Need suggestions to help my loving husband. :)

Options

Replies

• bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If he's got a mindset of Atkins being the only way ,you might try a different approach and show him the Atkins website.......there's a great community of supportive people there and lots of ideas for meals,etc........just like any approach to weight loss.....if he sticks with it,it works.(I'm not doing Atkins btw......I just try to have an open mind)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a downer but it is his choice on how and when he loses weight and as his wife you should be supportive.
    I agree 100%.

My wife doesn't want to mess with counting calories. Even without counting she's done well and lost a lot of weight. I don't try to push this site or any other program on her. She's her own person and makes her own choices - I support her in every way I can.
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that too. She ALWAYS, EVERY DAY says how much she needs to lose the weight but she won't do anything about it. Even if she would just log her calories she would be amazed. Noooooo. She likes to eat. A LOT.
    I just show her successful people who have lost weight in hopes it will stir her motivation to do something. When she's ready I will be there to support her.
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you act like it's a secret society you don't want him to be a part of he will join:) Congrats on your success!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real advice for you. However, my husband is similar.

I have been fairly diligent about logging my food and exercise since the beginning of the year, and trained and completed a half marathon. He told me after the race that he felt left out. I always tell him, then join me! He has full access to a gym and pool for FREE through work, but hasn't ever wanted to use it. I would encourage him to do fitness tapes with me, and he would say no, he doesn't like them, but then sulk because I was going to work out without him, anyway.

But, then at the end of June, I started P90x. Two weeks in, again feeling like he was missing out, he started P90x. Now, we work out together, YAY! Victory!!, Next week is the last week of Phase 1 for us. It is kicking our butts, but in a good way!

You can't force it, but be supportive. I focused on the healthy benefits more than a goal weight or size. I told him I was concerned because of medical conditions in his family that I didn't want him to be at risk for...yada yada.

I suppose it also helps that I am the main meal planner/grocery shopper/cook in our house - so everyone is on the health(ier) eating journey whether they like it or not! Haha.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    He gets upset that i tell him how much calories is what he is eating. I think by me telling him to workout and count what he eats has push him away. I never saw him eating so much Cheese danish in my life. I think he does this to try me out. He says you want some and i say no. And he will be OK i will eat it. I always ask him, Do you love us? And he says yes. And i tell him it doesn't seem like it because you want to die. His dad past when he was in his 50's from a heart attack.

He gets upset when I tell him how many calories he is eating. I that that me telling him to workout and log what he eats has pushed him away. I have never seen him eating so many cheese danishes in my life. I think he is doing this to test me. He will ask me if I would like any and when my response is "no" he will respond with "OK, I will eat it". I always ask him "Do you love us?" He says "Yes" and then I tell him "It doesn't seem like it because it seems like you want to die". His dad passed when he was in his 50s from a heart attack

Edited to help others......I had a hard time reading through it and figured others might as well.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As a person who's normally been the heavy one in a relationship, I always wished my partners would leave me the hell alone. I knew they meant well. I knew they did it out of love (well one of them). But it wasn't something someone could jump start in me. I only lost the weight when I came to the decision. Just as I am the one putting on the brakes this time after re-gaining some of what I lost. To me, there is no good way to do it that doesn't somehow include an overtone of disapproval or dissatisfaction on your part in a situation where people tend to be territorial and sensitive. It makes people resentful.

In an odd twist, my marriage ended because of something like what you're talking about. My father is a terrible diabetic. I watched them cut away pieces of my Aunt due to diabetes until it finally ended her life. My Uncle is a double amputee due to health complications from diabetes.

When my then husband and I were both diagnosed within months of each other with diabetes, I got busy. He did not. He would not. He, in fact seemed to do everything to go in the opposite direction. He even refused to take medication. After a time, we drifted so far apart as I got in shape and became active (ultimately no longer diabetic) and he continued to sit on the sofa playing video games that we were strangers to each other.

I could not live with the thought of watching him go through what I saw everyone in my family go through.

