Normal to lose weight this fast?

Options

Replies

• benita30
    benita30 Posts: 20
    Options

Maybe you can't deem her anorexic because of her stats, but you sure as heck can say she has a body image problem and is WAY under weight for her height. Also, MFP frowns on fasting and other unhealthy weight loss regimes. Someone probably has already reported this post for that reason, so it won't be here for long.

Yes i completely agree! And I've mentioned in my other posts in this thread that she perhaps has a very negative perception of herself and that fasting will only have negative consequences for her.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    So.. your BMI is 16 right now. Anything below 18 is considered anorexic. Model agencies legally can not hire anyone with a BMI of under 18. If you go down to your goal of 105lb, you will have a BMI of 15. Be careful you don't fall into bad habits of not eating............. there's years of psychological treatments waiting for you if you go down that road.

Gee, my BMI chart doesn't contain the word anorexic. 16 is categorized as "under weight". Anorexic is not a weight, it is an illness (disorder).
  • SH08
    SH08 Posts: 5
    Options
    That is an awful lot of weight to lose in such a short time, being 5'10" and starting at 130 lbs....did you really need to lose any weight? I'm 5'8" and I with statistic I should weight between 125-150lbs. Be careful not to put your health at risk for losing pounds.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... I hope you will seek out the advice of your doctor. What you are doing is NOT healthy, whatever it is. You are already underweight and by pushing yourself to be even thinner, you are risking your health. Besides that, losing this much weight this quickly when you are this thin is dangerous. Very, very dangerous!
  • benita30
    Options
    BMI isn't reliable.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going to a doctor for evaluation? Your stats meet the anorexic criteria, and from how much weight you have lost in 1 week it kind of suggests you are very restrictive in your eating. Now I (and no one else) on this site can say you have anorexia, but it could be quit possible you do have an eating disorder and it would be best to be checked as early as possible, just in case so you can help yourself as soon as possible. Even if it is not an eating disorder I would still recommend a doctor since losing that much weight so fast does not seem at all healthy, so it may be best to get a check up and check your health.

Best of luck with everything hun.
  • hyndsie
    hyndsie Posts: 22
    Options
    i am 5' 10" and i was told my healthy weight is between 150lbs and 175lbs. if your weighing in at 112lbs thats only 8 stone!!!!

id say you need to put it on! my opinion..... petruding bones isnt sexy and 8 stone isnt healthy!
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I am hoping it was a typing error, and you are actually 5'1, rather than 5'10, if that is how much you weigh. Or 4'10.

In either case, you have lost a lot of weight very quickly, and I would guess that it would probably go back on just as quickly if you change back to your regular eating pattern.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's hard enough to be an 18 year old. Don't torture yourself, be healthy be strong.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    5'10 and 105lbs? That doesn't even make sense. Check yourself into the nearest mental facility.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    OP, I would consult a doctor before trying to lose anymore weight. I'm only 5'6" and according to the BMI charts I should be between 124 and 155. If you want to lose fat, fasting probably isn't the best way to go, but of course I'm no doctor. I would say eat more and work on building muscle if you're worried about your body fat percentage. Just my 2 cents. Anyhow, I hope you talk to a doctor about what a healthy weight would be for you specifically.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap.

:laugh: :noway:
  • SH08
    SH08 Posts: 5
    Options
    My twin sister and I grew up anorexic and it is a scary thing for me right now losing weight because I don't want to get back into that mind set of looking in the mirror and seeing myself as fat no matter how much weight I lose.
    I went from being 125lbs - 210lbs do to emotional issues in my life that I was dealing with and it has put so much strain on my health.
    Finally at 57 I'm eating right, monitoring my weight and thank God my stomach is finally getting to normal, I can eat now without thinking I'm going to throw up. Please see a doctor it is a dangerous life style..,,I will be praying for you!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You lost 15% of your weight in a week which means you already got yourself some heart muscle damage and you're still thinking you're fat. I agree with everyone who advice you to get professional help. And all those you ***** about how useless BMI is... you're seriously missing the point.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You're 5'10" why in the hell is your goal weight 105. Ridiculous.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't reliable.

To an extent. I only use it as a "guideline" but not the final say so in how much I should weigh. At 5'6" and 183lbs, I'm technically 28lbs overweight, but I had my body fat percentage checked recently and I am within the healthy percentage (right at the top, but my doctor was pretty please with it). I recently started seeing a dietician and discussed my weight loss goals with her. She agreed that 160lbs is a great goal weight for me even if it is 5lbs above what the BMI charts suggest. I've had a personal trainer tell me this as well after taking my body fat percentage and considering my build. The charts are a cookie cutter way of saying "this is an average of what is healthy", but definitely shouldn't be the final say so. :)
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This......
    I am hoping it was a typing error, and you are actually 5'1, rather than 5'10, if that is how much you weigh. Or 4'10.

In either case, you have lost a lot of weight very quickly, and I would guess that it would probably go back on just as quickly if you change back to your regular eating pattern.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

"so I need to lose it fast before I go crazy. I'm way too fat."

Oh really? She is 5'10 and 112 Ibs and considers herself fat... Having had anorexia myself. I kind of know what I am talking about here.

Thats irrelevant whether you've had anorexia. Everyone's different, and just because she could have self esteem issues doesn't mean she has an eating disorder, and you're in no position to tell her that she has one.

no, no they're not. no one is a unique and special snowflake.
  • benita30
    Options
    BMI isn't reliable.

To an extent. I only use it as a "guideline" but not the final say so in how much I should weigh. At 5'6" and 183lbs, I'm technically 28lbs overweight, but I had my body fat percentage checked recently and I am within the healthy percentage (right at the top, but my doctor was pretty please with it). I recently started seeing a dietician and discussed my weight loss goals with her. She agreed that 160lbs is a great goal weight for me even if it is 5lbs above what the BMI charts suggest. I've had a personal trainer tell me this as well after taking my body fat percentage and considering my build. The charts are a cookie cutter way of saying "this is an average of what is healthy", but definitely shouldn't be the final say so. :)

I feel as if I'm going slightly off topic :/ . BMI can also really over estimate someone's fat mass. I agree with you 100%.

This girl really should go to a doctor who'll be able to steer her towards a healthy lifestyle.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    On one of your previous posts dated Monday, July 23rd, you stated that your current weight was 120. Today is Wednesday, barely 2 days later and you posted your weight at 112... soooo you've lost 8lbs in 2 days? See a Dr. to get your eating disorder under control. Or if you're a troll, go back under the bridge and look for attention elsewhere.
    Whatever the case, I wish you luck, health and happiness..
This discussion has been closed.