Can't think of any reasons to be motivated

Options
I feel like I'm on a tightrope at the moment when it comes to motivation and exercising. When I start it I'm fine, but it's actually getting up and beginning that's the problem. I used to have no problems being motivated and going to the gym when I was a teenager, but now for some reason I just can't think of anything!

I'm just worried I'm going to get complacent and slip back into lazy mode. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Lenindaire
    Lenindaire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you are not alone. i work at at gym and am usually not motivated to stay that extra 30 min or to work out over lunch.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Keep a photo of yourself on the fridge of the way you used to look when you did not exercise. When you don't feel like going, go take a look at the photo!

Also, remember "You'll never regret a workout but you'll always regret not getting it done" :)
  • a1phabeth
    a1phabeth Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I want to work out, I want to be stronger, I want to be fit, but I just can't seem to get out the door or grab that dvd. It always seems like there is something else on my to-do list to get done first. I would clean the whole house before I would put on my sneakers for a walk.

I've tried asking friends to hold me accountable or to join me in a workout but no one can ever meet my idea of a motivator. And I definitely can't afford a gym or personal trainer to help my situation. If only I had my own personal trainer to tell me 'now we're going on a walk LET'S GO' ... or that my inner personal trainer were as strong!
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    I agree, it is really hard to find the motivation to exercise! I frequently struggle with it and have to really push myself hard and feel better and glad when I've done it! I often think thats its the type of world we live in that makes it more difficult, so much else goiing on...... When I do struggle, I try to say to myself that once I miss one day of exercise, it'll be the start of a slippery slope. In other words, not bothering altogether. Good luck anyway, we all need it, :smile:
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    I think everyone struggles with this at some point. A strategy that I find works for me is actually the Nike caption - JUST DO IT. As soon as I get home on workout days, I head STRAIGHT for my sneakers and workout clothes. I don't give myself the time to think, "well, maybe I can do this first..." or "I'll just sit for a bit and then work out." Because it's not a part of my thought process, I find myself dressed to work out and then have to do it.

Also, check out GymPact if you have an iPhone:

"People who use GymPact make 90% of the workouts they commit to. Earn real money for making your workouts — paid for by those who missed theirs! With cash on the line, you'll find it easier than ever to get to the gym and see real results."

It's a powerful app!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The toughest part of exercise is putting on the shoes and going out the door. Once you are done, you are proud that you got out there and just did it. I don't know what to suggest except remember that feeling of accomplishment, of being proud of yourself, of doing something for yourself and all the benefits that go along with exercise. You keep at it and make it a priority and then it becomes part of your everyday. It helps if you have a buddy to go with. Misery loves company!! :happy:
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Gosh u have lost 52 pounds and what an accomplishment so why would you chose not to stay motivated and continue? Don't give yourself a choice! Put on your workout clothes and get to it. You are important to you and those around you whom you have inspired. Wish u well :). Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • a1phabeth
    a1phabeth Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm definitely going to check out that GymPact app. I guess being desperate for money can help in this situation!

May I also add that if you are seriously, seriously lacking motivation and would rather stay in bed than workout or do anything - see your doctor or a therapist. There could be an underlying chemical imbalance or mental health concern that is preventing you from getting in that mindset. I did this and it turns out I have depression as a result from my Adjustment Disorder. Any switch in my schedule was making me more anxious and unable to complete even small tasks.
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    Just do it. You don't really need motivation. Just DO IT.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on motivation. I don't want to be the lazy old me but sometimes it can be hard to make your body move. Maybe try changing your workout. You could simply be bored with it which absolutely kills motivation. Try adding sometthing different and see if that helps.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Every day!! Set a goal for yourself and stick to it. Find a buddy to share it with to keep you on track. There are a lot of good people on this site that can help if you can't find anyone at home.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who won't work out on his own, but if I give him a workout routine to do he does it. Try getting one of your MFP buddies to give you a task for the day - you'll know exactly what you have to do, and there's someone to be accountable to =)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to check out that GymPact app. I guess being desperate for money can help in this situation!

May I also add that if you are seriously, seriously lacking motivation and would rather stay in bed than workout or do anything - see your doctor or a therapist. There could be an underlying chemical imbalance or mental health concern that is preventing you from getting in that mindset. I did this and it turns out I have depression as a result from my Adjustment Disorder. Any switch in my schedule was making me more anxious and unable to complete even small tasks.

THIS. If it isn't just motivation to exercise but motivation in general it could definitely be this. Worth checking out anyway.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just kind of look at it like a job now. It's something that I have to do.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how much people motivate you (unless they can come there and physically make you do it) here it's words and they help but they aren't the true motivation. In order to really want to work out you have to be wanting it bad enough to go get it, once you have that spark of fire in you, then the motivation from this website become that fuel you need to help you burn.

You have to think about why you want it, and that will be your motivation. A lot of good suggestions in this thread, from seeing a reflection of yourself that you are trying to get rid off, to thinking about the health benefits.

You made this most, make a note on your phone or on something you see more regularly to be your reminder.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    me too. i feel the same way. i've never been motivated to workout etc. i'm generally a lazy person (not a good thing and not proud of it) and i find ways to do as little as possible. of course this attitude also spills into the working out/eating right part of my life.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A lot of great info here, good to read what other people feel about it too.

I've decided to stick my trainers at my front door, so when I come in from work I can't avoid them. Also, I just bought a bunch of new albums and stuck them on my iPod - and decided to make running my personal time to listen to them. That way I don't really need motivation, because I'm just making running something that I do each day.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of great info here, good to read what other people feel about it too.

I've decided to stick my trainers at my front door, so when I come in from work I can't avoid them. Also, I just bought a bunch of new albums and stuck them on my iPod - and decided to make running my personal time to listen to them. That way I don't really need motivation, because I'm just making running something that I do each day.

That's the spirit :)

Stick to it and before you know it it just becomes something you do as part of your day.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you have iTunes, check out the podcast, "Fat 2 Fit Radio." They're all free to download from season 2 on. This podcast revolutionized how I think about diet, lifestyle and exercise. I follow their philosophy and, almost 7 months in I cannot see myself ever not living the rest of my life this way. I have all the motivation I need! Seriously...listen if you can!

To keep the "I'm so excited about this" motivation up and running on a daily basis, I find that if I make sure I always have short term goals that I am excited about, I stay motivated. If I get bored of the goals, I find another one that excites me. I've noticed in all my past attempts that the second I lost sight of my short term goals, or once they lost their luster, I stopped trying and fell off the 'wagon'. Now, I'm setting up goals constantly, and making sure they are attainable and in line with my long term goal of being a healthy weight and active person. In addition, because I kept the goals smaller, I can look back and see a lot of goals I have set for myself and reached! It feels amazing!

The key here, and I cannot stress this enough, is to make sure that whatever goal(s) you set up, you are personally excited about it. Right now, I'm taking a kickboxing class that I am SO EXCITED about, cause it's pretty intense and it is helping me build muscle! Before that, it was running, and seeing if I could beat my time for running a mile. But if they ever lose their excitement, I will immediatly begin searching for something else that gets my blood flowing!

Set up short term goals! Good luck!! :OD
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks Linbo, I'll check that podcast out!

vtmoon - I won't leave myself any choice :D