Do you work on Abs everyday?

Options
I know there are different thoughts on rather or not you can overwork your abs. I usually try to work them a few times a week but notice that i haven't been doing that. I work them during Zumba and Pilates but i guess its not really a targeted workout and with my belly being the place where fat clings on my body i wonder if i should work them hard each day. I know that diet is the most important factor in losing belly fat but wondered if anyone recommends doing a targeted ab workout each day when it is the problem area.

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks but I don't have abs-only routines. I do compound exercises with weights 3x a week and they work the core like hell.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I know there are different thoughts on rather or not you can overwork your abs. I usually try to work them a few times a week but notice that i haven't been doing that. I work them during Zumba and Pilates but i guess its not really a targeted workout and with my belly being the place where fat clings on my body i wonder if i should work them hard each day. I know that diet is the most important factor in losing belly fat but wondered if anyone recommends doing a targeted ab workout each day when it is the problem area.

Your abs are like any other muscle in your body. You can over train them. They need rest to grow and get stronger.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When I'm active in boxing - yes.

There's a few things to know about abs:

They are a muscle like every other muscle, and need to be rested when overloaded.

Beginner exercises like crunches and such don't really overload them much, except when you are first starting to exercise.

Abs are an isometric muscle - that means they are basically meant to flex and not move. They are stabilizers. There's a school of thought that any kind of ab-movement exercise is counter-intuitive. Like crunches. Better would be: Plank variations.

Abs can be worked out without doing ab exercises. Anything that hits the core hard will do it. Such as barbell squats and deadlifts.

If you really and truly overload them, TAKE SOME REST (1 day). You'll know, because your core will be thrashed the next day.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I do something that engages my core almost daily. I've been increasing my ab workouts (Ab Ripper X and similar) so now I only do an actual ab workout every other day (3x per week). I notice I'm getting mroe results than before when I was doing abs (crunches, etc) every day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't do direct ab work everyday, they need time to recover. You actually don't need to do any direct ab work to get a strong core. If you focus on compound lifts with heavy weights your core gets engaged and works as a secondary muscle leaving no need to do isolation work.

That said, I do direct ab work one day/week, the majority of my core work comes from my lifting routine (compound lifts) as mentioned above.

OP, what exactly are you expecting out of your ab work?

If it is to get visible abs, working your abs will not give you a 6 pack, you already have one covered in a layer of fat, just lower body fat enough and you will see abs.
    If it is for a functional and strong core, just do compound lifts and they will strengthen along with the other muscle groups you are working at the same time (killing 2 birds, in this case 3-5 birds) with one stone)
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Funny that you bring this up now...or ironic. I have hit abs hard (maybe too hard) for the last several days in a row. I'm feeling the pain and was wondering if I should alternate that area just like I do the rest of my workouts. Thanks for bring this up!
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I never work abs directly - tbh probably should a bit

Cant comment too much cos my abs dont remotely show over my excessive fat but they are pretty solid I reckon all from compound exercises
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Considering the nature of the muscle...YES.

If you call working abs isolation excercises, then NEVER.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't do direct ab work everyday, they need time to recover. You actually don't need to do any direct ab work to get a strong core. If you focus on compound lifts with heavy weights your core gets engaged and works as a secondary muscle leaving no need to do isolation work.

That said, I do direct ab work one day/week, the majority of my core work comes from my lifting routine (compound lifts) as mentioned above.

Second this. Whole body compound lifts.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Isolated abs training is unnecessary and pointless and if you need it that means you're not doing enough full body movements in the rest of your training. A proper workout consists of doing full body exercises that consist of integrating the core into the movements.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Doing countless hours of ab work will indeed make them stronger but it will not get rid of the fat clinging to the top of them.... Diet is the biggest factor. Eat clean and build muscle to improve metabolic burn.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Doing countless hours of ab work will indeed make them stronger but it will not get rid of the fat clinging to the top of them.... Diet is the biggest factor. Eat clean and build muscle to improve metabolic burn.

