Calories burned from lifting....

Options
Why is it that they only add in calories that are burned when you do cardio workout? I do cardio and lift 5 day per week and I know I burn calories from lifting so why isn't it calculated in?

Also does anyone have some good shoulder exercies? I do military press, front and lateral raises, and upright rows and just want to mix it up more.

Replies

• wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i add it under circuit training...i figure thats close enough, i dont take breaks in between so i figure thats kinda like circuit training? possibly look it up on another site and add it urself?as far as shoulders those are the only ones i know too..
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i just found this info
    The amount of calories you burn weight lifting depends on your weight, the intensity of your weight training, and the duration (and your age, to some extent, but this is less important.)

A 180 lb male performing 60 minutes of weight training with vigorous effort (meaning little or no rest periods between sets) and at an intensity that causes your heart rate to remain somewhat elevated during exercise would burn approximately 400-475 calories weight lifting.

If you tend to take long rests between sets and your intensity is lower, the same person can expect to burn around 250 calories weight lifting for one hour
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    if you search under cardio for "strength training" it's there
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables and physiological anomalies involved in strength training that it is extremely difficult to come up with an accurate or meaningful number.

If you are doing actual sustained circuit training (i.e. relatively low intensity--12-15RM--continuous movement, little or no rest) you MIGHT be able to use an HRM number--just subtract about 30% from the total.

Otherwise, the estimates are going to be pretty vague. Basically, you are going to have to use a process of trial and error--seeing the results of your workouts and adjusting your food intake accordingly.

That's just the way the body works. Perspiration is not a reliable indicator of exertion, and, during strength training and even many HIT or HIIT types a workouts, HRMs aren't all that reliable either. The effects of strength training, circuit training, etc are more varied and wide-ranging than for cardio--so it is difficult to come up with estimates or calculators that are applicable to everyone.

That's obviously not in any way a negative comment on those types of exercise routines. There is solid research that says they can be very effective. They just do not lend themselves to the type of neat and tidy calorie total accounting that steady-state cardio exercises do.

Keep in mind that, for strength training, the actual number of calories burned during the workout is not that much--and not that important. The real benefits occur during the recovery period.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why is it that they only add in calories that are burned when you do cardio workout? I do cardio and lift 5 day per week and I know I burn calories from lifting so why isn't it calculated in?

Also does anyone have some good shoulder exercies? I do military press, front and lateral raises, and upright rows and just want to mix it up more.

Your shoulder routine is just like mine pretty much.:D

lying incline laterals, seated leaning 1 arm incline laterals, seated bent over laterals, standing bent over laterals.(any of several variation cable lateral, lying 1 arm laterals, 1 arm standing laterals. (grasp something with 1 hand and lean away from it and lateral) arnold press, alternate db shoulder press.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Can't forget reverse flyes! Rows are good too. Building up the anterior delts and not the rear delts can result in increased shoulder instability and poor posture.