Exercise Question for the Ladies?????

Options

Replies

• jdswaker
    jdswaker Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cramps...I power through them, but mine are down to my knees and up to my shoulders. So, Mydol and exercise and I just make sure I'm hydrating, keeping it going to rest.

I would rather be on my elliptical crying rather than on the couch in a ball crying...

LOL now that's the truth!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe cramping but I do my planned workouts anyway, no excuses. I find that I feel better afterwards. My workouts include heavy lifting and running. I don't take anything, because I haven't found a medication that helps.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    I take that week off. Nothing more that light dancing with Zumba. I don't do anything at full speed.
  • mizkitty22
    mizkitty22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise is actually supposed to lessen cramps, so I'd push through it if I were you. I don't mean go crazy but going walking or some yoga would help! It works for me! Eat a banana beforehand too.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    while I havent had one of those kinds of periods in years (i'm on a 4 time only a year pill and its wonderful) all i can say is, avoid salt, hydrate properly, and LOTS of ibuprofen. i used to take 1200mg every 4-6 hours or so for mine. or a vicodin every 4.
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    stick to your routine... it'll be hard the first couple months...but then your body will be use to it.. it may make them heavier to... so be aware, but also know its normal!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Pms just drains my energy, so by the time that time starts, I am just glad to be able to move again, so i go out running anyways.
    Try buscopan for your cramps, it relaxes your internal muscles and just takes the edge off. I find it helps me much more than just painkillers.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    If it's the first or second day, I'll take advil before I work out and will be fine. I don't do abs or lift legs on those two days though. I let myself be a 48 hour silly. I'm find after the second day though.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    After working out? Try an Epson Salts bath...the Mag++ and very warm water will help with muscle cramping...also relaxing!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't have issues with cramping, but I'm usually bloated, fatigued, emotional, and crabby, and emotional (Yes, doubly emotional!). I normally just want to make a blanket camp in my room and not leave for a week. Once I get out there and get it done though, I feel soooooo much better. The endorphins from my workouts put me in a better mood and help me deal with my little hooligans better. :smile:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't notice much of a difference. I think it's an excuse, so just do it. :-)
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    pop in some ibuprofen 1-2 hours before. You'll be fine.
    Agreed!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    first couple of days I pop midol and walk and stretch, maybe some mild body weight or hand weight exercise, after that I push through n do what I need/ want to achieve. Cut urself a little slack, but don't let it be a week long excuse ;)
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I found with clean eating and exercise, over time it gets better
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I find if I go about my exercise like I always do, I'm fine. It's when I don't exercise I have issues
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I normally dont change my workout, but if I'm in serious pain I just do a brisk walk or do lots of stretching with Yoga and Pilates to work through it. also, Advil helps. (Oh and I'm a dancer, so I dance a lot during that time. It helps me with cardio and all and also stretches my body so I don't get as bad of cramps)

In my opinion, the worst thing you can do during your TOM is not workout. I feel terrible when I don't not only from guilt, but from my muscles not moving as much and my body being lazy.

Good luck!
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I actually find that moving more during my time of the month helps. The more you sit still, the crampier and more miserable you'll be

I agree with this totally..if I'm having worse cramps than normal what I do is just lower the intensity of my cardio and I notice that after about ten minutes my cramps are all gone and I feel a lot better..of course I make sure I don't do squats or anything like that for the first day or two..but I don't skip the workout and I feel all bad *kitten* for working out with cramps
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I couldn't hand NOT working out during TOM. The movement helps lessen the discomfort sooo much!
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I actually find that moving more during my time of the month helps. The more you sit still, the crampier and more miserable you'll be

That.

Also just take it easy!! Use that week to focus on your food You can do it!
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just work through it. I find that once I'm finish I feel better. My hardest day is the first day so I usually pop a tylenol or motrin before.