rest days and staying within calorie goal?

Options
I find it hard to stay within my calories allowed on rest days, does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I have to run everyday just to be able to eat enough to not go nutty. But my legs hurt and I need a break from running. Any ideas? I feel like I'm starving.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, but be sure you are eating filling foods especially on your rest days. For example instead of having a 500 calorie fast food taco that will fill you up for an hour or two have some whole grains, veggies, and lean meat instead. Instead of snacking on rice cakes have some greek yogurt. Things like that if you're not doing it already.... Or do some arm exercises or something that doesn't work the legs to earn calories on non-running days.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I try to cross train and avoid complete rest days as much as possible, but sometimes I know my body needs it. Even on a light recovery day it can be difficult. Often I'll just try to stay as close as possible on a rest/recovery day, but don't worry too much if I go over a bit. One day over 100-200 calories will not derail your efforts. I also try to stay a bit under on my heavier workout days (which is not difficult to do on some days) so I know that even if I'm over one day, I'm still on or under target for the week.
    At the moment I'm resting an injury, which means lighter workouts than normal. I find that I am carefully planning out my entire day of meals and snacks in advance, so I know I'll be at least close to my calorie goal.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    me too, and on exercise days I cannot eat them all, so i guess somehow it all balances out!!!!

Just don't stress too much about that number, I mean, what is your calorie deficit, 500? 750?, its not like if your calorie deficit is not exactly those numbers you'll stop losing weight, you are probably still at a deficit, right?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories on my rest days as I do on my activity days.
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options
    I Have had this problem too.
    Have you looked up any low calorie recipes?