Why do there appear to be more women than men here?

Options

Replies

• PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Why is a guy complaining that he is surrounded my gorgeous women? ...... I know why
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My husband signed up for mfp and the first time he tried to log calories he quit

Same thing here! My husband was like, "Whoa. Too much work. Next."

That's pretty funny! I use this site because it really makes it EASY to track your calories ... :huh:
  • gladpants
    gladpants Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a dude... I like this site. and 50% of my friends are men... out of 2 :p I think everything has been said here as to why there are fewer, however those who stick with it seem to be very serious about changing their lifestyle.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Because we're AWESOME! Lol. Really I think its because women are the more social side of the gender, so we're more likley to go out and look for friends with likewise ideas and goals and such. Not saying that men aren't supposed to do that, just an observation.

**Seems to be the common thought here...guess I should have read the thread first before creating an echo!! Anyway, we're still awesome!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    hey i've only got 50 friends and 7 are guys for 14%
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I dunno - my FL seems to be FULL of men... 50/50 men to women.... they're here... you'll find them :)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Most men are just more slack about their health in general. Women are more apt to go to a doctor when they have a medical problem and a larger percentage of women get routine physicals. Plus, this site is marketed toward women. All of the before and after photos on the sign-up page are of women.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I found this site to be really helpful but it took a surprising amount of convincing to get my husband to use it too, but once he did he realized how useful it could be. I noticed that the men that are on here are either looking to lose substantial weight or body builders. I am curious why there is not much interest from people in middle of those two. My husband wants to lose about 20lbs, he would like to tone up his midsection but he doesn't really want to body build. He thought that this was unnecessary for him.

I am mostly just bumping so I can read this later but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    All the guys are over on bodybuilding.com. It's a sausage fest over there.
  • stuartadair1
    stuartadair1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dunno - my FL seems to be FULL of men... 50/50 men to women.... they're here... you'll find them :)

Oh thats it then - I really must be irresistable to women :laugh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Check out tv commercials. How many of them have a husband that is a little overweight while the woman is thin and pretty? That's telling both sexes that the guys can let themselves go and its expected while women have to be diligent and stay thin.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think guys just don't ask for friend requests as much as women. Unless there's a certain group of individuals that have something in common that you find in discussion groups. Example I follow the triathlete group discussions. But I don't care the sex of my friends as long as everyone is supportive, which they are. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband is technically on MFP, but I'm the one who does all his food and exercise logging. He thinks it's too much work to log food. It takes me (at most) ten minutes a day. <shrug>
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Because my husband can drop 50 lbs by just switching from high calorie energy drinks to low calorie ones without so much as batting his eyes. And he can eat his daily doughnuts, chocolate chip cookies and cheese in a can without worrying about it turning to fat.

Also there are more women in the world than there are men...so I guess in a site that can represent the worlds populace, it seems logical.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered from my own friends, and you know, the media etc. Etc. :smile: more women may be critical of their bodies than men. Shocking revelation, I know :bigsmile: At the very least I think it's fair to say more women are open to expressing their body insecurities in a public space like MFP. But I think the body image thing has truth to it. I asked a close guy friend if he wanted to join MFP and start working out with me and he said, "Why, I'm in great shape." Ehhh, he's really not, but I won't rain on his parade.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about some research before (I don't have the source) that showed that in general, when women want to lose weight they tend to count calories, watch their diet etc. Men in general tend to workout more, or take up an old sport they used to like. Since MFP is mostly about logging food, maybe that has something to do with it?

Also, most of the women I know who are losing weight, love the support of others. The men, once they're focused on their goal don't seem to need the support as much, and can happily do it on their own. Just an observation.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I just don't think men seek out online support as much. Some may be using MFP stealthfully - and then they tap their friends and gym mates for personal support.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Men are bad at giving and asking for support in general.
    Im willing to take on male or female friends if they are willing to help motivate me to reach my goal.
    Im a male but if a female is going to offer advice and be supportive Id rather have that.
    Im way more open in here than I am in real life.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I think many men don't feel the same type of pressure to look a certain way as women do.

In movies, even the horribly obese woman, the ugly duckling, etc. is basically Carmen Electra. Our media portrays ANY man as being able to easily get with such a girl. While on the other hand, it shows that if women are not goddesses, they probably couldn't even be seen by people.

There are other cultural aspects as well that affect who will seek aid in weight loss and fitness.
  • beandawgy
    beandawgy Posts: 92
    Options
    I love the humorous responses on here...

I think as of late, if become motivated to keep tabs on my health and MFP has helped immensely. I think someone posted about Magic Mike...haha and at least for me that's motivation to get in better shape and stay that way. Not that I'll ever look like Magic Mike probably due to genetics, but I'm damn well gonna try LOL

A lot can be said about pressure...but there's definitely pressure out there for men to look good as well. As it's been said some just don't care, but there are those that do (which are the ones that probably log onto MFP religiously, like myself)..I'm pretty critical about my results and what I want to get out of my fitness goal...and my I have to admit there's a vanity component to it too..but it's definitely a motivator in the end.

I never really paid attention to my friends list in regards to gender, but there's definitely more females on it than men...