Buy a Treadmill or a year long gym membership?

Options
124»

Replies

• MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm on a new adventure. I've always belonged to a gym in the past. I lost 115 pounds through diet and the gym. But I went through some changes in my life and suddenly I would look up and it had been weeks since I'd seen the inside of my gym. And of course, the weight started piling on again.

So I decided to put together my own home gym. Af first it was simple things. Because in truth, you don't need any equipment at all. If you look around on youtube you can find exercise for cardio and for building muscle. So people on a budget don't have to feel like they're just SOL.

I started collecting things people were giving away. My entire litte gym, treadmill and bowflex, were given to me. Now that I see I can workout faithfully at home and my stuff won't just become odd clothes racks, I'm investing in a few pieces that I like like an elliptical and weights.

To me, it's harder to say I couldn't make it to the gym when the gym is right there in the next room. LOL!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Which ever keeps you more consistent. For myself, it's the gym. For my aunt, it's a treadmill. You just have to find what you will stick with FOR LIFE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My wife and I had to make the same choice!

We chose the gym membership and are glad we did. :smile:

If I had just the treadmill, we would have been bored as heck. The gym offers the variety we need to keep the workouts interesting.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal decision that has to factor in your lifestyle. None of us can make really know what is best for you. For me, my True treadmill has worked very well. It's 115-120 degrees here for several months of the year, with lows in the 90's at night. I hate heat, so I am not going to spend much time outside walking from April through October. I already work long hours away from home, leaving my poor dog here alone. I do not want to be away from home any longer than that. I'm fairly content to come home, climb on my treadmill and read the newspaper or a book on my iPad. It gets the job done right here. I spent a lot of money on this treadmill in 2001. It has good cushioning for the joints; it is very quiet and it was worked flawlessly for 11 years.

But again, other people have other life situations. The key is to figure out a fitness program that is sustainable for YOU.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a cheap elliptical in dread of thinking about even going to the gym... never used it. Joined the gym and fell in love, and use the elliptical there almost everyday (odd I know). I get more varied workouts and something that motivates me to get up earlier every morning. Not to mention I've gotten to know a few people at the gym that are on the same journey as me :D

I believe it is the machinery as well. If you are used to the Precors at most gyms, you will likely NOT like anything else. You can find reasonable deals on used Precors as they go on forever!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is a better burn than the treadmil. But, with a gym membership you have much more than just the elliptical and treadmill. Beside other cardio you'll have the ability to strength train... which in my opinion is key for weight loss. My vote is the gym, if you definately will go. I can't live without my gym membership, my Iphone or my starbucks coffee :drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Gym Gym Gym

weight lifting is a must.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I need a gym myself, I lift weights. I run outside because luckily I live in CA. I do however still want a treadmill but its low on the list since I can always go to the gym when its really hot or rainy, i don't think it ever gets too cold here where a long sleeve thermal wont cut it...

Why not month to month for the gym to see how it goes?
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Where in India are you? If you're in Delhi, I have a couple of suggestions.

Other than that, a gym will allow you to do a variety of activities, you could try the stationary bikes, rowing machines, and swimming for example. And once you get fitter, it may be that you decide to incorporate weights into your routine as well, as this will help build muscle, which will boost your metabolism, and help you to burn more calories.

Have you thought of alternatives to these? You could try to find a personal trainer, some start you off with exercises that don't require any equipment, and some have their own mini gyms, that you use, free of charge during the PT session. Another option, if that is difficult to find/expensive, is to try group classes. Most cities have them on a pay as you go basis. If you're looking to lose weight, try to find higher intensity ones, not something like yoga. Also, if anyone in your household has a games console, lots of them have exercise "games", which can be good fun, and help lose weight.

Variety is the spice of life, if you have a mixture of things you enjoy doing, you will be more likely to keep it up! That's my opinion anyway, hope this helps.
  • Mawra
    Mawra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest neither, get some running shoes and get outside, but then you mentioned the heat and I HATE running in the heat so I totally understand that! Someone suggested getting up at 5am when the heat is *only* 29-30 degrees?! Yikes that may be cool in India but that's hot here in the UK and I sure as heck don't want ot be getting up at 5am if I don't have to!!
    All things considered, I'd go with the gym membership. At a nice, air conditioned gym where you can get a varied workout. Ask a trainer to draw up a program for you and review it every few weeks to make sure that you continue to push yourself as you get fitter and don't get bored of the same old routine.
    Haha I know, heat or no heat. I'm a journalist with an erratic schedule, i sometime go to bed at 5 am, so I'm sure I'm never going to be consistent with the running idea. Although, I love walking to music, but sadly that does not burn a lot of calories
  • Mawra
    Options
    How close would the gym be, could you walk there? It really depends on how you think you're going to feel after a long day at work - would you be willing to travel to the gym then?

