What are some great stretches for sore muscles?

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
I had my first personal training session Monday night, and I am sore!! I have another training session in a few hours, but I still can't even move.

One thing I noticed is that the trainer never had me stretch before or after the work-out. I don't know how to do these things! I've always been a cardio girl, and this was all strength!

So, what are some stretches I can do to work some of this tenseness out before I go tonight? I want to give my workout my all.

Replies

• morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is only an option if you can find the equipment, but using a foam roller (some gyms have them) has REALLY helped with my soreness. It hurts like crazy to roll over your sore muscles on these things, but afterwards you feel great.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Ask your trainer or bring up flexibility and soreness next time. You should stretch afterwards and depending on the time frame and program your trainer and you came up with stretching may have been left out. But you can stretch on your own. There are TONS of stretches you can do. Lookup static stretching, dynamic and/or multiplanar stretching.

But I usually take a warmth bath in epsom salt while in the bath I massage my sore muscles. Usually 10-15 of that and I'm feeling better. Better enough to function! :) But I'd ask my trainer for clarity!
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can substitute a foam roller for a couple of tennis balls in a sock as well
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and/or a hot bath will help more than stretching. I doubt stretching will have any effect at all. A lot of people don't stretch before a workout since the benefits are debatable - However it does sometimes help to do a little bit of light exercise in the meantime to alleviate soreness. Keep those muscles in use. DOMS world! DOMS world! Party time! Excellent!
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    That and ask your trainer to show you some stretches also, because without knowing which muscles it's hard to recommend stretches, but your trainer should be able to show you a good all around cool down. :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Stretch after the workout always.

At this point in time though... hydrate and get moving as this will help you more than anything. You need the hydration to flush away the lactic acid buildup in the muscles. Moving will get the blood flowing thru the extremities and again help flush away the lactic acid.

If that doesn't work... drink 26 ounces of liquid muscle relaxant by Johnny Walker and curl up into a fetal ball. :laugh: (kidding about the Johnny Walker of course...)
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    Ibuprofen and/or a hot bath will help more than stretching. I doubt stretching will have any effect at all. A lot of people don't stretch before a workout since the benefits are debatable - However it does sometimes help to do a little bit of light exercise in the meantime to alleviate soreness. Keep those muscles in use. DOMS world! DOMS world! Party time! Excellent!

I agree!! When I do a killer quad and glute workout a nice easy jog usually helps my muscles feel better.
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    It kinda depends on which muscles are sore and/or tight. Also, it's really not recommended to stretch cold muscles, so I usually stretch afterwards. At the very least, do a few jumping jacks or something to get your muscles warmed up.

You'll probably get better advice if you say which muscles/areas are sore.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of fat free chocolate milk afterwards and check out shanae727's advice on google.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of fat free chocolate milk afterwards

Why fat free?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Foam roller may hurt a little the first time you use it, but man it works so well.
  • AZChristy
    AZChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling. You can get them on amazon. I've seen homemade ones using foam pipe insulation too. Hurts so good.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Two things: take a hot shower AS SOON AS you get home. This ALWAYS helps me. Then, sit on the floor with your legs spread out into a triangle and stretch to the right for ten seconds, then the left and then the middle. First stretch out directly toward each leg straight with your stomach in and legs relaxed but as straight as you can get them safely. Then, the second round stretch over to the side leg sideways so your right arm is touching your right leg and your left arm is arched above your head. Watch your alignment and you should feel stretching in your arms legs back and sides for each side. The middle stretch is for you upper back and inner thighs. Make sure you lift up through your rib cage and watch your neck alignment when you do this. THEN stretch your legs straight out and try to touch your feet with your stomach tucked in. Lastly, do a childs pose and when you come up, sit up as straight as you can comfortably to stretch your quads and ankles, sitting on your feet under you. Be careful with this one, it takes time to fully sit on your feet and you may need a rolled up towel under your butt first. I am NEVER sore when I do these. I HATE standing stretches and DO NOT think they work. These do. I hope you can understand my directions!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

As far as what's sore... EVERYTHING. I didn't know I had muscles on the sides of my abdomen. Or big ones in my neck, or the top of my feet. It's all sore.
  • Momjogger
    Options

I am older so maybe it is more beneficial for me, but stretcing DOES help me. Especially when my legs are so sore they wake me up at night. The stretches I recommend help ALOT. Try them. :smile:
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always use the stretching station at the gym, which has about 15 stretches or so (that cover most of the body generally speaking) illustrated on the apparatus. I have been lifting weights for years and have never been as sore as you are now. Sorry to hear that you are hurting!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I am older so maybe it is more beneficial for me, but stretcing DOES help me. Especially when my legs are so sore they wake me up at night. The stretches I recommend help ALOT. Try them. :smile:

I stretch before n after hitting it hard n your descriptions were clear to me, stuff I use myself. I always feel much better when I stretch. And I can always tell if I rushed it...
  • Momjogger
    Options

I stretch before n after hitting it hard n your descriptions were clear to me, stuff I use myself. I always feel much better when I stretch. And I can always tell if I rushed it...

So glad to know I was clear. I wasn't sure. I also agree with you about the light movement to warm your muscles back up. I usually walk to loosen up. Good advice!