Birthdays

Options
ninavivi
ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
Silly as this may sound, i'm wondering if this is weird or just me.

my husbands triplet siblings still live at home with there mom. (they will be 29) is it wrong of me to think that we shouldn't go over to there house for there birthday? I feel like were all adults and we can hang out, but a birthday party? when it's my birthday i just hang out with my husband and kids. i talk to my family on the phone and they all wish me a happy bday, but i don't expect to see them. it's no big deal.

what are your thoughts?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that adults should not have birthday parties? Then yeah, you're wrong. People can have parties if they want. Don't go if you don't want to.
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    In my family, for the adults, we just make it part of Sunday dinner, the cake is just dessert and we give them cards. It's just hanging out with "Oh, by the way, happy birthday". It's their last birthday before being in their 30's, I understand why they'd want to celebrate it if they wanted. Tell your husband to go without you, or just go and duck out early.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If they didn't live at home, would you still not want to go? I see nothing wrong with having people over to celebrate a birthday. If you don't want to go, don't.
  • ninavivi
    Options
    i don't think adults shouldn't have parties. I guess i just think there mom treats them like babys. the way my family is compared to my husband is so opposite. I haven't shared my bday with my family in 15 years, it isn't a big deal to me. But i wasn't sure if it was wrong of me to think it is weird that familys do that for adults. again, our two familys are so different, sometimes i dont' know whats ok or whats weird.
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I mean it is your husband's birthday....so if that's what he wants to do for his birthday I think it's only reasonable that you "suck it up" and go.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My family still does birthdays - cake, presents and sometimes dinner.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    i don't think adults shouldn't have parties.
    Well you said "we shouldn't go to their house", so it sounds like you think they should not have a party. Lots of adults have birthday parties. You don't, that's fine, don't judge.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    We usually decorate and have a BBQ or supper and drinks for anyone in the family with a birthday. This year for my B-day they even had a pinata. What DO you think adults should do on their birthday?
  • ninavivi
    Options
    i see your point DaniD. I think it's just I haven't lived near family in so long (15 years), and now i live near my husbands family, it's kind of "new". I mean I do other holidays (thanksgiving/xmas etc..) but my parents never made it a "big deal" so i never thought it was a big deal. but seeing his side, i thought they were making it a big deal. (like anyone else, i like to do things for my bday, we hang out, play games etc.. i just have been doing it with friends) there is a lot of back story to this question, I was just trying to get to the point without all the history. make since?
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that adults should not have birthday parties? Then yeah, you're wrong. People can have parties if they want. Don't go if you don't want to.

Calling you out.

Why you gotta be such an avid cynical, difficult online personality? Not only do you post entirely too much, but I'd venture to guess less than 2% of your thousands of comments are worth half a damn. Why don't you water your social life like you do that little shrub you got going on and see the bright side of life.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I would go along with whatever the family traditionally does. In my family, the birthday person chooses where/what they want for dinner or lunch, we have cake (with candles), ice cream, and gifts (usually just 1 gift or gift card). Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Calling you out.

Why you gotta be such an avid cynical, difficult online personality? Not only do you post entirely too much, but I'd venture to guess less than 2% of your thousands of comments are worth half a damn. Why don't you water your social life like you do that little shrub you got going on and see the bright side of life.

VERY WELL SAID.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    i don't think adults shouldn't have parties. I guess i just think there mom treats them like babys. the way my family is compared to my husband is so opposite. I haven't shared my bday with my family in 15 years, it isn't a big deal to me. But i wasn't sure if it was wrong of me to think it is weird that familys do that for adults. again, our two familys are so different, sometimes i dont' know whats ok or whats weird.

Birthdays are big in our family, so I guess it's all just what you're used to.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Everyone deserves a birthday party...everyone. It is the one day a year people can think and be very proud of themselves without being conceited or having a big ego. There is nothing wrong with it.

It's your husbands siblings...your in-laws. If you don't want to go, don't. But allow your husband, its his family. And don't be surprised if others think different thoughts (including him) about you not going.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    why do three 29 year olds still live at home like teenagers? ew dude
  • workoutjunky1
    workoutjunky1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ninavivi wrote: »
    Silly as this may sound, i'm wondering if this is weird or just me.

my husbands triplet siblings still live at home with there mom. (they will be 29) is it wrong of me to think that we shouldn't go over to there house for there birthday? I feel like were all adults and we can hang out, but a birthday party? when it's my birthday i just hang out with my husband and kids. i talk to my family on the phone and they all wish me a happy bday, but i don't expect to see them. it's no big deal.

what are your thoughts?

You ever get this sorted out?
  • kmlong2015
    kmlong2015 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I didn't read All the other comments, but I know where you are coming from. My husband and I do some holidays separate from our family's events. The reason being, we are a growing family as well. We celebrate our own way with our growing kids. I hope that makes sense?
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    some people have birthday parties some people dont, you arent wrong for not wanting to go nor are they wrong for having a party.
    I havent had a birthday party since I was 8, technically 6. Im usually too busy, usually I just get a phone call or two and my parents get me a present sometimes
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    thread-resurrection-PTL.jpg