Tips for first 5k?

Options
I'm about 2 weeks out from running my first 5k. Are there any particular tips or advice which any of you would recommend? Etiquette? Preparation?

I've been running about 3 miles in the morning, 3 times a week; slow as dirt, so I'll be happy to just cross the finish line. :)

Replies

• artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't get excited and start out at a pace you can't sustain. Also, if you're running slowly don't bunch up towards the start line before the gun. Faster people start first, slower people towards the back and walkers should be last. Congrats!
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You will be tempted to run faster as others around you might - my advice is just take it at your usual pace. Find others who are running a similar pace and engage with them. Mutual support goes a long way.
  • ellioj
    ellioj Posts: 4
    Options
    Get everything ready the night before. Lay out your clothes as you'd put them on (shoes, socks, shorts, etc), including your race bib and anything else you'd need. It's easy to forget something if you're nervous in the morning.

Enjoy your first race!!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself, have FUN and cross the finish line! :drinker:
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do the 5k parkrun every saturday but as your doing 3 miles a day I dont think you will have any problems just the the same as when you do your runs I love doing them but when I started I was at the front and had to run like mad to get out of there way so I could go at my pace so have fun and like I said your do 3 miles each time so this will be like a walk in the park.
  • VTMudRunner
    VTMudRunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I suggest hydrating well the days before, eat basic like you have been in training, don't wear anything new. Make it feel like another training run. Set yourself near the back of the starting pack and don't try to keep up with everyone as they bolt across the start line. Just stay your course. Nerves are normal but there is nothing that feels so good as crossing that finish line. Get there early also to have time to relax, warm up, get the bib pinned on use the facilities etc... Best advise I have is enjoy the whole thing. Also, stick around after to see if they have give aways. Hope this helps. Have fun!
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    Just enjoy your run! Enjoy the crowd, the fun, and the atmosphere. Enjoy the course! I tend to not think of them as races anymore, but fun social gatherings. I run at my comfortable pace, and keep to the right because I am slow. I just really like to take it all in and have fun. I dont worry about speed or pace or the people around me.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol the night before... makes it much harder ! ;-)
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I too have asked this same question before on the forum. But ive found sum valuable information since then. Im also running a 5k in december.

Warm up: A proper warm-up increases the blood flow to the working muscle which results in decreased muscle stiffness, less risk of injury, improved performance and psychological preparation for an event. Before your 5K training and racing, a good warm-up includes an easy three-minute jog and three 30-second, fast-paced efforts or sprints. Complete the warm-up 5 minutes before the race start.

Eat before run: Eating a simple meal of 200 to 400 calories about two to three hours before the race is important to have fuel for the event, but also have time to digest the food. Never experiment with food or drink on race day. It's wise to practice eating before training to make sure the food works for you, then replicate this meal on the race day.

Avoid prerace jitters: Pre-race jitters are normal, so try not to misinterpret it or think it is fear; that adrenaline rush you feel is normal and it is part of your body's natural preparation for the competition. To help avoid nervousness before the event, arrive with plenty of time so you aren't rushed, get a thorough warm-up, know the course, and dress for the weather. If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts before or during the race, try to focus only on your breathing and race like you don't care about the outcome. Remember goal number one: you are only competing against yourself, so enjoy the moment.

Hope this helped ! And good luck to the both of us!! :):)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 weeks out from running my first 5k. Are there any particular tips or advice which any of you would recommend? Etiquette? Preparation?

I've been running about 3 miles in the morning, 3 times a week; slow as dirt, so I'll be happy to just cross the finish line. :)

