Non-paleo foods that are "not so bad"

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
Do any of you consider some of the evil foods to be over varying degrees of evil?

For example, I think wheat and corn are absolutely terrible and I make every attempt to keep them out of my diet. But, I feel like white potatoes and possibly even rice may not be as bad as wheat or corn and if I slip up and have a small portion every once in a while, I'm okay with it.

What do you guys think about the different "bad" foods..... namely corn, wheat, beans, rice, and white potatoes? I realize they are not Paleo, and I try with all my might to avoid them, but are there varying degrees of evilness?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't frankly understand why white potatoes aren't considered "paleo." I understand you might not want to have a lot of them if you'er trying to lose weight, but from purely a health and paleo standpoint, I don't get it.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I don't frankly understand why white potatoes aren't considered "paleo." I understand you might not want to have a lot of them if you'er trying to lose weight, but from purely a health and paleo standpoint, I don't get it.

The arguement against white potatoes is that they contain toxins and other compounds.... But I have seen a lot of debate over it and I read that these are in the skin. I don't normally eat the skins when I do eat them. And I certainly don't eat fries. Another thing is the starchy carb load.... but sometimes I need an energy boost for my workouts. I'm not really sure about potatoes, but I do eat them.... sparingly.
  • NeneThom
    NeneThom Posts: 1
    Options
    I have heard that potato farmers in Idaho won't eat the potatoes they grow for mass market because of the chemicals in them. I eat potatoes occasionally with salt and pepper and sometimes a little flavored vinegar but only organic.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I have heard that potato farmers in Idaho won't eat the potatoes they grow for mass market because of the chemicals in them. I eat potatoes occasionally with salt and pepper and sometimes a little flavored vinegar but only organic.

Interesting.... and scary.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love how Mark's Daily Apple treats these questions.

Rice: It depends.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#axzz21YYUY6mB

White Potatoes: Not if you want to lose weight
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-potatoes/#axzz21ZhIuese

Beans: It depends
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/#axzz21ZhdTV6V

I personally am avoiding all of that, except small doses of sweet potatoes, rarely. Mostly because my weight loss is agonizingly slow.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I personally am avoiding all of that, except small doses of sweet potatoes, rarely. Mostly because my weight loss is agonizingly slow.

I'm with you on that. I follow the Paleo for Athlete's guidelines and I do have some sweet potato (that's how we spell potatoes here) and some rice immediately after exercise. The key word for me here is "guidelines"...
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I am craving potatoes, I try to eat new or baby ones, because they are less starchy. But, in general I don't cut out any "whole" food that I enjoy, like rice or homemade bread. I like them too much and I have found that I can still lose weight eating them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    <<<loses weight eating sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, beans, ice cream, pop tarts etc. etc. that fit into my macro goals.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well, you're going to get a different answer from everyone, because we all have our own point of view.

Mine is that no food is good or evil, they are all just food. I'm not a fan of highly processed food-like substances that masquerade as food... but I can't see how the humble potato, eaten in a relatively unprocessed state (i.e. baked with butter and salt, not processed into tater tots) would be a problem as part of a varied diet.

Guess that's why I'm don't follow "paleo" or any other restrictive diet. To be honest, you might get more helpful answers in a paleo forum.
  • Pilotgirl86
    Options
    I believe in everything in moderation. In my mind there are "more evil" foods (such as pop, chips, any think from McDisgusting etc), whereas I feel that the potatoes I grow in my garden are definitely way less evil.

I eat within my own health & calorie guidelines, because I understand that it isn't just about calories or fat, but about all around diet. I like rice (although we mostly eat brown) and I see nothing wrong with corn. I'd rather have corn than refined starches such as store bought breads.

We make most of the bread we eat, and I supplement that with crackers/melba toast a bit as snacks, but stay away from white breads, salty crackers etc.

I don't necessarily buy 100% into paleo, but we try to eat naturally as best we can by staying away from refined sugars, processed foods and salts.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole paleo thing, but:

Of course potatoes contain toxins. They are part of the nightshade family, along with tomatoes. That's why you don't eat the green part. But most of a potato's nutrition is in the skin, so I'm not clear what the purpose of eating a potato without skin is.

I guess the question is how anti-processing you are. For example, steamed corn on the cob should theoretically be okay, but polenta isn't?
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I could follow the paleodiet but I'd have to have my potatoes. I love them boiled and then mash them on my plate. usually with a lot of the skin removed. Not a big rice eater or pasta so having mah taters once a week is fine in my book.

and if you look at the theory behind paleo potatoes should be allowed, especially the homegrown kind. dont know about mass produced ones..
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I too like the whole idea of eating unprocessed foods closest to their natural state and minimising sugars.

I do, however, like cheese and a few peas occasionally so this is not Paleo. I tolerate them OK so it's all good.

I had some ice cream tonight, not Paleo but very tasty and it fits in with my day nutrition-wise.

Hell, I had takeaway fish and chips last night, it's all about guidelines as another poster mentioned.

I do think the whole 'Is it Paleo?' thing takes away from the key message.

But ...
    I do think grains and legumes are inherently bad for me and will avoid them, never mind about the "Can lose weight eating them?" angle, the question is, are they any good for me? I have come to the conclusion that they are not.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I eat em all!! I usually will have rice, pasta, bread, or potatoes with every dinner!! prepacked and all!!! technically a calorie is a calorie...if you want diff "effects" from your food...then watch your protein vs carbs vs fats....simple enough! IMO of course :)
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'd say potatoes are the thing at the supermarket that is most like something a pre-human would have eaten. There were no cows or pigs or chickens in their modern form, so those things are not paleo. Processed food such as chips obviously isn't paleo. Most fruit and veggies are cultivated to a pretty different state than what they would be in nature, so they're not paleo.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    Options
    I'd say potatoes are the thing at the supermarket that is most like something a pre-human would have eaten. There were no cows or pigs or chickens in their modern form, so those things are not paleo. Processed food such as chips obviously isn't paleo. Most fruit and veggies are cultivated to a pretty different state than what they would be in nature, so they're not paleo.

Except most tubers have been cultivated away from their natural states by humans for centuries...the Mayans actually were able to change potatoes from poisonous to edible. Before that, nobody ate them. (potatoes are members of the nightshade family) just goes to show... Nothing we eat is really "paleo" because food is so drastically different.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Except most tubers have been cultivated away from their natural states by humans for centuries...the Mayans actually were able to change potatoes from poisonous to edible. Before that, nobody ate them. (potatoes are members of the nightshade family) just goes to show... Nothing we eat is really "paleo" because food is so drastically different.

The mayans were good peeps.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    Options

The mayans were good peeps.

Totes.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

^^^this is it...NOTHING we it is truly paleo.....well stated :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Real paleo would be charred meat and berries right? Tasty.