You don't have to eat clean, just eat at a caloric deficit for long enough to lose fat. Make sure you lift and get plenty of protein so the majority of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of losing muscle.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

What exactly are compound lifts?
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    First, the "spot fat reduction myth" - because the fat is on the belly, doing targetted exercises for a body part will not shift the fat any faster - you will tone or build the muscle.

Second, the "ab craze" - once such a minor uninteresting body part and now the fitness juggernaut of cash is on to promoting ABS we cannot look but through a sea of crass useless devices and fad diets.

Third, a well rounded exercise program as already hinted at works your core muscles just fine.

Fourth, there is a UK fitness trainer calleds "Abs Man" - Natural Bodybuilding Champion for a number of years. He states that he does NO ABS EXERCISES accept close to competition to get a pump.

The ABS like the trapesius and the obliques respond really well to weighted training, thus spending to much time on them overdevelops them in relation to other muscles (overdevelop as in disproportional). Other muscles need more time, much more useful muscles like rotator cuff, core stability, balance, hips.

Lastly, someone wrote that the ab exercises are mainly shortening exercises like the crunch and then said that the plank is better. The plank is a great core exercise, it is not that great for targetting ABS. However, you can stretch the ABS by laying on your stomach and reversing the crunch and there are many alternatives where you can lengthen, stretch the abs and not just shorten the ABS.

Hope this helps.

ps.Compound lifts the squat,deadlift,chest press- not old hat but there are ways of really hitting the core dynamically and as stabilisers and the old compounds are pretty much stabiliser. You core twists and turns, goes back and forth not just strict form weight lifting!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I train my abs twice a week for 10 minutes and that's it. Works for me.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    First, the "spot fat reduction myth" - because the fat is on the belly, doing targetted exercises for a body part will not shift the fat any faster - you will tone or build the muscle.

Second, the "ab craze" - once such a minor uninteresting body part and now the fitness juggernaut of cash is on to promoting ABS we cannot look but through a sea of crass useless devices and fad diets.

Third, a well rounded exercise program as already hinted at works your core muscles just fine.

Fourth, there is a UK fitness trainer calleds "Abs Man" - Natural Bodybuilding Champion for a number of years. He states that he does NO ABS EXERCISES accept close to competition to get a pump.

The ABS like the trapesius and the obliques respond really well to weighted training, thus spending to much time on them overdevelops them in relation to other muscles (overdevelop as in disportional). Other muscles need more time, much more useful muscles like rotator cuff, core stability, balance, hips.

Lastly, someone wrote that the ab exercises are mainly shortening exercises like the crunch and then said that the plank is better. The plank is a great core exercise, it is not that great for targetting ABS. However, you can stretch the ABS by laying on your stomach and reversing the crunch and there are many alternatives where you can lengthen, stretch the abs and not just shorten the ABS.

Hope this helps.

Think you have gone slightly off OP topic re-asserting spot reduction myth (which I do agree is a myth) OP said they know that doesn't work

I do agree though that the fitness market heavily targets the abs which do not need working in isolation. But its simple - abs are last to show through minimum fat. I know super fit cool looking people, they still struggle and moan about abs - its a marketing dream which is perpetuated through ignoring fat/food is more important than exercise for abs

Most people who work abs directly in hope of definition are many stone, %age bodyfat, months even years away from achieving them
  • erickirb
    Options

What exactly are compound lifts?

Compound lifts are strength training moves that use a variety of muscle groups in each movement. Examples are :
    Squats (Pretty much the whole body is involved to varying degrees, mostly legs)
    Deadlifts (Total Body gets involved in this one)
    Bench Press (Chest, shoulders, Tricpes, some core)
    Shoulder Press (shoulder, a little upper chest, tricpes, core)
    Pendlay rows (Back, biceps, core, a bit of hammies and glutes)
    etc
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    bump
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The trainer at the gym told me to let them rest in between workouts, only to do the ab specific exercises a couple times a week. She said that it was best to alternate upper/lower body workouts. This has worked for me so far. I remember when I first started her ab workouts, there was no way I could do them again the next day. After a few days I was good to go. I can do more reps that way. That's just me though, everyone is different.
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nope! Besides doing planks, I could go for months and not do abs. Its all about diet. Plain and simple.