Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I drink ridiculous amounts of diet soda and it's never been a problem. That said, if you can give it up, you'll probably be better for it.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    In the UK there was a program called "the truth about weight loss." it is on Youtube although I do not know if USA can view the BBC channel.

Interesting point was made using Functional MRI and sugars and sweetners. The brain reacts immediately to real glucose, it does not react to artificial sweetners. You have fooled the tastebuds but not the brain, the brain will want it's glucose and diet soda drinkers subconciously eat more.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=artificial-sweeteners-confound-the-brain

Many more articles, but who really reads links.

The functional MRI, would support the view of both Matt Wild and the other womans studies. The functional MRI is changing perception on many areas of diet and brain interaction. Rather like worlds first robot stomach has destroyed many opinions on cooked food versus raw food, cooked is better.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I drink ridiculous amounts of diet soda and it's never been a problem. That said, if you can give it up, you'll probably be better for it.

I like this. This is the attitude we should all have on these forums. This was my point exactly. If you want to drink it - go ahead. If you give it up (like I did) you may feel better. Either way - live and let live!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking it! Giving up sodas was this best thing I did a couple years ago. The artificial sweeteners in diet drinks make you hungry so you tend to eat more if you consume a lot of diet sodas.

No they don't, they don't increase insulin nor blood glucose. Indeed studies show this:

Overall - http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7921865

Aspartame - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Saccharin - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7652029

Sucralose - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21245879

Don't let facts get in the way of your interesting story tho :tongue:

Agreed!! I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009 @ 560 lbs,) and I drink 2 to 3 bottles of diet pepsi a day (also drink 125 oz. of water a day atleast) and have lost 310 lbs. over the last 37 months... The diet drinks haven't triggered any craving and I don't buy into the fear mongering...... Do what you need to do for yourself but I am quite content with my Soda's... On a Big Red Zero kick at the moment.. (stuff is O so good)..... Best of Luck
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    All this thread has done has made me crave diet coke.

So i'm gona go and drink one. And put on 30 lbs.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I quit diet coke in 2005 and lost like 13 pounds without trying…my new rule for coffee and tea is to add another 8 ozs of water for every coffee or tea I drink in addition to the 8 waters I have a day.

totally un - scientific, but worked and works for me.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Heavily sweeted drinks encourage consumption of other heavily sweetened/salted foods which tend to be high in calories...
    Fruits and vegetables tasted better when paired with lighly sweetened/unsweetened drinks...
    I found simply diluting the heavily sweetened drinks helpful in curbing my appitite for them (and consequently other foods normally consumed at the same time...)

Brand logos previously had a much bigger effect on my appitite than they do now. When I used to see certain logos, I would instantly get hungry for the food item. I don't eat much fast food anymore and the logos have very little effect on me now (hence less empty calories. I now refer to it as an emotional induced diet.)

Now I eat less calories, I run at least 30 min a day 6x/wk... :happy:
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It is hard to dig through the data, but some data suggests that the diet drinks trigger your body to want real sweets and cause over eating. It is better for you to dump the soda, plenty of research linkes artificial sweetners and cancer (in huge amounts, but why take the chance)

Try to dump the soda and I think you'll have better luck maintaining
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    "The present review explores the interactions between sweeteners and enteroendocrine cells, and consequences for glucose absorption and insulin release. A combination of in vitro, in situ, molecular biology and clinical studies has formed the basis of our knowledge about the taste receptor proteins in the glucose-sensing enteroendocrine cells and the secretion of incretins by these cells. Low-energy (intense) sweeteners have been used as tools to define the role of intestinal sweet-taste receptors in glucose absorption. Recent studies using animal and human cell lines and knockout mice have shown that low-energy sweeteners can stimulate intestinal enteroendocrine cells to release glucagon-like peptide-1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide. These studies have given rise to major speculations that the ingestion of food and beverages containing low-energy sweeteners may act via these intestinal mechanisms to increase obesity and the metabolic syndrome due to a loss of equilibrium between taste receptor activation, nutrient assimilation and appetite. However, data from numerous publications on the effects of low-energy sweeteners on appetite, insulin and glucose levels, food intake and body weight have shown that there is no consistent evidence that low-energy sweeteners increase appetite or subsequent food intake, cause insulin release or affect blood pressure in normal subjects. Thus, the data from extensive in vivo studies in human subjects show that low-energy sweeteners do not have any of the adverse effects predicted by in vitro, in situ or knockout studies in animals."

