Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
Does anyone else do jillian Michales 30 day shred and if so how do you calculate it into your exercise. It's hard to determine how many calories you actually burn right?

Replies

• erinlea75
    erinlea75 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started it last week. When I started I just logged it as general circuit training for 20 minutes. It's a similar type of cardio-strength circuit that my trainer does and she told me to log my workouts with her as circuit training.

Over the weekend, I got a HRM and found I don't burn as many calories at the general circuit training lists in MFP, so I've been going in and manually lowering the calories burned a bit.
  • emmarangel
    emmarangel Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm on my first week of Level 2 and I was wondering the same thing; how to log it into the exercise log. Today is my 3rd day of level two and my body felt so tired!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM. Love it!!!
  • erinlea75
    Options
    I use my HRM. Love it!!!

So let me ask you this, to make sure I'm figuring out my calories burned based on my HRM correctly. While doing 30DS, I checked my HR several times - during cardio, strength, and ab work. Then I basically took an average of the numbers because I knew I wasn't spending the entire time in the 160s (cardio) or in the low 100s (abs).

Do you take an average and then figure out calories burned based on that?
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have seen this calculation posted before. You can use it to figure your burn and create your own exercise (My Exercises) for it.

30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out. ~ taken from Jillian Michaels website

However, I just use 20 mins of circuit training - general since it's real close.
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just used what my HRM told me, normally about 25 min (I count the stretching afterwards) would tell me between 280-300...but when I did the calculation it says about 215 cals...yikes! That's a big difference. I thought I was suppose to just go by my HRM =/
  • erinlea75
    Options
    I have seen this calculation posted before. You can use it to figure your burn and create your own exercise (My Exercises) for it.

30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out. ~ taken from Jillian Michaels website

However, I just use 20 mins of circuit training - general since it's real close.

That's pretty good. I was logging 200 calories burned based on taking the average of my HR. And doing that calculation gives me 201.
  • erinlea75
    Options
    I just used what my HRM told me, normally about 25 min (I count the stretching afterwards) would tell me between 280-300...but when I did the calculation it says about 215 cals...yikes! That's a big difference. I thought I was suppose to just go by my HRM =/

I would go by your heart rate monitor.

And now I need to go back and read the instructions on mine. I have the type that it is a watch and it probably has a calorie mode that I could be using instead of doing all this averaging/multiplying/etc.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM its a Polar F6 and Im hoping its accurate! It has a watch and also the chest strap. does anyone knnow if this is accurate enough to trust?
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Alot of people ask me how many calories do you burn on Jillian Micheal 30 day shred... well I say get a heart rate montior to really track your burn and calories. Also you have to input her exercises into MFP one by one. What I do is look at the video on you tube and write down the names of the exercises and how long she is doing it. Jillian makes alot of her exercises up so they have names that MFP is not up on so this is where you estimate or get a heart rate monitor to help you determine the calories burn. Its a job but if you do it the night before you start its already in your MFP and all you have to do is press select and check when you complete that work out. I did that for 30 day shred and her Killer buns and thighs. A lot of calories can be burned doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. In fact, reports indicate that in just 20 minutes of doing the program you can burn off about 200 calories. This number, however, does change depending on your level of fitness. The Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is designed to burn a lot of calories and increase muscle strength. The program is an interval training system that implements cardio exercise, strength training and core strengthening. The program is high intensity and designed to burn off the calories needed to lose weight. Each of the intervals is short and powerful, ranging between one and three minutes in length. First, you may spend a couple of minutes doing a warm-up, then three minute intervals of strength training combined with cardiovascular exercises. The program increases your heart rate when done correctly, gets your blood pumping, and promotes perspiration. Once you start sweating and breathing heavily, you will know that you are burning calories. The number of calories burned depends on your level of fitness. If you are fit 155 pound male, you can expect to burn between 160-175 calories in 20 minutes. However, if you are an unfit 255 pound male, you may not burn as many calories. This is especially true for beginners, but the harder you work, the more calories you will burn. Before you know it the pounds will be falling off. Good luck.. I have 6 more days to go before moving on to her Ripped in 30! :) #teamfitandsexy
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day of the 30 day shred and exactly 3 months since I started working out and eating right! I lost a total of 8 inches from my body this last 30 days on the shred but the results from the past 3 months are awesome. Start date April 30th until now: My neck went from 14 inches to 12 inches, My chest went from 45 inches to 38 inches, My waist went from 39 1/2 inches to 31 inches :), My hips went from 44 1/2 inches to 38 inches, my upper arms went from 13 inches to 11 inches, my thighs went from 27 inches to 23 inches and i went from a flabby 200.8 lbs to a toned 175 lbs. I also went from a size XL /12 almost 14 dress size to a size 8 (with spandex that is loose on me) :) I love these results! Tomorrow starts Ripped in 30 for the next 30 days along with some Hip Hop Abs and Zumba for fun :)
  • hollskii
    Options
    what's HRM?
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I just joined this sight tonight.
    I have this DVD and did about 15 minutes of the level 1 workout the other day. I had to stop due to time constraints.
    My goal is to lose about 10 lbs....I plan on using this DVD but alternating days with a cardio exercise. Either a 5k run or cycling. Tonight was cycling.....intervals. yuck.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Wow thanks a lot for this! I don't have a HRM yet, so I was entering 190 as an average of everybody's HRM, this gives me 192.

what's HRM?

Heart rate monitor
  • emmarangel
    Options
    I've completed day 9 of the 30ds level 2 and I'm anxious and nervous about level 3. It's been tough but I've stuck with it....I'm on vacation the next two weeks starting Monday so it's not going to be feasible for me to start level 3 until I get back. In the meantime, I'll have to substitute with other things I can do without hand weights.
  • emmarangel
    Options
    At BossLadyDay:

Congratulations! That's awesome and soooo encouraging! That just goes to prove that with a little hard work and dedication you can lose weight the healthy way!
  • heatherlynnb
    heatherlynnb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I really like this DVD. I got it cheap which was a plus. Its demanding for my wife but the cardio is too easy for me. I do it for the abs. So, we do it when I get home from the gym where i do a primarily cardio routine. So that works for us.

As for calories, my gym cardio workout burns 333 calories in 20 minutes and I arbitrarily determined that this DVD is half as hard as my gym workout so I log it as 160. Nto very scientific, but that also puts it similar to what others are coming up with.

The big thing though is that there are big ranges as to how hard you can exert yourself.