Broke

Options

Replies

• bex_89
    bex_89 Posts: 23
    Options
    I normally like to make Baked Chicken, black beans and rice when I get broke. May not be the best meal ever but its great for a broke college student like me
  • ironicusername
    Options
    What I do is I make meals with not a lot of ingredients and I'll eat the leftovers through the week. Casseroles are a must for the poor, I grew up on them. Here are some things I'll make:

Macaroni and Cauliflower Bake:

Box of whole grain macaroni
    about 3 cups grated sharp cheddar
    steamed head of cauliflower, or bag of frozen (cooked), cut into small pieces (the finer it is, the less you'll notice it in the cheese)
    a cup of trim cottage cheese
    half a cup or so of sour cream

Cook macaroni until al dente, drain and put into large casserole dish. Dump in other ingredients, mix well. Top with breadcrumbs if desired. Bake at 350 until desired browness on top. Great recipe that you can tinker with to use whatever you might have on hand. So cheap, too! That's dinner for a week for me.

Cheese and Veggie Stuffed Chicken

Boneless skinless breasts, pounded somewhat flat and halved
    cheese of choice (I like feta)
    cooked veggies of choice
    seasonings of choice
    Pam

Just put your fillings on one half of your breast piece and fold over, securing with a toothpick. Spray with pam and season. Place halves in shallow baking dish and bake at 350 for about 30 min. Increase to 500 for an additional 5 or 10 until a light golden brown. Great with a side of brown rice or beans.

Chicken Breast Fajitas

Chicken Breasts cut into strips
    different colored bell peppers cut into strips
    onion, sliced
    lower cal tortillas
    fajita seasoning packet

Just cook according to directions on packet!

Also:

turkey meatloaf (just use ground turkey instead of beef), tons of recipes online.

Tuna noodle casserole (use whole grain pasta and lower cal ingredients), tons of recipes online.

Turkey burgers, turkey tacos... anything using ground beef, use ground turkey instead. It's pretty cheap.

Even grilled cheese can be less fattening, use 45 calorie bread, laughing cow cheese or reduced fat american slices and PAM or "Butter" spray instead of butter or margarine. I do this and it's pretty good.

Baked potatoes with "butter" spray and McCormick's Salad Supreme seasoning (the only calories are in the potato).

My breakfast is almost always half a cup of greek yogurt and about a cup of some kind of Cheerios. They go a long way. I buy the large containers of yogurt, it lasts me 6 breakfasts.The cheerios will last a couple weeks or so.

I also pop my own popcorn on the stove. It's a great snack, super cheap and filling. Bulk popping corn is sooo cheap. I use canola oil to pop it. Pair it with apple slices and it's delish!

I fully support my mom and I work on commission, so it can get really really tight. Honestly, if it weren't for her $200 in foodstamps every month there would be no way we'd make ends meet some months. Rent, utilities, mom's meds, mom's doctor bills, transportation... oh boy how I know it adds up!

Anyway, good luck!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Suggest next time payday comes round, stocking up on plenty of canned beans, tuna, eggs, frozen veggies, yoghurt, baking potatoes and some rice. Beans can go a really long way, you can make big stews with stock, beans and some veggies.

Limit your tuna as it has mercury. Purchase chicken breasts (no skin) at Walmart for $1.97 a pound. The package is usually around $10.00 and has about 10 pieces. Each piece is about 6-8 ounces. I open the packange and re-wrap each piece into individual sandwich bags. Then all into a large gallon size freezer bag then put in the freezer. You can take one out and cook it when ever you like. Also, Walmart has salman pouches for $.98 a pouch. Salmon is not on the mercury list.

Yup about the tuna, but bear in mind the chicken, unless rather expensive organic, has usually been crammed into a cage heaving with other chickens, some diseased, and stuffed with grain and god knows what else ;)
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A recipe I found on MFP that lasted us several meals (again, family of 4 so for 1 it would last a really long time) is salsa chicken.

Salsa (I chose a lower sodium one with lots of garlic since I love it so much)
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts (First time I made it, I only used 4 breasts but the second time I made 8-9 with the same amount of salsa)
    Seasoning of your choice

Season the chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot. (If you don't have a crock pot, I suppose a deep baking dish with foil would work too).

Pour the salsa over it and slow cook for about 5-6 hours.

An hour or so before you're ready to serve the chicken, take two forks and shred the chicken up. Let heat another 30-60 minutes and serve with whatever side dishes you like. I served it on some fancy tortillas (that were really quite tasty) the night we had them but for leftovers at lunch during the week I weighed out 4 ounces of chicken into a bowl and added sour cream after heating. Ate it just like that and it was super filling. I froze the rest in a freezer bag for another night/day.

