To delete or not to delete?

Options
When I started MFP last year, I was logging in daily, giving support, logging my food, etc. etc. Then I stopped! I was gone for more than six months! When I finally got back on board, I couldn't recall my log-in info, so I created a new membership! I couldn't get a friend to request or accept me for crap. :angry:

Luckily, I found the info I needed for my original membership, so I deleted the second one and here I am. I notice that quite a few friends dropped me! Who would blame them after not being around for six months. Anyway, I'm babbling, :laugh:

I just deleted a couple of friends that hasn't logged in for more than four months, so I'm wondering how long do you wait before deleting someone from your list of friends?

Replies

• dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would say 4 months is a good time to delete. Like that whole cleaning house thing... if you haven't used if for 6 months, you probably won't. My vote is delete! :) If they want you back then they can friend you. And you need friends that follow you and support you.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think I waited until like 7 months. I don't have a magic number, but I periodically check my friends list and update it.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I delete in 1-2 weeks unless I know that person is on vacation or something. I also delete people that I don't interact with.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would think, if they aren't active and it happens frequently, like every month they aren't logging in for a week or so and they aren't active elsewhere, pitch them!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Usually 3-4 months.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I delete in 1-2 weeks unless I know that person is on vacation or something. I also delete people that I don't interact with.
    I do this also! :tongue:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If they're just inactive, I usually give 'em at least 90 days. Over that, I figure they're probably not coming back or won't remember me if they do! LOL I will delete them in a heartbeat if I think they have an ulterior motive for being on MFP, like they are just trying to hook up or sell something. They have every right to do that, but it's not my thing...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to delete for lack of posting - what harm is it doing? They may be having a break, or like yourself, be away for a while and then come back.

I only delete friends who I think have an unhealthy approach to weight loss.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    About a month ... if they have not logged for a month chances are they won't again except in the rare cases.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    this!
    Usually 3-4 months.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I delete people who have deactivated or who don't interact at all with me.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Unless they told us why they would be away, OR I've had a lot of good interaction with them in the past, I would delete after a month.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Three or four months seems reasonable. I'm more likely to delete someone who doesn't interact with me - I don't need lots of support but it becomes a bit annoying when I'm making positive comments about their successes and mine are met with silence from them!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1-2 months.

I don't delete those who don't interact a ton because I know how that can be. Some days I have just enough time to log and that is IT! Some people also just don't like to comment much. Not a huge deal.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I delete about 4-6 weeks. If they do not interact at all, if the are unhealthy and wont face it. I have an ed and dont need to be triggered.
  • swampymoo
    swampymoo Posts: 14
    Options
    Interacting: I dont comment much because I dont want to be too pushy especially when you are relatively new to a site.

Not Logging In: I havent logged in for a few months simply because I had too much going on in my life but I was pleased to see I was still with the people that had friended me.

At the end of the day it is cyberspace and I come to this site for a variety of reasons but knowing that I am not the only one struggling and working on my fitness and weight loss is one of them.

Each to their own.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    I don't and i wouldn't delete because someone wasn't logging in. One day they might come back and i'll be there supporting them if they do...and i have tons of support from my more active friends so it's no skin off my nose if a few of them aren't logging in daily.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Three or four months seems reasonable. I'm more likely to delete someone who doesn't interact with me - I don't need lots of support but it becomes a bit annoying when I'm making positive comments about their successes and mine are met with silence from them!

This works for me as well
  • hwold454
    hwold454 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't delete, but then again, all five of my friends are active.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    About a week, I suppose.