Discouraged while Running

Options
I use to run daily, and have planned a trip to Ireland around a half marathon next month. Without realizing it, I have traded my love for running to a love for hiking. I live in Vegas and yes, it's really hot. But I cant seem to run more than a few miles. Something is getting in my head and the little annoyances that come with running... Ie I'm hot, my knees hurt,my feet hurt, I'm thirsty...and I'm letting that get in my head and I just stop running and start walking. Ideas for fixing the thoughts???

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is all about finding something that you love to do. Or at least like to do. There's no reason to run if you don't enjoy it.

And, I would find it very hard to run 13.1 miles on vacation without training for it. A month isn't very long to get ready for that. I'm doing one September 1st and I started training about 6 weeks ago - most programs are 10-12 weeks long.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Switch to hiking then? If you find you like hiking more, find places to do it in. Even if it means in the gym on a treadmill at a 15% incline.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    me to. I did last night that it was terrible I am doing c25k. I was telling my self the same things. Its so hot, why did I do this, my legs hurt, how much longer do I have to run. So, I pause to look at my I pod, then try to run the last 10-50 sec. wherever it falls. So, I get discouraged too. I could use some motivation in it too. :)
  • jkeeling39
    jkeeling39 Posts: 30
    Options
    I imagine everyone goes through evolving preferences when it comes to exercise habits. What we love to do today may grow old and tired tomorrow.

Personally, I don't think there is any issue with you trading your running for hiking. In terms of calorie burn, hiking can provide a lot more bang for your buck. Staying active is what it's all about.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I use to run daily, and have planned a trip to Ireland around a half marathon next month. Without realizing it, I have traded my love for running to a love for hiking. I live in Vegas and yes, it's really hot. But I cant seem to run more than a few miles. Something is getting in my head and the little annoyances that come with running... Ie I'm hot, my knees hurt,my feet hurt, I'm thirsty...and I'm letting that get in my head and I just stop running and start walking. Ideas for fixing the thoughts???

Do you have some sort of music player? I don't run but I walk as fast as I can, and usually have really driving music going on. One time my phone/music player was dead and omg it was torture. Spent the whole time thinking how bored I was and wasn't I done yet.
  • smboston
    smboston Posts: 68
    Options
    I am stuck too. I had both a knee and a foot injury followed by bronchitis. 6 weeks later I'm trying to get back into the routine and after about 2 miles I'm done. I'm getting caught up in my own head (knee hurts, body aches, bored). I have found a running partner who is basically running at the same pace and distance as I am. We start together on Monday.

Maybe you can find someone to run with. It's helped me when I've done it in the past.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ireland has great walking/hiking paths, particularly across the scenic West coast, including The Burren.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Running...in Las Vegas...in the summer. Dang. That IS gonna make it tougher, it's true. Make sure you're well hydrated and well-fueled.

I don't know what your normal mileage and experience is like, running those distances in that heat. I'm going to assume that you have a decent running base already, and are just running into a bit of a mental wall right now. I'm a fairly new runner myself so take my advice with a grain of salt (or your favorite electrolyte supplement), but I'd suggest you pick a shorter distance than you would normally run. Commit to running it all, even if you have to run some parts at 2 miles an hour. Then tell your brain to shut the hell up, and go run it and get a success under your belt. SHOW your brain what your body can ACTUALLY do. Rinse, and repeat. That's how I have to approach it when I've got a bad case of the "ohhhh, I cannnnnnn't...."

Your (and my!) brain is a weenie. Your body has much greater capacity than your brain gives it credit for. Give it a chance to prove it!
  • Huckle97
    Huckle97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Running...in Las Vegas...in the summer. Dang. That IS gonna make it tougher, it's true. Make sure you're well hydrated and well-fueled.

