Jogging HELP PLEASE

Options
Is there a class on how to jog/run? I tried doing the C25K last year and when I had to jog, my left foot would get tingly. I figured that was bad so I stopped. I started doing the Wii Fit basic run and my toes got tingly (I was barefoot). I have tried all different types/sizes of shoes. Anyone else have this issue? I have a bunch of friends that love to go running. I think I would be able to learn to enjoy it more if my feet didn't do weird things.

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Look into Good Form Running, a lot of sports stores offer good form running clinics for free. I know my local Gazelle sporting goods store offers the good form running clinics 2x a week.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Here's the good form running website link, the list of sporting goods stores that offer the clinic is on the left.. it looks like only some of them are free.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/register

Also, you might want to check with a Dr about the tingly sensations..
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I dont get that when I run but when I walk fast. My toe next to my big toe goes to sleep. I read an article in runner magazine about it and it is the way your foot is landing. Its not dangerous just annoying.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't have that happen when I run but maybe look into running form like the above said.
  • VTMudRunner
    VTMudRunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fleet Feet Sports store near you they do group running programs. They're awesome and very helpful. If not try any running specialty store near you. I agree with the Good Form Running as well.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I get that, too, occasionally. No idea what causes it, but I just ignore it. Like the poster before me suggested, I've heard of a lot of free 5K and 10K training programs sponsored by specialty sports stores, in my area. If you check around, I bet you'll find something like that.

Running has been my first choice in exercise since I was 22. A number of factors pulled me away from it over the past 3 years (hence, the need to lose weight), but I'm getting back to it, and I love it. Hope you learn to love it, too! Good luck!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I'm not sure why it would happen barefoot, unless it is the way your foot strikes.
    When you have running shoes, running shoes should always be at least a 1/2 size bigger that what you would normally wear. Your toes swell when you run. Any good running store will not only offer running classes and groups for all levels, but will properly fit you into a shoe. A good shoe can make all the difference in your run.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Thas used to happen to me, it was the siatic nerve in my back... see your doctor x
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I run and experience this, especially when i run on hills or slanted shoulders. I went up a width in shoe size even though the running store insisted i didnt need it. It helped quite a lot. Still hapoens on hills though. I have learned to ignore it. As long as u dont have a medical issue (circulation issues) its not a huge concern.
  • deannasw
    deannasw Posts: 47
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL! I will definitely look into the form clinics!
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get checked out for shoes. They will check your form and recommend shoes based on how your foot lands which will help with support. Also, they will put you in a proper size which is usually a size or two up from what you would normally wear to accomadate for your feet swelling. It is worth every penny for a good pair!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'd see your doctor. Tingling is usually a sign of nerve damage or parts of your body might be pushing on a nerve incorrectly.
  • Broxsonator
    Options
    I had the same problem... one of my co-workers said, "It's your socks... they are too tight." Um...ok... :-/
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just an idea.... and only some will agree

A trip to your chiropractor may be all you need. My feet get adjusted occasionally and it makes
    all the difference! Yes I said FEET not back! :) Although I do get my back adjusted sometimes
    too. I work over a desk 12 hours a day ...
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. My entire foot was going tingly and numb when I ran, turns out I have 1 foot bone that is bigger than the connecting toe bone and when I bend my toes too far the bones rub together and cause problems. I've finally found a pair of stiffer sole shoes that won't let my toe bend too far and am about to attempt the running once again.

Good luck!
  • KViens71
    KViens71 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Good luck figuring out what is wrong!! There is a ton of good advise here. I know I sometimes tie my shoes too tight, and have that issue. It could be form (the way your foot strikes when you land), shoes, a nerve. The best bet is to rule things out one by one. I would start with form and shoes and go from there. Best of luck....running is an AMAZING exercise!!!
  • cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Could be many different things like the previous members have posted. I recommend getting the Asics Gel shoe. They are about $120, but I went from running in cardboard to running on air (not literally, but close enough)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Laces too tight (you really need to have them looser than you think necessary) or poor fit ... those are 2 of your most likely (and easy fixes) ... get to a running shop and get properly fit.

After 2 years of running, it still happens to me if I lace up a bit too much (and it doesn't have to be tight to do that) ... my feet swell up pretty good so when I start a run they are fairly loose.
  • Moosatcows
    Moosatcows Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just an idea.... and only some will agree

A trip to your chiropractor may be all you need. My feet get adjusted occasionally and it makes
    all the difference! Yes I said FEET not back! :) Although I do get my back adjusted sometimes
    too. I work over a desk 12 hours a day ...

I agree with this. A chiropractor made running feel like a completely different activity by adjusting my feet and ankles. They will also be able to check for other nerve problems.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I used to get tingles in my right foot, to the point where I'd eventually not be able to feel my foot at all while running - very strange sensation!! I relaxed my shoe lace on the right shoe and that helped a little; it also happens less and less now and it might be because my running shoes are wearing and 'giving' a little, or that my running style has improved. I think my right foot is slightly larger than my left, and my running shoes were a tad too tight.