The gym's great for atmosphere, but you don't need that if you find something to keep you going at home. Personally, I have a cross trainer and I just play some music and keep focused on some Jamiroquai for an hour. I couldn't care less that I'm alone in a room singing out of key scaring the neighbours by going "Doo doo doo-dooooo".

hahahaha that really cracked me up and no, the gym is at quite a distance and I'd have to take the subway most probably, but that wouldn't really be much of an issue.
  • Mawra
    Options

Other than that, a gym will allow you to do a variety of activities, you could try the stationary bikes, rowing machines, and swimming for example. And once you get fitter, it may be that you decide to incorporate weights into your routine as well, as this will help build muscle, which will boost your metabolism, and help you to burn more calories.

Have you thought of alternatives to these? You could try to find a personal trainer, some start you off with exercises that don't require any equipment, and some have their own mini gyms, that you use, free of charge during the PT session. Another option, if that is difficult to find/expensive, is to try group classes. Most cities have them on a pay as you go basis. If you're looking to lose weight, try to find higher intensity ones, not something like yoga. Also, if anyone in your household has a games console, lots of them have exercise "games", which can be good fun, and help lose weight.

Variety is the spice of life, if you have a mixture of things you enjoy doing, you will be more likely to keep it up! That's my opinion anyway, hope this helps.

I'm actually based in Calcutta at the moment. You're right about yoga actually, I've been doing yoga for close to 13 yers now and my body somehow does not respond to it much.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    A month's pay? Neither. There is lots you can do at home with cheap or no equipment. I like the rec. for YouTube workouts. There are a lot of free workout sites online. Good luck!

(Walking burns nearly as many calories per mile as running, it just takes longer.)
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I'm actually based in Calcutta at the moment. You're right about yoga actually, I've been doing yoga for close to 13 yers now and my body somehow does not respond to it much.

Hey, that's cool . I'm a bong, but born and raised in London. Yoga really isn't great for losing weight, but it's good for relaxing and improving your balance and flexibility. Do you like dancing? You could try taking a class like zumba, or a belly dance class if you're feeling more adventurous. Just a few other suggestions. :)
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I personally vote for the treadmill/elyptical.... because you get to keep that, where as if you get a gym membership for a year, its expensive, it only lasts for one year, and you may not use it as much as you would the treadmill/elyptical as you would have it more than a year....
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I'm so confused between buying a treadmill/elliptical or signing up for a year-long gym membership. To be honest, I'm not that motivated to go to the gym everyday, but then again I loved the charged up atmosphere at the gym. I'm thoroughly confused as buying a treadmill or an elliptical would cost me almost a month's pay (around$600).
    Also, which would be better at burning calories: Treadmill or elliptical, I personally find elliptical to be a bit more challenging, but I have seen better results on the treadmill in the past (I'd know, since I'm losing weight for the second time and had almost managed to lose and gain back close to 80 pounds :()

It depends on how motivated you are about working out at home. Personally, once I get home, I want to be able to sit down and relax, and I'm not one to get up at the butt crack of dawn to exercise (though I wish I were). Home exercise equipment would probably end up looking like a very expensive coat rack at my house. I'm better off getting a membership at a gym that's on my regular route home, that way I don't have an excuse not to go. If I don't go, there is not other reason that I was feeling lazy...and I don't like to think of myself as lazy.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i have both. I go to the gym a lot, but sometimes the winter weather causes me to stay home and run. I do enjoy both but know I push harder at the gym because my coach is there. Does not matter which way you go as long as you excerise and stay healthy. If gym is one year contract, ind out what the early cancel cost is or check for a three month try-it time that way you are not tied to a contract. Good luck
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i had a gym membership about 10 years ago. after 3 months, i stopped going. not for lack of motivation, but living in los angeles, the gym felt more like a meat market (everyone checking each other out, trying to hook up with each other) than anything else. i didn't end up officially canceling until about another 5 months later. what a waste of money. fast forward to february 2012, i couldn't afford a membership, so i ended up getting an elliptical. i only paid $100 for it. no, it wasn't brand-new, but it still worked. i used it as often as i could, anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes. i loved it! i could watch tv while working out and i could work out while my son napped. but, i eventually had to sell it. :( so now, i walk/jog at the trails near my house at least 3 times a week. on the days i don't, i work out to a tae bo dvd at home.

but the choice is really up to YOU since YOU are the only one that will benefit from whatever choice you make. if it's too hot in india to run/walk outdoors, then get something for your home. an elliptical is easier on the knees. buy a used one so you don't have to spend too much money on it. if it ends up collecting dust or used to hang your clothes on, then you can sell it.