I don't know what your normal mileage and experience is like, running those distances in that heat. I'm going to assume that you have a decent running base already, and are just running into a bit of a mental wall right now. I'm a fairly new runner myself so take my advice with a grain of salt (or your favorite electrolyte supplement), but I'd suggest you pick a shorter distance than you would normally run. Commit to running it all, even if you have to run some parts at 2 miles an hour. Then tell your brain to shut the hell up, and go run it and get a success under your belt. SHOW your brain what your body can ACTUALLY do. Rinse, and repeat. That's how I have to approach it when I've got a bad case of the "ohhhh, I cannnnnnn't...."

Your (and my!) brain is a weenie. Your body has much greater capacity than your brain gives it credit for. Give it a chance to prove it!

I don't mind switching to hiking, but I built an entire vacation around the run, that's its important to me that I don't walk within the race. I've never walked in a race before and I don't want to start now. Plus I forgot I have a 200mile relay race in November... The Ragnar relay. Anyway. I can do this. I definitely have a solid base for running, worked in technique, spent a lot of money on clothes and special shoes... I like you're idea of shortening the distances, I haven't run long distances in a at least a month if not 2... And I was just gonna go run 6miles like its nothing. So perhaps I'm setting myself up for failure. I gotta stop that! Thanks!!!
  • pamina1
    pamina1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love to run, but I agree do what you like. Join a run club and have it be a bit social. Having a running partner helps. Run a pole walk a telephone pole and make it longer every day when you start getting tired or frustrated. Take ice water. Read some running books to motivate yourself.
    I love to run and it excites me. Do some short races. Run early or late when it's cooler.
    Find another sport or stop making excuses and find solutions.
  • pamina1
    pamina1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    oh and run slower so you can go further. No harm in training to walk a pole to extend the distance and have a short term plan.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a list of people who cannot run... People I know with disabilities, soldiers who have disabilities, soldiers who have been killed, people who have overcome major obstacles in their lives...

I have a list of those who love and support me, who are there for me whether I succeed or fail...

I make a list before every long run and when I want to quit, I refer to the list and run the next mile for them. When I have pain, I think of the pain they go through on a daily basis. To me running is my time to think about and celebrate how easy my life is compared to many less fortunate.

It has gotten me through 2 half marathons and almost 800 training miles so far. I'll have a list of 53 people on me when I hit the starting line of my first marathon in October. I know I'll be ready and they will be there with me every step of the way, pushing me to go further!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Then tell your brain to shut the hell up, and go run it and get a success under your belt. SHOW your brain what your body can ACTUALLY do. Rinse, and repeat. That's how I have to approach it when I've got a bad case of the "ohhhh, I cannnnnnn't...."

THIS! There are some days I just don't wanna f'ing do it but I HAVE to tell myself to do it anyway. Just do it and keep doing it. People aren't kidding when they say it's mental!
  • Huckle97
    Huckle97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your encouraging words and suggestions. This morning i had the negativity in my head but I powered through. Today I did 3.6miles without stopping. I know I have a long way to go in a short time, but I feel very confident I can do it!!! You are all near and dear to my heart now!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    you're running a half marathon in IRELAND?????? really there's your motivation. maybe i mis read what you wrote but if you really are running a half in ireland that is AWESOME! ireland is GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS i tell you! i did a bike tour of ireland in 2000 and it was amazing!
  • thisisheatherr
    thisisheatherr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I read these two sites while I was recovering from foot surgery this spring and trying to psych myself up to start running once my doc cleared me. I've historically sort of hated all things cardio, by default, but I knew I had to find some sort of cardio I'd do and enjoy. I found them very helpful to change my attitude about running.

http://mamasweeds.com/how-to/how-to-love-running/
    http://news.menshealth.com/learn-to-love-running/2012/04/03/

Check them out and see if they help.

And when I get that "knees hurt, feet hurt, it's hot, where's the breeze, why the #%@! am I doing this again?" feeling (I get it about 1-2x per week) I either speed up for a minute or so to burn the thinking out of my brain, or slow down to a walk for about 30-60 secs and focus on something positive in my environment. Either one really helps me!

Have fun in Ireland, whether you're running or hiking :-)
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I agree there is nothing wrong with changing over to hiking.

However if you really want to get back to running: music playlist, jogging partner, get a dog or two.