Working Out

Options
I've been a member of Planet Fitness for about a year now.
I'm kind of curious as to what everyone else does as a work out.

For me,
1 hour of eliptical
1 hour of tredmill
30 minutes of either arms, abs, etc.

What routine has shown you the best results? :smile:

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ^^That's way too much if you do that all together.

When I went to planet fitness I typically did a 10 minute elliptical warmup and then a full body routine.
    Then cardio on off days.

Later I switched to an upper/lower split.

Weight training your body is going to have a much larger impact on your appearance than cardio.
  • JessElric
    JessElric Posts: 5
    Options
    Really? I never really thought that was too much. I usually go with my friend who is a health nut and I just follow her.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays and Thursdays I take a toning class. She starts with 15 minutes of aerobics and then we move into free weights. She mixes it up a good bit. Last night we did circuit training and that was a blast!
    Wednesdays I take a belly dance class and then Friday or Saturday I take a class that mixes both belly dancing with knife fighting.
    That's the scheduled stuff.
    Sometimes I'll go and take a step or yoga class at the gym and I like to hike. I like the variety most of all!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That is alot of exercise in 1 day. Anything over 1 hour 15 min is considered strenuous. How many days per week are you doing this?

I do 2 cardio classes and 2 lifting days at around and hour a pop most weeks.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    I do 30 minutes elliptical, 30-60 min treadmill, 20 minutes weight training, 10 minutes bike :) I try to switch it up every once in a while and do stairs instead of biking, or I'll do elliptical for 60 and bike for 60 minutes with no treadmill.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing. But yes, that seems like a lot. Eat more protein and pump some iron, you'll like the results.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your ultimate goal.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me, that seems like a lot. However, if you're getting results that please you, then good for you.

When I work out, I usually do 30 minutes on weights - alternating upper body one day, then lower body the next; then roughly 45 minutes of cardio: I normally do a combination of elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, stair machine, or stationary row machine.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also go to a 30/45 minute Spin class once or twice a week as well.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I typically do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio, anything after that is just excessive and a waste of time to me....unless your training to be a marathon runner or trying to break some kind of endurance record. I like my workouts to be efficient and effective, why spend 2+ hours at the gym doing cardio or whatever when you can be more effective in a shorter period of time. I also like to mix my cardio up as well. Not just steady state (treadmill and elliptical) but I like doing HIIT's (high intensity interval training) and calisthenics. It keeps the body guessing. Strength training like you mean it is also very important!!! The only exception to my 30 to 45 minute cardio rule is if I'm out for a walk or a hike...I love it so much that I don't put a time limit on it.
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (27 minutes) and on MOST days (4-6x/week) I also do a 60-minute water aerobics class called "Aqua Bootcamp." The mix of high impact and low impact works for me as I still have a lot to lose.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Crossfit around three times per week. I also hit the treadmill 2-3 times per week for around 30 minutes.