Don't eat or drink anything out of the ordinary the day before and morning of your run. Run like you've trained.
    Don't wear anything new or that you haven't trained in.
    Get to the running venue early, get a good parking spot, stretch and talk with the other runners.
    Start out slowly. Your first inclination will be to go fast in the excitement of the race.
    #1 recommendation is to have fun!
    It sounds like you've done the roadwork, enjoy the race!
    Good luck!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    As someone who ran his first, just go and have a good time. If your slow line up in the back. Im slow but was still able to pass folks. As for prep I would take the day before the race off from running just so your fresh the day of the race. Show up early and make sure your hydrated. My goals for the race were 1) not die, 2) jog entire race, 3) under 44 mins. Achieved all of them. Good luck and let know how you did.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bumping - my first one is in Sept.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Awesome! First 5k! Here is what I do, Eat an early high carb dinner the night before. Not too heavy either. Hydrate a lot the day before also. REST the day before. No running. Get up early enough to take care of bathroom stuff before the race and eat a light carb filled breakfast two hours before your run. And drink,drink,drink. Get to the race early to pick up your race packet and use the bathroom. Don't stretch before your race but do about ten min. of brisk walking to warm up. Remember to breath and stick to your pace. :drinker: Stretch after your run. Luck to you!:flowerforyou:

PS. No new shoes or new clothing. You don't want to chafe or get blisters.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been contemplating signing up for a 5k but the idea makes me so nervous! I haven't done anything like it in years (since highschool). Maybe I should just pick one a couple of months out and sign up.:indifferent:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone. :)

I'm especially curious about the eating/meals suggestions. Typically I don't eat anything before running, because I want get outside while the sun is just starting to rise. I'm in Phoenix and it's around 87 degrees even at 5:30am. Should I not eat prior, because that I am used to? Or just something very light? I believe the race is scheduled for 6:30am.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I always push myself a bit at races. It's mainly because I'm competitive by nature, but I usually lock on to somone who's a bit ahead of me and try to catch them, then move to the next one. I'm not saying you should kill yourself, especially out of the gate, but pushing yourself for the race will allow you to get faster :)

Good luck!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone. :)

I'm especially curious about the eating/meals suggestions. Typically I don't eat anything before running, because I want get outside while the sun is just starting to rise. I'm in Phoenix and it's around 87 degrees even at 5:30am. Should I not eat prior, because that I am used to? Or just something very light? I believe the race is scheduled for 6:30am.

I think the more important thing is to race as you train. If you don't usually eat, don't eat (it's a pretty early race, so probably not a big deal). In cooler climates we tend to start races a lot later, 8:30 or even 10:30 is not an uncommon 5K start time. It's pretty hard to not eat before a 10:30 race, so I think that where a lot of the "eat light" advice is coming from. Also, if you chose to ramp up your distances and do long runs, it gets harder to avoid eating beforehand. If find that anything more that 4 miles or so I really need to eat at least a light snack before I go. Otherwise my tank starts emptying around the 4-4.5 mile marker and things are a lot harder.

The only real piece of advice I can give that hasn't already been said is to go to the bathroom at some point before the start. Nothing sucks more than being halfway through a race and realizing that you really, really, have to pee.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    First off - it's 5k not a marathon so you don't need to do ANYTHING unusual in terms of what you eat or drink before the event. Eat a light meal no later than an hour before.

Clothes - wear what you usually wear in training. Dont wear a coat!

Warm-up - gentle jog with a few faster bursts for a few minutes

Ks 1 and 2 - These are easy - should be quite quick as you are fresh and keen
    Ks 3 and 4 - These are HARD - will probably be bit slower. and you should feel like your hanging on and want to die
    K5 - this will be your fastest K - keep your style, keep breathing not gasping, only a few more minutes and you are there. With 400m to go gradually up the pace and sprint the last 50m and make sure there's nothing left in the tank.
    Finish - Puke (maybe) Celebrate your PB and if you didnt at least feel like throwing up then maybe you can go a bit faster next time!!!

but most of all enjoy it :)
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to do a 5k!

The night before, eat a high-carb meal, such as pasta, so you will have energy for the race.
    Don't do anything out of the ordinary (new shoes/clothing, ect.).
    If you do eat before you run, eat something light and at least an hour before the race.
    Lay out everything the night before so you are ready to go in the morning!
    Take the day off or do a light run the day before (1-2 miles). Stretch well on after your last run before the race.
    Get in a proper warm up! Stretch afterwards if you have time, but the warm up is more important if you are pressed for time.
    Arrive early to get a good parking spot and get your number.

You may not be the fastest one out there, but I am sure there will be other first-timers and people that run your pace. I've seen people run 5ks extremely fast, but there are people who walk all or most of it. Good luck!