white bread, being held IN your mouth, and could NOT figure it out..........
    Nope. Slice of bread. Let it just hang by your chin. You need to look like someone who has forgotten how to eat.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you can chop them underwater, but I've never chopped onions.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The bread doesn't work for me somehow. I light a match beside the onion before cutting into it.

Or, use one of these:
    Fresh-Mandolin-with-knob-e1318822400449.jpg
  • Bobbi_N
    Bobbi_N Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use only Vidalia or Sweet Peru onions. No tears.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Slap chop!
    slap_chop_vince_03.jpg
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    I use my Pampered Chef Food Chopper.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Two things that I do that always work:

1. Keep them in the veggie crisper of your fridge.

2. If the above doesn't work, hold a match with your teeth, the red end out.

No clue why these work, but they always do!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i've been told to put lemon juice on the blade.

also, have been told to put vinegar on the cutting board.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I was told by my granny not to talk and to keep my mouth shut!

I do know a trick though, if you find the smell of onion lingers on your hands after chopping, do not wash your hands in warm water. It never gets rid of the smell. You must wash them in cold water! Smelly onion hands begone! Works every time!
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i love onions...

1. (easiest) go to your grocers freezer and find the chopped frozen onions... works great but stinks up the freezer even through 2 plastic bags....

2. when you buy it, take the outside of it off and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge. when you are ready to use it chop like normal but stand straight so your face isn't over the onion and keep your mouth closed. (if its still a powerful onion reduce breathing if possible lol )

I am very sensitive to the onions, my husband can be cutting them in the kitchen and i am across the house and i will tear up, but since I've done one of these two things I've only had mild irritation and i don't have to wait for someone to cut them for me.
  • LaMejor5
    LaMejor5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Mrs Bully knows the secret! I read an article a few years ago that said to wear sunglasses or goggles while chopping onions. I tried and wouldn't touch an onion without it. Lol When people walk in the kitchen and see me with glasses on they die laughing... :)
    Goodluck!
  • Dina275
    Dina275 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If it gets really bad I bend down under the bench so that my eyes aren't up above the onions, it does actually help!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I use my Pampered Chef Food Chopper.
    I have that! I hate cleaning it though.
  • TrishHeimbach
    Options
    Have the onions chilled and if no time to do this place a lit candle on the counter by where your cutting.....good luck !!:smile:
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Once you take the outer layer of skin off, hold the onion under cold running water for a minute or two, and that usually stops it.