busy family and too much fast food

Options
I have 2 children, both involved in activities that seem to always meet around dinner time. I find that we eat fast food a few times a week just so that we can get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Has anyone else struggled with this issue and found a healthy and realistic solution? We are on the go between 4:00 and 6:00 about 3 nights a week.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating a big breakfast (yeah, I know it's hard dragging them out of bed) and giving them a good lunch? Then give them a boxed snack in the car (carrots, sandwich, whatever) and eat at 7:30 when you're home? There's a zillion good healthy dinners you can toss together in 20 minutes.

You can pack the snack when you pack lunch. My mom used to pack everything either the night before or all our sandwiches on Sunday and toss them in the freezer.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Can you make meals in advance, like on a Sunday, that you can put in the fridge or freezer that you can just grab and heat up quickly or eat as is? It also doesn't have to be a huge meal. Veggies, fruit, crackers, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and tuna salad are all fine choices. You could heat up some soup or chili and put it in a thermos for them when you pick them up. Or, bring them some sandwiches!

You could also choose healthier fast food places, like Subway or something local to you.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks in the car and I use the crockpot a lot. The hubs works at night so it's just me in two places at once. I get them a snack so they aren't starving and when we get home, dinner is ready to eat. I also make things ahead that can be heated up quickly.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree with giving them (and yourself) a healthy after school snack and then eat dinner after the activities are over. Utilize your crockpot on the super busy nights and have simple meals on the not so busy nights. Just because you are out and about at a "normal" dinnertime doesn't mean that you have to eat crap.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks in the car and I use the crockpot a lot. The hubs works at night so it's just me in two places at once. I get them a snack so they aren't starving and when we get home, dinner is ready to eat. I also make things ahead that can be heated up quickly.

I second the crockpot. Even just cooking a bunch of chicken for the week ahead of time really helps, you can just throw it in quick dishes.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also have 2 very busy children with many activities, a husband that is involved in coaching Recreational ball and I work full time outside of the home with a coaching job as well. Some nights we go until 9:00 or 9:30. What works for me is to fix a big meal on a night when I have time and then have left overs the next night when I don't have time. I also occasionally use my crockpot for a meal that is ready when we walk in the door. There are still occasions when we must go through a drive through. I just try to make it as healthy as possible.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There are some better choices at fast food restaurants. I like to get a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. Most places will let you substitute a side salad for the fries in a combo. They don't seem to advertise this option, though. I either have unsweetened iced tea or water. My meals are usually well within the suggested calorie range. It works for me and is still convenient. The rest of my diet is very healthy so I feel that I can do this once in a while. And it helps me to see the overweight people eating their super sized meals. Just the motivation I need.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1. Pick up a rotisserie cooked chicken for immediate protein and a healthy alternative.
    2. Prepare and pack food the night before to take with you.
    3. Make extras at dinner so you have leftovers.
    4. Always keep nuts and a piece of fruit on hand.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes you buy healthy food and snack bags and you spend the time to package stuff up . Buy a cooler with ice packs. No reason to eat unhealthy. I take my lunch kit everywhere with me.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    There are some better choices at fast food restaurants. I like to get a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. Most places will let you substitute a side salad for the fries in a combo. They don't seem to advertise this option, though. I either have unsweetened iced tea or water. My meals are usually well within the suggested calorie range. It works for me and is still convenient. The rest of my diet is very healthy so I feel can do this once in a while. And it helps me to see the overweight people eating their super sized meals. Just the motivation I need.

I 2nd everything he said. I down 104 lbs in less then a year and I never gave up fast food. I just make better choices while there. I still super size, but a good chunk of the time some of the fries goto my boys.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    One word. Crock pot. :) I am home almost every night around or after 6. We NEVER eat out on weekdays.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    With 4 very active sons and a very active hubby, during ball season we are out of the house at supper time probably 5-6 nights a week. However, we never eat fast food. I utilize my crock pot most of those nights or fix my meals earlier in the day so that all I have to do when I get home is pop dinner in the oven. Dinner is ready about the time everyone finishes with their baths/showers. If you work outside the home and can't prepare a meal early in the day, try planning and preparing the bulk of your meals over the weekend and freeze them for later in the week or just plan a few night's worth of crock pot meals. Make enough for two nights so that you can eat leftovers.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have 4 Kids and all do at least 2 out of school activities so things can be busy busy, but too busy to cook a meal? Never. In the time it takes to cook rice you can make a decent curry. We never resort to takeaway as "quick" meal.

What they said. Crockpot/Slow Cooker. Big advantage is that the meals are usually cheap too.

Cooking Day on Sunday, cook in advance some meals for those busy nights. Individual containers.

SOUP

Prep. When you do your shopping for the week, cut up your chicken before putting it away etc. This can save some time.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    When my husband and i ran our own business we had the same problem and i have the extra pounds to prove it!! The best way to avoid this is to prepare food in advance. Those nights might need to be what we call quick fix night. Theres plenty of options like pitas stuffed with sliced chicken and veggies, wraps with low sodium turkey and reduced fat cheese or homemade soup in a thermos. Keep a container of pre cut fruit or pasta salad in the frig to go along as a side. Like someone else mentioned you could do healthy snacks and then do dinner when you get home. A slowcooker or crockpot is great for throwing together an easy meal in the morning that will be ready when you get home.
  • kgtnteacher
    Options
    Thank you for the great ideas, everyone! I especially appreciated the validation that its ok to eat fast food sometimes if we focus on the healthier options! By the way, I am brand new to mfp and am so happy to be here.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Eat later? That's probably what I would do. Make meals in the morning or something, or on the weekend and just heat them up when you get home while kids get ready for dinner and whatnot.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Single father with 4 boys ages 8, 10, 12, 14. We can easily leave the house at 9 am and not get home until 10 pm. I pack plenty of healthy snacks, but when we are on the go, sometimes there aren't many options other than fast food. BUT...there are healthy options at fast food places. There are grilled chicken breast sandwiches, salads (read the nutrition value of the dressing), etc. I love Subway, but there are some very unhealthy options there just as McDonalds. Take an hour of your free time and go to the website of every fast food place you can think of. Look at their nutrition value charts. That way you already know what healthy alternatives there are. For example, at Wendys, go for the baked potato instead of the french fries.

Checkout this website.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/top_swaps/restaurants