• stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    Your spelling of absurd is upsurd.

"Never correct the ignorant in public"
  • bertabird
    bertabird Posts: 52
    Options
    Ok...so .....I just had a friend tell me (that is trying to do one of these multi-level marketing weight loss plans that shall remain nameless) that you do not even have to excercise as long as you replace two meals a day with this product.

UMMMMM....there are more reasons to excercise than to lose weight. Such as if you don't excercise you are losing muscle and fat and you need to be able to combat that.....it helps to raise your good cholesterol to help your body clean your arteries........help me name the ways......

I have been on a weight-loss journey for many years. I hated exercising. I now know better for my body. When losing weight you have to consider the fact that eating properly goes hand-in-hand with exercise. When a person leads a sedentary lifestyle and they eat (even if they eat right/healthy) they calories/carbs they consume sometimes aren't used right away. Our metabolism can be "ramped up" if we exercise. So, eating proper nutrition along with even moderate exercise (30 minutes at least) will help to charge up your metabolism, thereby creating even more calorie/carb/fat burn. Add in a possible low-carb intake and your results may even be better. If the meal replacements are packed full of good and honest nutrition, then I don't see a problem, but you have to keep in mind that EVERYONE'S BODY IS DIFFERENT. Nuff said. ;o)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM....there are more reasons to excercise than to lose weight. Such as if you don't excercise you are losing muscle and fat and you need to be able to combat that.....it helps to raise your good cholesterol to help your body clean your arteries........help me name the ways......

You don't just automatically lose muscle because you don't exercise. You lose muscle from having too low of a deficit. Your friend is both correct and stupid all at the same time.
    Muscle can be retained by keeping your protein intake up and exercising even at extreme deficit as is demonstrated in many surgical weight loss programs throughout the country. I for example have an intake averaging 600 calories before exercise due to surgery, I have lost 67 pounds and when last examined for percentages of fat/water/bone/muscle etc... I had lost exactly 1 pound of muscle. The average for any weight loss program (not just medical or surgical) is to lose 33% of total weight loss in muscle. I am well below that percent because of the research on protein intake and exercise.

You're saying your calorie intake is netting 600 and you aren't losing muscle? Well congratulations on being the only person on earth to make that work. I applaud your wizardry.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ok...so .....I just had a friend tell me (that is trying to do one of these multi-level marketing weight loss plans that shall remain nameless) that you do not even have to excercise as long as you replace two meals a day with this product.

As someone who also is in this same MLM business, she is right and wrong. It ENTIRELY depends on the person. I have had many do it without exercise, and many do it with. The results vary far too much to say one is better than the other. (I personally had to stop taking it due to a thyroid issue, However, my Dr. has now released me to start taking it again - in case you're wondering why I'm on MFP).

I don't think there is a gentle way to say anything to her, just remember it's her beliefs to not exercise just as yours are that you need exercise. Encourage her to work out to GAIN MUSCLE while losing weight/fat. If she doesn't come around, just know that you tried and are a good friend for doing so.

I completely agree! Well said.