Scared to work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I recommend 30 Day Shred as well...I'm the same way about gyms and was stuck with very little space at home but very little desire to go reveal my clumsy, uncoordinated, red-faced, sweaty and heavy breathing workout self to the world so I picked up 30 Day Shred. All you need is a yoga mat (if you have hard floors), enough space to lay out the mat and swing your arms and a set of small weights or equivalent (I use 5 because it's the smallest that were in the house but if I were buying them, probably would get 2-3lb...some people use canned goods). You can even watch the videos on Youtube for free.
  • rolandgaspar
    Options
    Trust me when I say that no one is paying attention to you, so there's no reason to feel nervous. The gym is a place where everyone is literally focused on themselves and unless you're being overly obnoxious somehow (i.e. chatting really loud on the phone while on the treadmill or steadily dropping weights) everyone is pretty much tuned out to the other people around them. I agree with the other posters that said to work out at home until you are more comfortable, but if you prefer to be at the gym, put your headphones on, and strut in there as if you'd just won a marathon! :happy:

^^ This...

Though, every once in a while, one enjoys looking around at the cute people.. you know.. something to strive towards and such... but, really, seriously and truly, no one cares.

At most, people will see you as someone making an effort, and, well, that's what everyone else is there for!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Most heavy people feel like this when they join a gym, I certainly did, but they just do it. Trust me, its worth taking the plunge, and most gym user are supportive of big people taking positive action to deal with their weight problems.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get comfortable working out at the gym. I found that if I plugged into my music as soon as I got there, it was easier. But while you can workout at home until you feel more ready, the only way to get over your fear is to get out there and do it.
    Nobody is gonna judge you. Half the time, I don't even notice the other people there. We're all there just doing our thing.
    I was terrified that I would use one of the machines wrong and someone would laugh at me. That never happened, but just yesterday I saw someone having trouble figuring out a machine, and you know what? Nobody snickered, nobody stared. We all looked around to see if anyone else was on their way to help the guy out, and then the first person there helped him to figure out how to use it.
    We've all been newbs to the gym. Don't worry, and definitely don't be scared.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anybody else, but I really have a tough time attempting to 'work out' in public, the ideas and trauma of people's thoughts and gazes, I just can't take it, even if nobody is doing such a thing. I mean can barely walk into my gym, let alone go for a run or a ride around my block in the morning.

oh sweetie! first of all, huge hug to you!

Secondly, I know exactly how it feels. One of the best things about sticking with my weight loss and going to the gym is the confidence boost I have gotten. It gets better, I promise!

If you feel uncomfortable, you can do what I did: use the more secluded spots in the gym to do your excercises. You don't *have* to join a group lesson for zumba if you don't want to (though, for some people it really halps to get over the confidence issues, so maybe that's something to think about?) Above all, remember this: this journey is about YOU.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anybody else, but I really have a tough time attempting to 'work out' in public, the ideas and trauma of people's thoughts and gazes, I just can't take it, even if nobody is doing such a thing. I mean can barely walk into my gym, let alone go for a run or a ride around my block in the morning.

Maybe it's time to not care what anyone else thinks. I'm shocked that you consider "people's thoughts and gazes" to be "traumatic." I do lots of things I know other people stare at--my wardrobe is pretty darned unique, I walk with a cane but ride a motorcycle and motorcycle camp--alone. I know I look pretty stupid setting up a tent and screen room with one hand clutching the cane, especially dressed in men's basketball shorts and a women's halter top. On top of that, I'm mid-fifties and was NEVER more than barely attractive--now I'm downright grizzled. So what? I like the clothes and the tent and screen room get up eventually. Let 'em stare. Let 'em point.

Do what makes ya feel good, and what you want to do and never mind what other people think or look at. It matters not at all.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Totally feel you. In the past, the number of times I've psyched myself out is immeasurable. :ohwell:

Working out at home is a great way to get started. Build your confidence working out at home. Then going for power walks outdoors.

I remember when I first started going to a gym. I committed to a personal trainer and he made me work out in front of the mirrors so I could keep an eye on my form. O.M.G. The thoughts that would go through my head about what everyone else must be thinking were almost incapacitating. :sick: But doing what personal trainers do, he didn't give a crap about that and kept me working.

Soon I realized that most everyone was in some form of...gym-exerted distortion. :D Grunts, near-orgasmic moans, "power" faces, plastered hair, grimaces, etc. And most everyone was so strongly focused on themselves and their workouts, they obviously didn't have time to point and laugh at me (nor did they care to).