No matter what, though, I really don't think you can muster up interest out of dust. Possibly counseling?
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    thanks everyone!

trouble I have is that we both go to the grocery store. He buys his food. I buy mine. He cooks his dinner. I cook mine. I know, it sounds weird but I can't imagine eating 3 hamburger patties, 6 slices of cheese, and a pound of onions for dinner. :)

thanks again.. hopefully in time. :)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My husband also needs to lose a significant amount of weight and has resisted joining MFP. In an effort to do what I can, I recently started an account for him (yes, he's aware of it) and log in all the meals I prepare for him. Since I buy the groceries and prepare all the meals, it's been fairly easy. He eats what I cook without complaint, but will occasionally buy himself a snack at work or eat goodies that someone takes in to work. He'll tell me what he ate and I'll add it in (at the highest calories I find).

When I first started changing the way I eat, he was VERY resistant and fussed about what I bought and cooked. He never tried to stop me from going to the gym, though. After a while (and a few arguments), he conceded and started enjoying the meals I prepared. So much, in fact, that he would request certain foods that he previously insisted he didn't like. He also started joining me on my trips to the gym. Slowly, but surely, he's getting there. I know it will be a while before he takes the initiative to log in on his own, but I'm more than willing to do it for him until then. I want my man to be as healthy as he can be, so I'll do what I can.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    thanks everyone!

trouble I have is that we both go to the grocery store. He buys his food. I buy mine. He cooks his dinner. I cook mine. I know, it sounds weird but I can't imagine eating 3 hamburger patties, 6 slices of cheese, and a pound of onions for dinner. :)

thanks again.. hopefully in time. :)

That's a lot of cheese
  • goblynn
    Options
    Maybe if you act like it's a secret society you don't want him to be a part of he will join:) Congrats on your success!

Ha!!! This might work!! Thank you!!
  • Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    tell him about ThongThursday! and Boobie Monday...
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Ha!!! This might work!! Thank you!!

not a chance. Men don't care about women secrets.....honestly. Tell him about all of the women on here that post bikini/chest/leg shots. Get him to try the site on a Friday. That's more likely to get him on here.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    tell him about ThongThursday! and Boobie Monday...

^^^^^ This.....see....she knows what's up.
  • goblynn
    Options
    My husband also needs to lose a significant amount of weight and has resisted joining MFP. In an effort to do what I can, I recently started an account for him (yes, he's aware of it) and log in all the meals I prepare for him. Since I buy the groceries and prepare all the meals, it's been fairly easy. He eats what I cook without complaint, but will occasionally buy himself a snack at work or eat goodies that someone takes in to work. He'll tell me what he ate and I'll add it in (at the highest calories I find).

When I first started changing the way I eat, he was VERY resistant and fussed about what I bought and cooked. He never tried to stop me from going to the gym, though. After a while (and a few arguments), he conceded and started enjoying the meals I prepared. So much, in fact, that he would request certain foods that he previously insisted he didn't like. He also started joining me on my trips to the gym. Slowly, but surely, he's getting there. I know it will be a while before he takes the initiative to log in on his own, but I'm more than willing to do it for him until then. I want my man to be as healthy as he can be, so I'll do what I can.

Totally. I would never log for him behind his back (ahahhah - that sounds so funny- like i'm cheating). But would totally log for him if he gave any interest. As many have posted, he bucks up at the thought... so I will just leave it. It just sucks b/c I really think he would dig it. My husband's happiness is the most important thing to me. He is amazing and I just want him to feel as good about himself as he makes me feel.

Sadly, I don't know about thong thrusday or booie monday... he is a total butt guy so I'm thinking thrusday would be his choice.. ehehheeh
  • Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    I meant Boobie Friday.. but anyways... I guess tomorrow is the day then!!
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    when he can't physically do stuff that your doing due to weight and starts getting left out he might get some motivation. if someone had pushed me into my weight loss no way would I have done it :P had to figgure it out the hard way for it to sink into my thick man skull.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I had another thought.......Reward System.....men love rewards.......Maybe if you "take care of him" for each day that he logs he will do it.....I think most guys would.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone has already mentioned this...is he competitive or rewards driven? If he is, try to use that to your advantage (set up mini challenges between the two of you, set goals & rewards, etc). You don't have to get him to join MFP to share the principles of it with him. My girlfriend installed MFP on my phone way before I started using it and bugged me to get on it...I agree that you have to want to make that change to really commit to it.
  • goblynn
    Options
    I had another thought.......Reward System.....men love rewards.......Maybe if you "take care of him" for each day that he logs he will do it.....I think most guys would.

^^^^^ This^^^^^ Hahahhahaha ... might be the answer... :)