References
    1. Sclafani A (2007) Sweet taste signaling in the gut. Proc Natl
    Acad Sci U S A 104, 14887–14888.
    2. Danilova V, Damak S, Margolskee RF, et al. (2006) Taste
    responses to sweet stimuli in a-gustducin knockout and
    wild-type mice. Chem Senses 31, 573–580.
    3. Kellett GL & Helliwell PA (2000) The diffusive component of
    intestinal glucose absorption is mediated by the glucose-induced
    recruitment of GLUT2 to the brush-border membrane. Biochem
    J 350, 155–162.
    4. Dyer J, Vayrol S, King TP, et al. (2003) Glucose sensing in the
    intestinal epithelium. Eur J Biochem (FEBS) 270, 3377–3388.
    5. Mace OJ, Affleck J, Patel N, et al. (2007) Sweet taste receptors
    in rat small intestine stimulate glucose absorption through apical
    GLUT2. J Physiol 582, 379–392.
    6. Kellett GL (2007) Stress and intestinal sugar absorption. Am J
    Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292, R860–R861.
    7. Hofer D, Puschel B & Drenckhahn D (1996) Taste receptor-like
    cells in the rat gut identified by expression of a-gustducin.
    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93, 6631–6634.
    8. Margolskee RF, Dyer J, Kokrashvili Z, et al. (2007) T1R3
    and gustducin in gut sense sugars to regulate expression of
    Na
    þ
    -glucose cotransporter 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104,
    15075–15080.
    9. Egan JM & Margolskee RE (2008) Taste cells of the gut and
    gastrointestinal chemosensation. Mol Interv 8, 78–81.
    10. Grieve DJ, Cassidy RS & Green BD (2009) Emerging
    cardiovascular actions of the incretin hormone glucagon-like
    peptide-1: potential therapeutic benefits beyond glycaemic
    control? Br J Pharmacol 157, 1340–1351.
    11. Jang H-J, Kokrashvili Z, Theodorakis MJ, et al. (2007)
    Gut-expressed gustducin and taste receptors regulate secretion
    of glucagon-like peptide-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104,
    15069–15074.
    12. Li X, Staszewski L, Xu H, et al. (2002) Human receptors
    for sweet and umami taste. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99,
    4692–4696.
    13. Fujita Y, Wideman RD, Speck M, et al. (2009) Incretin release
    from gut is acutely enhanced by sugar but not by sweeteners
    in vivo. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296, E473–E479.
    14. Blundell JE & Hill AJ (1986) Paradoxical effects of an intense
    sweetener (aspartame) on appetite. Lancet i, 1092–1093.
    Sweet-taste receptors and glucose homeostasis 1419
    British Journal of Nutrition
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I drink Dr Pepper Zero, and/or Coke Zero, pretty darn regularly, and my craving for 'sweet/salty/junk foods' has actually gone down. I've been much more successful in choosing healthy options over the delicious rubbish ones- apples instead of cookies, frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, a yogurt instead of chocolate, wholemeal pasta/brown rice instead of the white variety. I chalk this down to a mental change, however; think it has nowt to do with what kinda soda I am or am not drinking.