It also helped me to keep me in my "work out box" when I had headphones on. It was almost like no one else was there. Just me, tunes, a whole lot of sweat and my "ugly" power face. ;) Also, there were significantly less people at the gym early in the morning (or after 9:30pm). Going then, helped ease me into it as well.
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options
    people at the gym are probably going to look at you proud that youre actually working out unlike so many other people in the world. the only person youre hurting by not going is yourself. go once and you'll find out that it really isn't as bad as you have it made out to be in your head! trust me, i've felt this way before as well but once you just get in there and do your thing you'll realize you were overhyping it and everyone else is there for the same reason you are, to work out.
  • leia_ophelia
    leia_ophelia Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1. As others said, work out at home until you build your confidence
    2. Have a gym buddy. When I started exercising having a gym bddy that have the same level of fitness helps because then we can work out together and encourage each other
    3. Know that there is nothing to be scared about, other people in the gym will not notice you, they don't really care what other people are doing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You'll get over it as soon as you realize people just plain don't care. I used to be that way. Now I work out at the park. And in the parking lot of the car dealership while the car is getting serviced.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone in this, and I think the only way to really get past it is to just get out there and do it, and work on focusing on what you're doing, not what others might be thinking. Listen to music, or an audio book that helps to distract you.

After a while, you should get used to it.

I agree. The idea that confidence only comes when you've lost weight or think you look better bothers me. You should love and respect yourself at any size and no matter your appearance. It doesn't matter what anyone but YOU thinks about yourself.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    There is no golden rule saying you have to join a gym. Take a walk. Workout at home.

I can't afford a gym membership. I have so many back problems I am limited to what I can do anyway other than walking.

I found out a few years ago that some of the local churches have gyms available for anyone to use at no charge. They are only open early in the morning. They may not have as much equipment but they do have bikes and rowers and weight benches. I was really surprised to learn this. A lot of older people go who aren't members of the church itself. Ask around and see if there is anything like that where you live. The community recreation center has a gym but it's expensive. They do have some classes for beginners, usually held in the evenings.

Don't worry about people looking at you. I am ocd about my gray roots showing, I could care less if someone thinks I'm fat and flabby but I went gray so early in life it really bothers me and I feel like everyone is staring. I know they aren't. I doubt people are gathering around water coolers to discuss the way we look. lol.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can take a class? I go to the gym, but it's to learn self-defense. I'm still burning a goodly amount of calories, but I'm having fun and not paying attention to what others think. Also, I'm pretty sure zumba is mostly for people who want to lose weight, so you'd have company.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else....work out at home if you feel uncomfortable working out in public, but keep this in mind: the people at the gym are there for the same reasons you are. Sure, you might meet a few "Barbie Dolls," but talk to them. You might be surprised to learn they started off the same way you did!

I did drop my gym membership because the yearly cost was going through the roof. I bought myself a treadmill, along with some inexpensive free weights, bands, etc. However, I was a regular at the gym for several years, and I can assure you...people of all ages, shapes, and sizes were right there working out with me and the only attention anyone got was that of encouragement and support. We were all there working toward the same goal.

I specifically recall one gentleman who was extremely obese when he started coming to the gym, but wow, was he dedicated! I literally watched him shrink month after month and within a year, he had a bod like "Magic Mike!" He's still going to the gym, but now he is there as a personal trainer and is the nicest, most understanding man you'd ever want to meet, and he is only one of many.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I specifically recall one gentleman who was extremely obese when he started coming to the gym, but wow, was he dedicated! I literally watched him shrink month after month and within a year, he had a bod like "Magic Mike!" He's still going to the gym, but now he is there as a personal trainer and is the nicest, most understanding man you'd ever want to meet, and he is only one of many.
    What a fantastic story! I always wanted to be able to watch someone go through a huge transformation like that in real life (not just on Biggest Loser).
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on this issue:

1) Whenever I see somebody who is overweight or unfit exercising, I think to myself "good on you, congrats for deciding to improve yourself".
    2) You can do some great workouts at home:
    a) Check out the beginners workout on Nerd Fitness to get started.
    b) Look at sworkit.com, or their mobile site m.sworkit.com - they have some easy do it at home exercises to get you in shape.
    c) Body weight exercises are fantastic.
    3) If you want to run but are still self conscious, run when its dark.
    4) Buy yourself some nice workout clothes that you feel comfortable in. I actually enjoy trying out my new shirts & shorts.
    5) Find a class. Safety in numbers! Places like Wag Jag and Groupon are great places to look for deals - they bring in lots of beginners and you get a bargain at the same time!
    6) Finally if all else fails, and drive to the next town where nobody knows you and go for it!

All the best to everyone on MFP! Keep up the good work!
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out at home. I really do not like the thought of people being around when I make funny faces or drip sweat. On the other hand, I have a rowing machine, an eliptical machine, an ab lounge, free weights, tension bands, a punching bag, and a WII. Therefore, it is just as easy to work out here...