Suggestions for someone who hates running?

Options
That someone being ME! LOL I am not a fan of running- could possibly have something to do with the fact that i'm still like 95 lbs overweight... I really want an elliptical trainer, but alas right now..I don't have the funds. My parents have a tredmill- but that thing scares me and it's so miserably hot outside that the thought of going out and attempting to run even ten feet has me wanting to curl up on the couch with some lifetime. I can't run at all....at least not yet- I mean, I can buttttt i'm out of breath in like .0384 ... any suggestions are welcome *and yes, I know some of you will say - just get out there and run and eventually you'll work your way up* ..... but uhhh, yeah....any suggestions on HOW to build it up...like 30 seconds walk 30 seconds run 30 seconds walk....etc...

:happy:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    do you have a smartphone?
    download the C25k app. its a trainer, gets you from couch to a 5k. its just like you noted, walk 2 minutes, run 90 secs, alternating. and its builds you up week after week. and you can repeat weeks if your not ready.

personally im just walking right now. download an audio book or listen to music (obviously) and it makes the time go by fast.
    since its a heat wave pretty much everywhere in the US, go walking at dusk or after dusk...
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K Plan, aka C25K

this.... taught me how to become a runner!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can't run either due to a knee issue.

Here is what I'd do:

- Walk at a brisk pace.
    - Join a GYM with ellptical machines
    - Ride a bike
    - Walk stairs (HS football stands are great for this).
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K program is the best for anyone who has never ran. It takes some endurance to stay at it but well worth it. You will start off week one barely being able to run 60 secs and the next thing you know your body is running 5 mins! Its a perfect program for beginners.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend the C25K program -- there's a set of FREE NHS Choice podcasts you can download from itunes -- it's very simple, this British woman kindly tells you when to walk and run and there's some peppy music played along with it.

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

Oh I love this, thank you!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    do you have a planet fitness near you? They have a 10 dollar a month membership. The elliptical is your bff. I hate to run, but on an elliptical I can watch tv/ listen to music/ read so its alot less boring
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend the C25K program -- there's a set of FREE NHS Choice podcasts you can download from itunes -- it's very simple, this British woman kindly tells you when to walk and run and there's some peppy music played along with it.

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com

agreed my favorite
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    do you have a planet fitness near you? They have a 10 dollar a month membership. The elliptical is your bff. I hate to run, but on an elliptical I can watch tv/ listen to music/ read so its alot less boring

I do, and i've actually been debating joining- the only issue I would have is they don't have childcare- and I have a 2 yr old. So i'd only be able to go when my parents would be willing to watch him- would only be two or three times a week.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Running is not the only cardio option!

Brisk walks with or without intermittent jogging
    Exercise DVD's
    join a gym if possible
    calisthenics at home (there's tons of routines out there if you google it)
  • jenniferinfla
    Options
    I can't run I have tried and tried..I wish I could....But theres lots of things you can do to get some cardio Don't give up
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Oh, I know. I actually do cardio at home right now- with my zumba dvd's... but i'd love to be able to go out and enjoy a run a couple times a week, too. I used to run everyday- long ago when I was 165 lbs- but then I stopped, the weight piled on and well, now I can't run at all . LOL
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you don't like to run, then why force it? Try other activities such as biking, swimming, walking, machines, DVDs, tennis, canoeing, hiking, etc. If you do want to work on running, then start with intervals and work your way back into it. Good luck!
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. I was the exact same way. I still don't like running, but it's free and I'm getting results!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? That's where I do my jogging. Low impact and you have the water resistance you dont have on the street. I love it!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here that initially really up-talked the C25K program to me, so I tried it out... and it's freakin awesome.

What I will note though (things she and others have told me on the forums):

Start slow. Do what the program says (I used the app on my iphone, it works awesome). They say when jogging, jog slow. And if you can go slower than that. GO SLOWER. Keep up the jog, but don't over do it. You'll get tired really, really quick... especially if you're like me and never ran in your life.

Also, awesome tip of advise: repeat any weeks you need to as many times as you need to. It was really hard for me to move from the week where you jog for 3 minutes - to the week you jog for 5 minutes. I though I was gonna die. So I stuck with the 3 minute week for about a month... then progressed onto the 5 minute jog week (I wanna say it's like, week 3 to 4 or 4 to 5... something around there)...

So repeat as long as you need to. It says it's an 8 week program. BUT - not for everyone. I used to think I was going to collapse after jogging for 30 seconds. If I even made it that long. But you build your stamina with C25K. And the longer you do the weeks, the easier it gets; then you move onto the next week. :)
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Swim. Great all-round cardio exercise.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Find something you do like! Running is not the only form of exercise. It can be anything... Hiking, biking, walking, swimming, kickboxing, circuit training DVDs like Jillian michaels (very good for being stuck at home with a toddler-trust me) martial arts, dancing, old school aerobics DVDs, ANYTHING! Just get moving and you don't have to limit yourself to running!
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know this is not a "get outside" suggestion, but I know it has helped me with my stamina (to the point where I feel like I could actually attempt running for the first time ever in my life)... Leslie Sansone's videos/DVDs. I do the "5 Big Miles" DVD (portions of it, sometimes even with the resistance band) and I can tell it has really helped me strengthen my knees (my left knee used to hurt, crackle, and pop a lot more) as well as my core (talk about inches lost...)

Leslie also says somewhere along the way that even if you don't want to stay inside and watch the video with them, if you take the music they use and put it on your iPod then you can take it out with you and they have it all timed out to equal so many miles. There might be a website for her that has downloadable files...not sure.