Most upsurd thing I have EVER heard

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ok...so .....I just had a friend tell me (that is trying to do one of these multi-level marketing weight loss plans that shall remain nameless) that you do not even have to excercise as long as you replace two meals a day with this product.

UMMMMM....there are more reasons to excercise than to lose weight. Such as if you don't excercise you are losing muscle and fat and you need to be able to combat that.....it helps to raise your good cholesterol to help your body clean your arteries........help me name the ways......

What is an upsurd?

Your friend is correct to say you don't have to exercise to lose weight. ALL you have to do is consume fewer calories than you burn. Obviously this is EASIER to accomplish if you exercise. It might also be easier if two of your meals were low-calorie meal replacements. It's also not necessarily true that if you don't exercise you will lose muscle not fat. That would depend on just how big your calorie deficit was and whether you were eating less than your BMR, and how much less.

That you are correct that there is value to exercise besides weight loss doesn't make her incorrect when she says you can lose weight without exercise. Weight and health are two different things, with some relatedness, but thin doesn't equal healthy and fat doesn't equal unhealthy. It is nowhere NEAR that simple.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/exercise_importa.htm

Remember not everyone thinks exercise is pleasant or important so be gentle with your friend when you explain these things to her or you may turn her off to the idea even more...
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Chill out with the incorrect spelling in the title guys, don't be the grammar police, not everyone is perfect at spelling (:
    I don't really have anything to add... I lost a lot of weight when I was younger, just by drastically cutting my calorie intake, it wasn't healthy and I had no energy to do anything (study etc) let alone exercise.
    Now i'm at uni, eating healthily AND exercising a lot, I feel like the more I do, the more I can do, if that makes sense? Besides, if I spend two hours playing badminton or rowing then I don't want to eat rubbish, and end up WANTING to make better food choices, so it makes eating better easier (:
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody :) You guys help me also look at it a way that I didn't see it. Maybe I can talk to her a little more to make sure we are both on the same level. I just don't her leading others down a wrong path. Because what she is doing is great.....again...if done correctly.
  • FitLink
    Options
    ....and I chose to let this product remain nameless because when done correctly it is a great key in helping people.

Yeah, this comment makes nervous. I'm not a fan of meal replacements for weight loss, and if it's really so great, why not name it? With almost all meal replacements you gain back everything and more when you return to eating normally, and they don't reinforce better eating habits.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the diet my mom was on from the chiro! There were certain veggies she couldn't have because of too many carbs and no fruit and maybe no dairy,can't remember. She paid enough money for it and got some soup and stuff! Was so glad when her doc said it was a scam!
  • FitLink
    Options
    Thank you everybody :) You guys help me also look at it a way that I didn't see it. Maybe I can talk to her a little more to make sure we are both on the same level. I just don't her leading others down a wrong path. Because what she is doing is great.....again...if done correctly.

Words do matter. Maybe make sure you're both "in the same place" rather than "on the same level." Because you choose to do things differently doesn't make your way better, or a higher "level" than hers.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ok...so .....I just had a friend tell me (that is trying to do one of these multi-level marketing weight loss plans that shall remain nameless) that you do not even have to excercise as long as you replace two meals a day with this product.

UMMMMM....there are more reasons to excercise than to lose weight. Such as if you don't excercise you are losing muscle and fat and you need to be able to combat that.....it helps to raise your good cholesterol to help your body clean your arteries........help me name the ways......

As someone who also is in this same MLM business, she is right and wrong. It ENTIRELY depends on the person. I have had many do it without exercise, and many do it with. The results vary far too much to say one is better than the other. (I personally had to stop taking it due to a thyroid issue, However, my Dr. has now released me to start taking it again - in case you're wondering why I'm on MFP).

I don't think there is a gentle way to say anything to her, just remember it's her beliefs to not exercise just as yours are that you need exercise. Encourage her to work out to GAIN MUSCLE while losing weight/fat. If she doesn't come around, just know that you tried and are a good friend for doing so.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Getting back on topic: You can tell her that women loss bone mass/ density faster than men so if you don't exercise or put any effort into strengthening you bones, then when you're older, your body will loose it's bone mass faster (because it will think you don't use it) leading to osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, higher risk of bone fractures. Many people think elderly break a hip becuase they fell, but it can also be true that they fell becuase they broke their hip due to weak bones. So yeah she doesn't need to yet but by the time she does it will be too late.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options

You don't just automatically lose muscle because you don't exercise. You lose muscle from having too low of a deficit. Your friend is both correct and stupid all at the same time.

your statement about the cause of muscle loss isn't correct either so I wouldn't be so quick to call people names like "stupid".

Muscle can be retained by keeping your protein intake up and exercising even at extreme deficit as is demonstrated in many surgical weight loss programs throughout the country. I for example have an intake averaging 600 calories before exercise due to surgery, I have lost 67 pounds and when last examined for percentages of fat/water/bone/muscle etc... I had lost exactly 1 pound of muscle. The average for any weight loss program (not just medical or surgical) is to lose 33% of total weight loss in muscle. I am well below that percent because of the research on protein intake and exercise.

now to answer the OPs question... reasons to exercise... build new blood vessels, increase stamina, reduce resting heart rate, increase metabolism, endorphins aka runner's high makes me walk out of the gym with my head high because I feel like a million dollars. And most important being able to out run your friend during the zombie apocalypse.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My friend lost 90 pounds in a year without exercise...but it's uncommon. She was also obese to begin with.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ** ABSURD.
    Thank you!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Exercise = free
    Meal replacements = not free
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Chill out with the incorrect spelling in the title guys, don't be the grammar police, not everyone is perfect at spelling (:

I beg to defer!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Since taking a new job, I haven't been exercising. I've been adjusting to a new schedule, new routine, new job, etc -- and felt like something had to give in order to be successful during my training period. Training has officially come to an end now and I'm looking to getting back into the gym.

However. All of this being said? I'm the EXACT same weight I was in April when I started this job. I'm the EXACT same weight I have been since Sept 2010 when I hit my goal weight. Some people don't HAVE to exercise in order to maintain their weight (or to lose). I miss it and am anxious to go back but am happy to see that I don't have to kill myself working out in order to maintain my loss.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've heard the same shmuck from one of my friends. I wasn't buying it. As soon as you quit taking the product and start eating again, you are going to gain it all back! At the same time... most people are sold on it because they are looking for the easy way out!

Bingo!

33067id.jpg
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    what does "upsurd" mean?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition and Exercise are the only things that have ever worked for me... and most of the rest of the world.

Everyone wants the mystical silver bullet. There is no EASY button.

The real deal (nutrition and exercise) is always right under everyone's nose waiting to be acknowledged.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Spell check. Just saying. But having just said, I do realize that a lot of people can't spell and also don't care that they can't spell. I am anal about it, I admit. Maybe I wouldn't be so anal if there wasn't SPELL CHECK and the DICTIONARY. :bigsmile:

But it's all good...
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing, but it sound like you understand that. One could also "lose weight" by amputating a limb, or going to the bathroom. Neither of those would result in a positive change in body composition.

tumblr_lq9n5bnEP91qb9u3so1_500.jpg