Different things work for different people!
  • anatee1
    anatee1 Posts: 20
    Options
    WAAAAAAAH!
    I love diet coke!
    and reading everyones posts is making me think twice!
    then ill be craving my diet coke.
    i usually have about 4 600ml bottles a week!!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I gain water weight from it the next day
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am a diet soda addict! I've cut down to one a day on some days - but have switched to diet coke w/ splenda (I've only found it at Wal-Mart but it isn't bad) or if I don't have a soda that day - I have the diet arizona green tea with splenda. When I started MFP I had a 6 to 8 soda a day habit. It was ridiculous really. I too kept seeing those stupid articles and the only info I found was that the aspartame in diet drinks can make you retain belly fat. I'm not a regular soda fan - but have actually seen a few articles saying those are better for you but again they all boiled down to that aspartame stuff.

Since cutting back (a twelve pack of soda every two weeks or so) I've lost a few inches - but I'm also watching what I eat and working out six days a week - so I dont' know how much truth there is to that stuff. I do feel better since cutting back - but again - I'm watching what I eat and exercising so that could just be the ticket. However with all the reports out there on diet soda one has to wonder - and ultimately do what works for you.

***Edit - the zero drinks (coke zero/pepsi max, etc) also have aspartame.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No one can "gain weight" from a zero calorie food item. The sodium in it is minimal... typically about the same as the sodium in three baby carrots.

But in some people, it increases cravings and has other side effects, like headaches. If you're one of those people, avoid it.
  • jlmauchgibbs
    jlmauchgibbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It may be all in my head, but my husband and I have noticed the same thing with regards to snacking more when drinking diet soda. We gave it up about a year and a half ago and both lost weight - he lost 60 pounds and I lost 30. Of course, it was really more about diet and exercise than just giving up soda. However, when we introduced it back into the diet, we both found ourselves snacking more and having a tough time controlling cravings - both fell off the wagon a bit. I have also read about this and don't know how much of it is true, but it sure seems to impact our diets. We have decided to really limit it. If I have to have a can of soda, I have it at supper so it doesn't wreck my whole day. I figure, if I can't pronounce any of the ingredients listed on the can, it can't be all that good for me anyway so it can't hurt to limit it if it works for me (and it does!) :) Good luck!!
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    I don't buy into the theory myself. I am on the road all day .. for me soda, water, SOMETHING to drink breaks the monotony. While I've cut back and drink more water than I ever used to, especially because of my protein consumption, I still drink whatever diet soda I have a desire for and have lost 20 lb in the last 70 days ... it's a mindset IMO. And no, I have no cravings ... IMO, sugar is a bigger concern than diet soda.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Over the past few months I have slowly gotten addicted to diet coke. I am having at least 1 can, but sometimes up to 3 a day. Initially it helped to fill that space in the late afternoon when I wanted to eat and eat. I've googled and there are so many reports saying that it actually ends up making you put on weight in the long term.

Initially I pffft'd that, but I'm beginning to think that is true. I am starting to struggle with controlling my cravings (and then over eating) and I'm actually now thinking that it might be the diet coke. I didn't seem to have any problems with this for the year that I lost weight. It's only once I got close to maintenance that I started with the diet coke thing, and every so slowly my weight has crept up (which is not surprising - I'm logging,but I always seem to go over my cals).

Thoughts? Experiences?

I would find this ( the food that is causing you to go over on cals. ) and it should solve your problems, diet coke would not cause this. It has zero calories.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Diet Coke addiction, I would drink a couple a day! I decided that i could give up a few and go down to one a day, and still i didn't feel like it quenched my thirst and i was super hungry after drinking one. I have now given Diet Coke up for good. I lost weight once i cut sodas out all together, but that could be due to the amount of water i am drinking in its place (which is good) but i did try a sip of DC the other day and it tasted horrible, way to sweet!! I think if you give them up and replace them with water you would see a difference in the way you feel as well as the number on the scale. But this is only my opinion, feel free to ignore it. :laugh:
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I drink over a litre a day of the stuff, at my worst I was drinking 3 litres a day.

I'm still losing weight even though I'm drinking it

I also drink Diet Coke quite a bit. I know it's bad for you and blah, blah. Maybe I'll wean myself off in the near future. No problems with the weight loss though.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've lost 104 lbs so far and I drink about 2L a day. I don't get cravings or any other silly side effects that others get. A little bit of self-control goes a long way.