Does anyone else not diet...(moderation)

Options
13»

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I can't call something that I will be doing for my entire life a 'diet'.

I refuse to eat anything but 'real' food. I do not eat fat free, sugar free, chemically enhanced stuff, no aspartame, stevia, equal whatever you call it, I do not buy much packaged convenience food and never have. I'm Italian from a very traditional family so cooking is in my blood (thanks mom!) I cook nearly everything I eat from scratch, from pasta to desserts. I don't eat 'exotic' things (tofu, seaweed/kelp, avocados, chia seeds, quinoa and anything else that I can't grow in a garden in my back yard). I eat regular food, the same food I cook for my family... I just eat less of it than I used to ;)

Unfortunately my partner is one of those guys that can eat anything he wants all the time and never gain a pound - his favorite PB & J sandwich has honey, an extra slice of bread and about 600 calories (I counted last night because I was curious) The week before I made the decision to start losing weight I was eating somewhere between 2700 - 3500 calories a day. A lot of that was trying to 'keep up' with him - I'd just eat what he was eating.

I still cook, but now I will cook my food in a healthier way (less oil, no breading etc..) and now that I am weighing everything, I am getting back to what a 'normal' portion is supposed to look like! I don't deny myself the occasional treat but instead of having a full bowl of ice cream I'll only have 1 scoop. I don't just squirt dressing on my salads or slather my perogies with sour cream anymore, now I measure and record everything and do my best to have only the recommended amount. Moderation is definitely the way to go for me but of course I don't pretend to know what will work for anyone else ;)
  • Tashymash
    Tashymash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep, i wouldn't call myself a "dieter". I eat pretty much the same foods as before, just some smaller portions. I do try and eat healthily as i do enjoy my fruit and veg, and i find i'm hungry/sluggish/spotty if i eat rubbish. But sometimes, i don't have the opportunity/lack the inclanation to eat a salad, and i have to eat slightly unhealthy food-i had a KFC last week and still lost 3 pound that week! I try to exercise so that i tone and so that i can eat a little more, and i enjoy my diary- in fact i would say i had a fairly normal balanced diet. My only problem is getting stressed with calorie counting-perhaps need to reign myself in there.....

Btw, i lost 2 stone 8 pounds before coming on here, fell off the wagon slightly and put on 6 pounds, then since coming on here i've lost 12 pounds-just so you know whether my way works or not ;) Oh and i try to eat unprocessed things, but i would never say i was perfect ;)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat nearly everything...but not all the time. There are times when I will refuse to eat a certain food if it wont fit into my numbers. The only "spechul" food I eat are Atkins bars (I am not on Atkins) because they are high protein and low carb, which fits into my program....keeps my blood sugar at good levels, which helps with my T2. But everything else I eat is real and in moderation. :)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Life is way too short and food is wayyyy too good. LOL. I eat what I want in moderation as well - meaning I stay within my calorie goals. I might not splurge every day - but I'm not going to turn down cake at a birthday party by any means. I will just choose a SMALL piece of cake instead of a large piece of cake with a glob of ice cream on the side. Whatever works!
  • carolynfromtexas
    Options
    while I agree with you moderation is the way to go, most people with a eating problem have a problem with moderation. That is to say, I for one have no shut off, I can eat and eat then turn around and eat more... So, learning moderation is a good thing, it is more like having to learn how to portion control, as well as listen to they body say it is full even if you feel like you want to eat more. Learn when you are hungry and when you are just eating to eat... substituting things that are triggers with things that aren't. It isn't easy and lots of people don't understand that
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've watched my family 'diet' my whole life and I want no part of it. I was always average weight but when I became a lot less active gained a lot of weight over the past few years. Now that I am in the position where it's me needing to lose weight I have really thought about how I've seen weight loss handled before. I have always had sympathy for their situation because they have been unhappy with themselves for many years, but I don't want to life my life that way. I am not on a diet, and I never want to be again. I have learned to understand proper portion sizes, but as I see it that's more of a good practice to be in than a restriction. Once I am back to a healthy weight I will continue to be mindful of portion sizes, but I will likely just eyeball it instead of using measuring cups and a scale like I have been. I also started being more mindful of how my body reacts to certain foods, and I've chosen to eliminate those for now, but I am not opposed to the idea of reintroducing them in moderation later as long as they do not affect me in the same way in the future.

If you are choosing a 'restriction' path it may work for you, just be careful to eat as much unprocessed, nutrient rich food as you can or you will just end up hungry and malnourished and that will set you up for failure. I wish the best of luck with whatever works for you.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to create a group for Not-on-a-Dieters.

I'm so tired of hearing "what do I need to cut out of my diet to lose weight?!" in all my other groups!

I would like topics surrounding moderation, portion control and diversity of the diet.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    while I agree with you moderation is the way to go, most people with a eating problem have a problem with moderation. That is to say, I for one have no shut off, I can eat and eat then turn around and eat more... So, learning moderation is a good thing, it is more like having to learn how to portion control, as well as listen to they body say it is full even if you feel like you want to eat more. Learn when you are hungry and when you are just eating to eat... substituting things that are triggers with things that aren't. It isn't easy and lots of people don't understand that

I'm with you on this. If moderation was my strong suit I wouldn't be fat! I say yes to moderation, but it's not at all as easy as it sounds. Getting re-educated about nutrition and your own needs/habits etc is really important to the path of moderation I think.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options

I'm so tired of hearing "what do I need to cut out of my diet to lose weight?!" in all my other groups!

I would like topics surrounding moderation, portion control and diversity of the diet.

Yes you should start a group! Even though I'm currently following Jamie Easons LiveFit nutritional guidelines (eating often, eating mostly real instead of processed food etc) I don't consider it a diet, I consider it re-learning how to eat smart while allowing for all that other stuff in moderation. It's not a diet I'm doing for 12 weeks, it's a lifestyle I'm developing for life. If I'm making sense!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Yay! I'll sign up for that. Moderation, balance and diversity is what I strive for as well.

It reminds me of Parisians who still enjoy their bread, wine, foods heavy with sauces and delightful desserts. They're not deprived nor are many obese. They just don't overindulge or binge. Many also walk a lot to get anywhere. Same goes for the general populace of many other countries. Moderation and activity are two of my keys to a long and enjoyable life.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of portion control rather than dieting. I am tracking calories right now, but I am doing it by eating what I want so I don't feel deprived. I'm a pretty healthy eater except maybe I could eat a few more veggies.