Wii Questions

Ok, so I am planning on getting a Wii for after Christmas. I really want to incorporate workouts to my daily routine but unfortunately monthly fees at the gym is out the question since it tends to be a little expensive. Especially since I want my family to workout as well. Another dilema I have is that I live in an Apartment building with only 2 bedrooms so exercise equiptment would take up too much room.

Is the Wii worth it?

Can you recommend Wii games that work you out?

Thanks in advance:flowerforyou:

Replies

• linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    I think it's worth it but you may want to invest in something like Jillian for Wii or the Active Life ones... Wii Fit (and Plus) are ok but don't really work up much of a sweat.

Good luck! :)
  • I have been using my Wii to workout for the past 1-2 months, since my elliptical broke and is unusable. I have tried 3 games, here are my experiences:
    *Wii Fit Plus: This is fun, but takes a long time to burn a high amount of calories. I used to burn 300 in 30 minutes on my Elliptical. It seems to be a more low impact type of exercise, although there are some good cardio options. A free run is available where you run in place. Many people love this program.
    *EA Active: This has been my favorite so far. You work with a personal trainer you can select. The trainer and the music can become a little frustrating, but the work out is good. The 30 day challenge is available in 3 modes: easy, moderate, and intense. I selected the intestine mode. It incorporates both upper and lower body worksouts, in rep sets, as well as cardio, in about a 30 minutes. Some days are harder than others. It is set up for 2 on, 1 off work out day, but if you can't do that then it adjusts to you. This is more workout oriented as if you were in the gym with an actual trainer. This also provides amount of calories burned, and allows you to create your own workout. This workout also follows your movements with the Wii remote and nun-chuck fairly well.
    *Biggest Loser: This was a great workout. One thing I didn't like as well as EA Active, you only do the exercise for a set amount of time then move onto the next instead of competing reps. I didn't seem to get credit for working out harder. The calories burned seemed to be way off, but I do not have an HR monitor, so maybe I am way off. Offers a great full body workout, as well as target zones. You can select different intensities and areas to workout, which is helpful. You can build your own workout based on what areas you want to target and the exercises that are enjoyable to you.

I have continued to lose weight using this as my exercise portion of mfp. My advice is it is worth it, and it is very nice that it doesn't take up a lot of room. I have a small home as well. It is just like any other type of exercise, you just have to stick to it.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I would recommend "My Fitness Coach". I agree that wii fit plus is fun for whole family, but isn't really a good cardio workout. My Fitness coach allows each user to have a customizable account that does a fitness test to study your abilties and then customizes each workout based on your goals. It makes it so you don't get tired of the same old thing. You can also log in external workouts, track your weight, and track your progress in strength and cardio performance. The program allows you to use a HRM, fitness ball, free weights or step. However, they are not required and the workouts are still great with our without them. If you do not have a HRM it will give your number of calories burned at the end of your workout that is based on your fitness level. I would recommend getting a set up free weights (1-5lbs) for the workouts.

The program is simple enough that my 3 year old can follow along and do the workouts but complex enough that I can get my HR up to levels that I do when running.

Hope this helps.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I can't answer this quite yet (You can PM me after Christmas for a review though), but I am getting My Fitness Coach for the Wii for Christmas and I am very excited about it. I've read great reviews and it was cheap, only 20 bucks on amazon.

I didn't like the wii fit so much because while it was fun, it didn't do much for me calories wise. I was looking into the wii active but I heard it's more for toning rather than cardio, and that's when I heard about my fitness coach.

Personally though, I wouldn't buy a wii just to work out if I didn't already have one. We hardly ever play it, its basically a very expensive dust collector (thank God we got it as a gift). I am excited about my fitness coach, but I really just got that for days that I can't stand to drag myself to the gym.
  • timmijop
    timmijop Posts: 86 Member
    I love my Wii and Wii Fit and Fit Plus, if you have wireless internet at home you can connect with your wii and make MFP one of your favorite sites so after a work out you can log it in right then and there. I agree some of the things can be a litte tedious and annoying but I have a 10 month old and she just loves to watch my Mii while I work out which is a gift all in itself!!!!!!
  • Thanks all for the great advice. I look forward to getting the Wii and working out with it. I think in my case it will be a great investment just because I can get in family time, especially in the winter and it will motivate me to workout. I usually play the Wii when i go to my sis in laws house because at home we only have the PS3 and Xbox 360 so they are usually used by hubby and sons. Not really my kind of systems....lol

I will be looking into the games you guys mentioned. I will keep you posted as to my likes and dislikes.:tongue:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    <I think it's worth it but you may want to invest in something like Jillian for Wii or the Active Life ones... Wii Fit (and Plus) are ok but don't really work up much of a sweat. >

I beg to differ with you somewhat. First, a little about me, I exercise approximately 6 to 7 days/week, usually 3 of cardio, 2 of weight training, and one of yoga. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I'm in fairly good shape. My RHR is in the upper 50's.

I have a Wii, and honestly, I use it mainly when I can't get to the gym due to time constraints, weather, etc. I'm not crazy about the weight segment. They will work one part of the body, but not the opposing muscle (like they work triceps but not biceps). I don't feel I get a good workout with the step (now this is individual). It just isn't challenging for me.

However, I do like the yoga.

Yesterday hubby walked past me in my exercise room and asked "why are you exercising topless". I just answered "because I'm hot". I was doing the hula hoop

I do like to take the body test (is that what it's called, it's where it masures your weight, etc). I do think it relies too much on BMI, which can be inaccurate. Like in my case, it will say that I'm overweight. Last time I had my bf tested, I was around 22%.

All in all, I don't think I would use it exclusively. But it is nice for an addition to your workout.

Oh, I have the Personal Fitness Coach and think that's pretty good.

From what I've ready on epinions etc. EA Active wasn't given high marks at all. That's why I didn't get that one but instead got the Personal Fitness Coach.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    glad I saw this post! Our family is getting a Wii for Christmas, and I'm VERY Excited about it! I did pop on to the Wii post (the people that are already working out to it) and ask them what would be worth getting - thanks guys- you were very helpful! I plan on getting the Biggest Loser "game" so I can do that with my husband- he's VERY supportive of this- can't wait!