Easy and inexpensive.
  • ironicusername
    Options
    Oh! I also forgot pita pizzas! I get whole grain pitas, a jar of pizza or pasta sauce, bag of low fat mozzarella, turkey pepperoni or chicken breast that I cook and sliced veggies. I'll bake them or just throw them in the micro if I'm too lazy. You can also stuff half a pita pocket with the toppings for a pizza hot pocket type thing. =]

Stir fry is also good. You can buy the frozen stir fry mixes, even.
  • ironicusername
    Options
    AND SOUPS! Lol... I'm on a roll. I'll make a big pot of soup with loads of veggies like cabbage, squash, carrots, celery, onion... I'll often use chicken bouillon (a big thing of it is super cheap), if I don't have stock around. And I'll add spices like cumin and rosemary. I'll either keep it just veggies or I'll add a package of cooked chicken meatballs or sausage, cut into pieces. You can also add cooked brown rice or potatoes.

Also: chilli! Beans and ground turkey. You can also add veggies like I do, I use carrots for sweetness.
  • DollShannon
    Options
    Check out this site:

www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com

She gives SO MANY helpful lessons on how to make your own anything!
    AND she breaks everything down per recipe/per serving.

She's awesome and has helped me stay within a VERY strict budget for 3 adults and a toddler!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    that's my issue too, we're really broke. Food never lasts in my house. I've been living on bread and peanut butter and my greek yogurts. I'm even down to only 2 eggs and still have at least 3 days til we can go shopping. I have kids, so to me, i'd rather have hardly anything and give them the stuff they like and they'll eat over having the more expensive things for myself.
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Soups! I keep a gallon size ziplock bag in my freezer and after dinner leftover cooked veggies go in the bag. When it's getting full I make soup - throw all the veggies in with some broth, maybe V 8 juice or tomato sauce and leftover chicken - I can then eat that for 2-3 days and it's essentially free.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I feel your pain. For several years out of college, I was so broke I had to steal toilet paper from my workplace.

I recently discovered the world of canned fish like sardines and herring. These are cheap sources of protein, calcium and omega3 fatty acids. No, they aren't pretty. In fact, they look aweful, but the flavor is pretty good and it's so easy to through a tin in my lunch bag. I really enjoy the ones with a smokey flavor.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Walmart and Kroger has frozen bags of precooked chicken breast of different flavors. They are a tad high on the sodium, but good to get some protein in. Eat as is with some frozen veggies or put it on a salad.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A recipe I found on MFP that lasted us several meals (again, family of 4 so for 1 it would last a really long time) is salsa chicken.

Salsa (I chose a lower sodium one with lots of garlic since I love it so much)
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts (First time I made it, I only used 4 breasts but the second time I made 8-9 with the same amount of salsa)
    Seasoning of your choice

Season the chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot. (If you don't have a crock pot, I suppose a deep baking dish with foil would work too).

Pour the salsa over it and slow cook for about 5-6 hours.

An hour or so before you're ready to serve the chicken, take two forks and shred the chicken up. Let heat another 30-60 minutes and serve with whatever side dishes you like. I served it on some fancy tortillas (that were really quite tasty) the night we had them but for leftovers at lunch during the week I weighed out 4 ounces of chicken into a bowl and added sour cream after heating. Ate it just like that and it was super filling. I froze the rest in a freezer bag for another night/day.

Easy and inexpensive.

I tried this recipe a while ago... It's very good!
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later so many great ideas!!
  • karen8272
    karen8272 Posts: 6
    Options
    I realize it is summer and it is hot out, but I love eating this year round.... SOUP. I make it myself. Use beef or chicken broth and add any vegetable you like. I generally add green beans, peas, corn, carrots,tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini or whatever I can find at the farmer's market.. The soup is very filling and satisfying.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some of you need to become Extreme Couponers. I see these people get $1000 worth of groceries and supplies for $43. It can be done. It takes a lot of work. There's plenty of websites out there to help you do it. Just try not to eat 100 candy bars or 53 bags of Cheetos! This is mainly why I don't use coupons. There's hardly a coupon out there for something healthy or not processed. I do better shopping at Costco and buying organic in bulk!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You may even ask at your grocery store if they allow customers to have the discarded items, mine does!

