Best foods for pre workout

Options
cjsmommy7
cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
Hi people fairly new to MFP interested in what people have for pre workout meal. I regularly train in kick boxing( and now mma aswell) sessions between 90 mins and 180 mins. Is there any foods to eat before training for a boost usually eat around five start training at 7.Also should i be eating back my exercise calories. All help much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be eating back your exercise calories, especially if you are doing 90-180 minute sessions.

I like to eat something light with a decent amount of protein (so I'm not starving later) and carbohydrates (for quick energy). Generally I'll have chicken breast or fish with rice or kasha and some salad. Basically a normal dinner, but trying to keep everything light.
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    Are you keen on Protein shakes, they are really good for pre-workout as energy and metabolic boosters, with strawberry or half-banana...milk based

chocolate milk is also a suggested add-on or you can try high protein foods like eggs or oats with water, since they can digest and also help with energy....

I use whey protein both morning and evening (weight) trainings...but that may or may not be something you want necessarily...but if you get a chance do try read on benefits of it online..
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It must be something, that gives a lot of energy and includes much protein (to build muscles). Chicken breast, cottage cheese, fish or nuts. But your meal should be two hours before workout.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    half a cup of coffee!
  • cjsmommy7
    Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated. Will be looking up the protein shakes as well never really bothered with them as i dont like milk but may have to give them a whirl thanks
  • andie2013
    andie2013 Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of dairy, either. So I'm trying "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard" protein shake using water and they don't taste too bad (actually way better than I expected). These shakes pack a lot of protein per scoop.... and no, I'm not really trying to advertise this particular brand, just commenting on what I have found so far taste-wise.
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated. Will be looking up the protein shakes as well never really bothered with them as i dont like milk but may have to give them a whirl thanks

May I suggest mixing them with coffee? I don't like milk either, I keep almond milk in the fridge. My shakes are iced coffee, protein, bit of cinnamon and a bit of almond milk. That way I get my morning coffee and morning protein all in one place :)
  • jgotteiner
    jgotteiner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I work out at 5 am any thoughts about eating drinking before exercising?
    I never eat until I get to the office around 7 am.
  • cjsmommy7
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of dairy, either. So I'm trying "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard" protein shake using water and they don't taste too bad (actually way better than I expected). These shakes pack a lot of protein per scoop.... and no, I'm not really trying to advertise this particular brand, just commenting on what I have found so far taste-wise.
    Thanks for the advice i wasnt aware you could make them with water will have to pop in to the health food store and see what i can find. Much appreciated :smile:
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options

May I suggest mixing them with coffee? I don't like milk either, I keep almond milk in the fridge. My shakes are iced coffee, protein, bit of cinnamon and a bit of almond milk. That way I get my morning coffee and morning protein all in one place :)

Exactly what I eat as well! I also blend ice with it....Delicious!!