Money, money, money, money... MONEY

Options
sarahp86
sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
So I had a complete nightmare today. I went to see a show with my mam, I bought her the tickets for her birthday months ago, had to save for ages.
We had to get the bus in because I had no tax on my car. Can't afford it right now so I'm cycling everywhere. She tried to give me money but I know her and dad are struggling too. We ended up having a massive argument over that.

We've cancelled our gym membership, phone bill, cut our food bill completely, we don't really go out much anymore. What else do you guys do to save cash because I am literally living on pennies. I stupidly took out a load of little loans when I was younger, which add up, so the majority of my wages goes to them (I know I'm lucky to have a job).

We're paying rent and the mortgage on my bf's house because we can't get anyone to rent that (it's 120 miles away so we can't live there)

Also we're going to Thailand for Xmas whether we like it or not because his mam is loaded and is buying us tickets so we've to save for accommodation and spending money too.

I know I'm lucky for everything I have but I got our electricity bill today and freaked out! Anyone have any other saving tips please??

Fingers crossed for a lotto win!!!

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into getting your loans consolodated so you only have 1 payment? Hopefully lower intrest also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_consolidation

I went this route when I was younger and racked up some credit debt. Cut my intrest rates and monthly payments in 1/2 and the were able to talk the banks down about 30% on the amount owed. This was back in 2004 though. I did reccomend this to one of my soldiers back in 2010 and it worked out good for him also.
  • sarahp86
    Options
    Thanks I'll look into that :)My loans will be paid off by June 2014 but I'm paying back over €1200 a month
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Look at this site http://www.simplesavings.com.au - based in Australia but has members from all over the world - you can get free newsletters and look at some stuff for free. People often comment that this site has changed their lives. A great site - has hints, ideas, ways of re-thinking your whole life. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    First, i would ask where you live at? i save money by growing a HUGE garden, raising some chickens, hogs, and cattle. I also hunt and save money by butchering an canning myself. its a lot of work, but it saves a ton of money.'

Buy in bulk, make a shopping list and stick to it. Eat before you shop, that way you're not impulse buying.
    Try farmers markets, get rid of that high dollar cell phone, if you have internet, there's really no reason to have cable or Dish.

Otherwise, look into debt consolidation or relief. Pay off the smallest bills first.
  • reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    Is a second part-time job out of the question for you or your bf? That's what I had to do... I pinched from so many places I was skipping one bill to pay another, and then reversing that the next month... The only thing that saved me was my second job.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Where's the house located? Have you asked prospects why they choose not to rent? Also have you talked to your bank or lenders?
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Options
    First, i would ask where you live at? i save money by growing a HUGE garden, raising some chickens, hogs, and cattle. I also hunt and save money by butchering an canning myself. its a lot of work, but it saves a ton of money.'

Buy in bulk, make a shopping list and stick to it. Eat before you shop, that way you're not impulse buying.
    Try farmers markets, get rid of that high dollar cell phone, if you have internet, there's really no reason to have cable or Dish.

Otherwise, look into debt consolidation or relief. Pay off the smallest bills first.

She said she uses euros so hunting/livestock are most likley out of the question. Also I don't think europeans buy in bulk. They don't have giant kitchens and fridges like us Americans. Don't think I ever even saw a wally world when I lived in Germany.
  • sarahp86
    Options
    Is a second part-time job out of the question for you or your bf? That's what I had to do... I pinched from so many places I was skipping one bill to pay another, and then reversing that the next month... The only thing that saved me was my second job.

I'm in a state job in Ireland. I work shifts and we're not really allowed have a second job plus I have no skills whatsoever.
  • sarahp86
    Options

She said she uses euros so hunting/livestock are most likley out of the question. Also I don't think europeans buy in bulk. They don't have giant kitchens and fridges like us Americans. Don't think I ever even saw a wally world when I lived in Germany.

I live in a housing estate in Dublin, Ireland. Unfortunately chickens are out of the question. Food is very expensive in most supermarkets so I always search for deals or cheaper foods. I've used pretty much everything in. Y freezer and try my best not to spend. I've never had a credit card. I just wish I could travel back in time and slap the younger me hard and tell her to cop on
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Make heavy use of ramen noodles and goodwill. If you have a washer or dryer, sell it--you can do that stuff yourself. If you have kids, put them to work...sorry, I don't really have any great solutions, just personal experience growing up without much.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do you have any skills you can sell? You'd be surprised the services you can offer for cash. :) Can you sew, fix things, cook decent meals, set up wifi in a home, or fix computers or any mundane tasks? There are a ton of things that some people can do really well that others can't and would be willing to spend money on. When I was in college I charged people to help set their computers up and get a wifi connection going. And I'm not even 'that' computer literate! Some people just cannot figure out how to get their wifi password protected, and they're willing to spend 15 bucks to get someone else to do it for them.
  • sarahp86
    Options
    Make heavy use of ramen noodles and goodwill. If you have a washer or dryer, sell it--you can do that stuff yourself. If you have kids, put them to work...sorry, I don't really have any great solutions, just personal experience growing up without much.

No kids, can't afford them or the fertility treatment and the dryer isn't ours to sell. We've sold anything of value. Xbox, wii, clothes, DVDs etc. but everyone is in the same boat and some people can't afford to feed themselves so I know I'm lucky that sense.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have a savings bond that comes directly off my paycheck. It's great because I don't miss the money since I never had it and I forget about it often.
  • sarahp86
    Options
    Do you have any skills you can sell? You'd be surprised the services you can offer for cash. :) Can you sew, fix things, cook decent meals, set up wifi in a home, or fix computers or any mundane tasks? There are a ton of things that some people can do really well that others can't and would be willing to spend money on. When I was in college I charged people to help set their computers up and get a wifi connection going. And I'm not even 'that' computer literate! Some people just cannot figure out how to get their wifi password protected, and they're willing to spend 15 bucks to get someone else to do it for them.

Absolutely no skills whatsoever
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ummm., check out Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University. His methods will help you get out of this!
  • bennieangel
    Options
    I know people who have had success with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover - check it out from the library, it's a no nonsense way to get out of your situation...but it will take a lot of hard work. Good luck!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Absolutely no skills whatsoever
    There are plenty of jobs that don't require skills, otherwise I'd be out of a job, lol. I know you're probably sick of the "get another job" response seeing as you've gotten it a lot, just saying...
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Options
    I don't think allot of yall realize that Ireland is going thru a major financial crisis with 14.8% unemployment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–2012_Irish_financial_crisis

Allot of people are hurting over there.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What about babysitting at weekends/evenings?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

We're paying rent and the mortgage on my bf's house because we can't get anyone to rent that (it's 120 miles away so we can't live there)

Also we're going to Thailand for Xmas whether we like it or not because his mam is loaded and is buying us tickets so we've to save for accommodation and spending money too.

I would try to rent it out at a lower rate eg 50-75% of standard rate (any money is better than no money; it will help service the debt) but short term let for, say, 3-6 months - which means if things pick up, you can renew the contract at a better market rate. If the tenant is saving money, they're less likely to benefit from a short let ie bail leaving you without a tenant because they've found a cheaper place!

As for the holiday, I wouldn't go. It sounds like you cannot afford accommodation or the spending money, or at least could put that to good use elsewhere. I don't consider it a saving if I have to end up spending extra money that I can't afford. Ultimately, even if the tickets cost £2000 and the accommodation only £500, you're still spending £500.