Curious. How do you ask this and what types of stuff?
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I LOVE Aldi and I try to get everything there that I can. I still live at home because I can't afford to keep myself up. I work at a theater. They are always cutting payroll. Sometimes I have no choice but my health this past week and a half has caused me to cut my own payroll. I work anywhere from 10 hours to MAYBE 30 something a week at $8.75 an hour. Gas is about $40 and if I really stretch it out I can make that last 2 weeks. But back to the living with the rents thing. My dad is the pickiest damn eater you will ever meet in your life!!! He swears up and down that he can tell when he is eating cheap ketchup and mayo. Little does he know we have been filling up the old jars with cheap things. I finally told my mom he can get over it. If we save a dollar just by buying the store brand ketchup the taste is worth it. I know that there really is some things out there that you can tell a difference. I personally find some store brand things better sometimes they are worse. But I can hardly get them to try anything different. My mom is all for it unless I say it is healthy or less fat or anything like that it is an automatic that is going to be gross. My dad just won't eat it. My whole life has been we eat this but I make this for dad. He is a hamburger, hot god, meatloaf, all american guy. I can say he is finally tired of sloppy joes. I am beyond tired of them. I try to make it with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and onions and they couldn't stand it! I am trying my best to cut out breads because it is getting to be where I end up eating about 6 to 8 slices a day. I have tried for years to get them to go whole wheat. They don't like it. Because I can't afford my own food but once in a blue moon I have to eat what I get. My dad has always instilled in me that I eat what I get or I do without. I was a spoiled rotten brat and thought I didn't have to until I saw that I have no choice. I can't go without because for one it is not healthy but for 2 I get sick after so many hours. My mom thinks the cheaper the food is for a can of veggies is better than spending a little more for the fresh veggies where you get more out of it. The effort to cook apparently is hard on her because she works LONG hours a day. I understand it. I love to cook so I will cook if I need to. But it would be just for me. I am going to go back and read all of this and right things down. So hopefully I can start buying my own food if my tastefully simple business kicks up. About the spaghetti. MY FAVORITE FOOD! But mom wants tons of meat, sausage, and onions and peppers. It does taste good yes. The veggies are good yes. But I want to slow down on my meat intake too. In a pinch she can do with out. The sauce can matter. There are some sauces that taste bad. I do want to learn how to make my own sauce. I hate to put blame on my parents but sometimes I do feel like they are to blame. I am the one putting the food in my mouth yes. It is my fault too. But if I was brought up differently I feel like I would be in a different situation. They know I am trying to lose weight and eat healthy. I have spent my entire life telling my mom I hate hot dogs they make me sick and she still doesn't get it. But she has finally gotten that I am trying to cut back on food and learn to eat better. We went to the store and she bought butter mashed potatoes. I asked her to get regular mashed potatoes because I don't want butter. She got both since mine was a small pack for 50 cents. She came to me and said dinner is done and I left the potatoes plain so you can add your own butter. I feel like that is a start! About the beans and rice. I will eat brown rice. Mom will if it comes with red beans. We both will eat beans. She has to have cornbread and onions. I admit that is so gooooood. But it is bread. Also, we would have to make something else for dad. Thank you guys so much for all the helpful advice!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    Options
    Oh I missed the coupons! I tried couponning but I only found coupons for things I don't need and bad foods!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    Options
    I went back through and wrote EVERYTHING down and saved the recipes to my computer. A few things I want to say though.

Food stamps: Even though I file as my own house and still live with my parents. Because of that I would have to put their income down too. They make too much money but can't afford food. I hate to say this and please don't think I am racist. But if we were black or mexican we would get the help. This really is true. I have both as neighbors and many as friends and I know a lot of them who make MORE money than all of us put together and still gets the help. Also, I am not pregnant.

Roommates: We can not afford those nor do we have the room.

Food banks: Anyone who goes in one of these will be able to get food. But because it is lacking and needs donations to stay open I would prefer it go to the homeless and families in more of a need then me.

Price of eggs: This is actually pretty good. We get 2 1/2 dozen for about $2.50 and that alone could last me almost a month but with my mom eating them too it can last 2 weeks.

Butter flavor sprays: I hate butter. Use to love it. Realized the calories. I don't want to touch it. I use olive oil when I need to use anything for frying or greasing a pan. I am a fan of pinterest and found a way to make a spray and will be doing this soon. Hated the taste at first but I am use to it now.

Growing my own food: I DO! I love to garden! It is so much fun and my passion. However, it in't working for me, Especially this year with 100 degree temps. Also, no room in the yard. But I am trying.

Farmers Market: LOVE THESE! We have one every friday that I haven't been able to check out but will be doing so soon. We also have one that stays open everyday. I am visiting him on friday.

I am going to check in on this plasma thing and CSA. I am also thinking about going to the food stamp place on my next 2 days off and trying again and just seeing if maybe I can get some help. It isn't fair that others can get help.

Also, when I say broke I mean BROKE. $40 to get food for 3 of us for 2 weeks kind of broke.