Replies

• meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    http://www.abeforfitness.com/

Also try some of these.....
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Crunches are useless. IMO.

I agree (somewhat). You can't crunch your way to a flat stomach. Its all about core and diet. Doing crunches alone will not work.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You see your abs by lowering your body fat% pretty low. For men, it's around 10%. The percentage is higher for women, however, to allow women to be women! Which is a good thing! LOL You can strengthen and build your abs by doing strength training and crunches. I have been doing P90X, P90X+, 1 on 1 with Tony, Insanity, and hybrid workouts to incorporate them all. I've seen great results! If you're looking for a good ab routine, I recommend Ab Ripper 100 and 200, and later on you could try Ab RIpper X, Killer Abs, Iso Abs, and Ab Ripper X2. You don't have to buy P90X. You can probably go on YouTube or the internet to find the moves and do them yourself. Crunches are not super important. I only do about 15 minutes of dedicated ab work, but it is still important and useful to develop your body just like any other body part. Even professional bodybuilders will finish off their olympic style weightlifting with some ab work, such as weighted crunches, ab machine, or roller.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    sit on a yoga/exercise ball instead of a chair and you will have to use your core all day to stabilise yourself

this is the best suggestion on here. you're not just taking a couple seconds to do crunches, a stability ball forces you to use your core all day long.

you can also try keeping a weight by your desk and doing a modified "saxton side bend"

wellfitlife.me
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    It wont be much if you dont go that often, but when you are in the privacy of your toilet/bathroom, take the opportunity to do several squats over the loo seat. Not sitting down, but get just above it. Prob can be done at your desk too, but haven't tried that one as my office door is always open.

Stretching is always a good thing in the office chair. Lift one leg up so your ankle is resting on your knee and slouch forward over your folded leg. Then swap legs. This stretches down either side of the back. Another move is to sit upright, place your right hand over onto the armrest or back of the left side of your chair. Leaving legs facing forward, turn your upper body around to the left. Then do the otherside on the right.

Best of luck, oh and take the op any time it comes up to use stairs. We have bathrooms on every level of the building and i go up 2 stories just to get the steps done :)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    You can try scooting to the edge of your chair, grip the sides, lean back and lift your legs up, keeping them straight. Try holding it as long as you can. Or, keep your feet on the ground as you sit at the edge. you can cross your arms over your chest, lean back and crunch in your seat.

What type of office do you work in where it is acceptable to do this?! This type of exercise also eliminates the possibility of actually working at the same time as your legs are flying around in the air and you are gripping the seat.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    sit on a yoga/exercise ball instead of a chair and you will have to use your core all day to stabilise yourself

this is the best suggestion on here. you're not just taking a couple seconds to do crunches, a stability ball forces you to use your core all day long.

you can also try keeping a weight by your desk and doing a modified "saxton side bend"

wellfitlife.me

I can't imagine many professional office environments allowing you to do this.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    No.. We don't have balls here/it wouldn't be acceptable for me to use one.. this is literally an addition to my daily exercise routine which consists of cardio and strength. It's JUST extra. My diet is very good, I exercise a lot. I just want an extra toning boost.

I make sure that what I do is done well.

I am going to look up the abs vac stuff!
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Dynamic resistance. tightening and holding the muscle tight. You can work your whole body this way at your desk. Just make sure you have a plan to hit the different parts and both sides. Otherwise you'll wind up Popeye on the right and Twiggy on the left.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member

wellfitlife.me

I actually have a guy in my office who was approved to use his exercise ball as a chair in his ergonomic assessment. This is at one of the regional depots for a North America-wide company... I guess there is really no harm in asking, you never know.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    No.. We don't have balls here/it wouldn't be acceptable for me to use one.. this is literally an addition to my daily exercise routine which consists of cardio and strength. It's JUST extra. My diet is very good, I exercise a lot. I just want an extra toning boost.

I make sure that what I do is done well.

I am going to look up the abs vac stuff!

The abs vacuum is awesome! I just tried it for the first time...ouch!
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member

wellfitlife.me

Three words. Yoga Ball Chair.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    I am not spinning around on my chair at work.. and I know the key is diet.. hence why I have lost 17 lbs so far. I just want some ideas for toning and strengthening. Crunches work for me so that's why I want more ideas on how I could strengthen my stomach. THanks for the input so far.

no need to be snarky... you're not spinning around. just side to side every so often using your obliques. the only thing that should be moving is your hips/legs- your upper body stays straight. just do extra at home if you're not going to take any suggestions... jesus christ.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    bump, i sit for 8 hours day at work as well
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    You can try scooting to the edge of your chair, grip the sides, lean back and lift your legs up, keeping them straight. Try holding it as long as you can. Or, keep your feet on the ground as you sit at the edge. you can cross your arms over your chest, lean back and crunch in your seat.

What type of office do you work in where it is acceptable to do this?! This type of exercise also eliminates the possibility of actually working at the same time as your legs are flying around in the air and you are gripping the seat.

CHILL. This is not flying around it looks more like stretching out your legs. Actually, my office is quite relaxed and this would be OK. Maybe not flying and swinging my legs around, but stretching it is encouraged.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member

Congratulations
    CHILL. This is not flying around it looks more like stretching out your legs. Actually, my office is quite relaxed and this would be OK. Maybe not flying and swinging my legs around, but stretching it is encouraged.