What is considered GOOD mile time?

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    OMG, I thought 11min mile was good.

Now I see 6 to 7 minute miles posted here. I feel slow.

I guess I was just jogging, not running.

An 11 minute mile is still running! And 6-7 minute miles are not the average by the way. I would think the average is about a 10 minute pace.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The women who win races around here run sub 7 minute miles. Middle of the pack is usually about 10-11 minute miles (mixed gender). I've picked up a few age group medals in smaller races running about an 8 minute mile, and the fastest I timed myself running one mile was 7:16, but I haven't timed myself going just one mile since December.
  • Rowena02148
    Rowena02148 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Say it loud and proud!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can also check the WAVA tables, which does something like an age group handicap. Useful for figuring out is a 25:00 5K by a 30 y/o woman "better" than a 23:00 by a 40 y/o man.

http://pinebeltpacers.org/AgeGrade/AgeGrade.htm
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Any time is a good time because you did it :flowerforyou:
  • Rowena02148
    Rowena02148 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree. I usually fight with my "chicken ****" inner self telling me to stop running. Sometimes I win but other times....well. In the end, it's all about you being stronger and faster. Nobody else can under or out run you.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am 42 - just started running (C25K) in January. I usually run in the 10-11:30 min range (5 - 8 miles). I just ran a 5 mile race, where I averaged 9:40 per mile - a personal best for me by alot. I ran one mile the other day as fast as I could - 8:36. My pace has definitely increased alot - I started in the 12 min range.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    my favorite quote of all time about running:

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Running is you vs you, go as fast as you need to to feel successful and to beat down that little voice

I dont care about competing with other people this is just for me. lol
  • musicmint
    Options
    The women who win races around here run sub 7 minute miles. Middle of the pack is usually about 10-11 minute miles (mixed gender). I've picked up a few age group medals in smaller races running about an 8 minute mile, and the fastest I timed myself running one mile was 7:16, but I haven't timed myself going just one mile since December.

Thanks I liked this answer :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I am a female so what is a good mile time for a female?
    The one that you can run. Then try to beat it the next time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taureanbeauty293
    taureanbeauty293 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whatever was better than your previous mile times. Seriously, you only need to outdo yourself (well, unless you are training for the Olympics).

^I like this one! So true! :wink:

When I was in high school and on cross country, my best was a 7:21. When I was training for the 1/2 marathon my "cruise control" was about 10-11, but now I'm just getting back into running so I think I'm about a 12. Its really whatever you can do, and trying to do better than you did before. I myself would be satisfied with a 9-minute mile, but that's just me. Its different for everyone.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

^^^^ THIS
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    That's going to vary a LOT! I think most people can manage about a 10-11 minute mile when they are starting out, some maybe a bit slower. The more you run and work at it, the faster you will get, up to a point. I am slow. I am always going to be slow. I'm not even worried about being slow. :) But, I AM faster than I used to be. I have been running off and on for over 15 years but only started approaching it more seriously in the last two years, and I have gone from averaging a 10 minute mile to averaging about a 9 minute mile, with my fastest, giving-it-all-I've-got, all-out mile at 8:24. But, like I said, I am slow. I would think a fit, faster runner, a good time for women aged 25-40ish would be 7-8 minute miles. Then of course, there are the truly fast who are at more like 5-6 minute miles, but those are like Olympic caliber people. :)

I definitely don't want this to feel like I'm picking on you, but wanted to point out that Olympic caliber women run around 4:20...I believe the world record is around 4:15. I competed in the mile in high school and college and ran a 4:55....this was decent for a division 1 athlete, but I wasn't anywhere near qualifying for NCAAs. I'm certainly a has-been and couldn't get anywhere near my best time right now, though.

Just came back to this - I believe it! I should been more clear in my post. When I mentioned Olympic caliber I was thinking of the pace Olympic marathon runners sustain over the course of a full 26.2 (which is I think still at about 5 minute miles). For just an all-out mile, I wouldn't have known the pace off-hand, but 4:20 and faster sounds about right!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I feel REALLY slow now. I ran a five miler on Sunday and averaged 11:30 per mile. And here I thought I was doing so well, LOL! I will probably NEVER run 8 minute miles, but I'm hoping to get to around 10 MM on long distance runs at some point. Right now, I am just thrilled to able to run five miles without dying--especially in this oppressive Nebraska heatwave.

^^^ I'm with YOU! :laugh:
  • musicmint
    Options
    Doesn't matter you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

^^^^ THIS

This is agreeable :)
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I felt pretty awesome finishing 2 miles on the treadmill in less than 30 minutes last night :p Felt like I was dying towards the end though. I can't imagine running a 10 minute mile, and I'm sure I couldn't get anywhere near an 8 minute mile. Shall see though once I'm closer to my goal.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run long distance in hilly terrain, and I need to pace myself so I don't get worn out. I've never been fast. For me, personally, fast is under 10 min. per mile. I usually only run fast during a race. During my cross-country training it's generally between 10 and 11. For other people, that might be slow. I don't really care, though. I just like a nice, long, peaceful run. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    i can only run for 45 seconds at 6mph before i get light headed and feel like i cant breathe :o(
    am hoping as i lose weight i'll have less pressure on my chest - arthritis in hip and knee doesnt help but i'll keep pushing

You're going too fast for your current fitness level. Slow down - you'll last longer and enjoy it more.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile time is around 8:30. This was just running one mile on a track as fast as I possibly could. I don't think I have ever run 2 straight miles without stopping in my life, ever. My average mile time though is around 9 minutes which I guess is pretty average for a young woman.

I'm definitely not a runner, a mile is considered distance/endurance running for me, especially when it's not on a gym machine lol. On the treadmill, I could probably do a mile in 8 minutes.

I'm more of a sprinter/athlete, I'm fast but have no endurance or patience.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My good mile time is just improving from the time before. Right now, I'm running 5ks and looking at my overall time. I run a 9min 30 second mile so I finish either in the top third or in the middle depending on the number of participants. My last 5k, the miles were not marked so I didn't realize my pace was too fast and I had to walk a portion at the end. But, I still got my fasted time. I just thought I was exceptionally tired until I realized what I had done. To me, I am so happy to be able to run without knee pain and to improve my time. I had knee problems about two years ago(overuse and not strengthening my leg muscles) and I thought I couldn't run again. So happy that is not the case.