27 years old and new to MFP

Options
jpek1
jpek1 Posts: 2 Member
I have checked this site and perused the message boards for a long time now and I have been amazed at the support and the transformations that are flowing on this site. Im still in the process of trying to construct my profile. Being honest, I'm a little nervous to tell my story, but this is my story.

My name is John, I'm 27 and I am from Chicago. Currently, I'm down 24 pounds since the beginning of the year by just following the diet portion of Weight Watchers. Obviously, there is the fitness part, which I'm still trying to decide how to go about that. My weight loss goal is definitely to be within the healthy BMI range, which would be right now, 54-63 pounds away based on my height. However, it is not just about health and fitness. The meaning of this journey is very high for me as there are goals that I want to achieve. My health and weight has held me back from doing so much for so long, such as finding a girlfriend (which I have never had one before), getting a driver's license (which not having one is not helping me out at all), and finishing my bachelor's degree (which a couple years ago I had to withdraw from school because of illness).

I'm just looking for people that may have a similar story or that I can become great friends with on this site. This is not going to happen overnight and there are many challenges and obstacles ahead. However, for me, its now or never. I wish everybody the best of luck on their own journey.

Replies

• j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    Hey, what is up dude! Greetings from Sacramento. First off, this is a great place. It is like the Facebook for food and exercise. I am new, too, but have already made it my homepage. It is very encouraging, and there are great people on here.
    I don't know what Chicago is like, or even midwesterners for that matter, but generally it is the consensus that chicks are into guys that are fit, and for a multitude of reasons. Fit guys are athletic, which means they can do stuff. Fit guys are tough, and can be a source of security. Fit guys are confident, and in control of their lives (and this is ABSOLUTELY true, I believe). Also, fit guys are great eye candy, have better libido than fat guys, and perform well in bed. Guys look at girls the same reason, as well as employers.
    I am 25, and have had 3 serious girlfriends in my life. All of which I thought they were the "one," and all of which I was WRONG. I am kind of done with the girlfriend thing for a while. Once I get fit and healthy, my confidence will grow. If you believe in the 1-10 scale, or natural selection for that matter, a low level guy will not be successful with a woman of a number higher than two of his own number. That is just the way it is. For instance, I am about a 5 right now. I cannot shoot for the stars until I improve myself, and gain confidence in who I am by looking great and being healthy (as well as learning how to cook well-- that is big these days).
    You have got some work to do, my friend, as do I. It takes a lot of self control. A LOT. You will have to walk by the pizza parlor and say NO! because you have a boneless skinless chicken breast at home that you are going to do something wonderful with on the stove. You will also need to sweat it out. Big guys tend to lose weight very quickly IF AND ONLY IF they apply themselves. Working out is like buying stuff at walmart. You get what you pay for. If you go on a jog, and decide 20 sec later that it is hard and you head back for home, you don't stand a chance. You will continue to be fat. If you recognize that it is hard, and say, "I can do this", the goal will eventually come to fruition. I have been chubby my whole life, until I got dumped by a man-eating leech, and totaled my car on the freeway and came out alive. I finally decided that after 8 years of going nowhere in life, it was time for a change.
    I have been smoking since I was 13. I quit for good last week. If you havent done that before, it is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. It takes a TON of will power, and that is something that I have now, and have never had this amount before. You will have to dig deep, and if you do, you will make it. Oh, and it is very rewarding to look on the scale and see that number dwindle. You will see it. Apply yourself, and you will get results. Stop with the sugars, sodas, ice cream, pizza, and fatty burgers. From what I have learned, focus on Calories, Protein, Fiber, Low sugar, and Low carbs. That is waht I am doing. The rest will come later, once I am more educated.
    Good luck on your journey. The message board is a great way to get answers to any questions. Just ask!
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    Welcome John!

Your observation is correct alot of supportive folks here! I am Holly from Philadelphia, PA. I am 34 Years old. I believe we all things that our weight has kept us from doing, mine aren't the same as yours, but I can definately relate to the disappointment.

I've found that reading other's stories are very motivating, but try not to compare yourselve to other cause veryone is different, but it can give you an idea of exercises to try that may help you get to your goal. Sometimes telling your story outloud, lets you get the wieght off you chest and makes you feel better about it!

I've also done the weight watcers diet, and have had success with it, but after a while i get overwhlmed by tracking, this site tracks for you, which is nice, and i know what i need to do at the gym to meet my goals.

Do you belong to a gym? Do you exercize at home? What type of activities do you enjoy doing?. Feel free to add me as a friend!

Have a great day!
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :) I am 25 right now(26 in October),and I wanted to join this site because the name of it says it all :) This site is AMAZING for making friends and for support when we need it.I have struggled with my weight almost most of my life :( , and I have found MFP very helpful.You will love it here,and you're right.It won't happen overnight,but with support from friends,it may make our weight loss journeys easier.Have a great day,and congrats so far on you're weight loss.
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I am 28 and from New Brunswick, Canada. I am still fairly new to MPF too and trying to lose all the weight I have packed on in the last 10 years - my goal is to lose 53lbs. I have found this site is a great way to keep yourself motiviated and a great resource for advice and insight when you try out new workouts. It is a journey and a learning process and the more support you get the better it is, I have support from friends and family but since no one else is in the boat of needing to lose weight it is hard for them to understand what it is like all the time!

Welcome & Good Luck!:smile:
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I hope this place can provide the support and encouragement for you that it has for me. I'm about to hit my fifty pound mark thanks to MFP and all the people on here keeping me going through a death in the family and a bad breakup with the ex. It has some awesome people on here who will encourage and hold you accountable, what you need in other words. I'm like you in the respect I keep going back and forth to school. I have my bachelors but I keep putting my Masters on hold or having to change it up as I move and/or life gets in the way. I'm hoping once I've lost the weight and life gets settled after moving to Raleigh and breaking up that I can get back into school, either here or elsewhere, and get myself back on track. I'd be glad to friend you and help anyway I can on this journey of yours, for it is a journey. A journey to lose weight, find yourself and figure out what matters. Good luck with it all!
  • crazygracee
    crazygracee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello John! Just like you, I am new to MFP. Just joined yesterday but I started my fitness plan with Scottish Slimmers 2 weeks ago and I am currently 6lbs down. A good start but I am hitting my week of cravings and temptation this week, I know its hard hence I was so over the moon when I accidentally found MFP when I was looking for calorie details. It's great for tracking your calorie intake and progress!

I have 1 MFP friend at the moment, but would welcome more if you guys want to add me.

Thanks,
    Grace
  • Terree83
    Terree83 Posts: 93
    Options
    Welcome, John!

This site is absolutely fantastic for people that are looking to lose a few pounds and stay in shape, or those that have much bigger goals. The support is unbelievable! I find myself logging in multiple times per day to not only track my food and exercise, but to see how everyone else is progressing!

Best of luck to you on your journey! :)
  • Monkatzya
    Monkatzya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi John!

Welcome to the site. I'll be turning 27 next month. I was on this site before last year for a month and lost 10 pounds just by tracking calories. However, I went off and I've gained quite a bit of weight. I'm starting all over again today and this time it has to work. The first few days are the hardest but after a week, it gets pretty easy and it feels so good to see progress. All the best!
  • Chunk2206
    Chunk2206 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm new to MFP...well i'm in my 2nd week but I class that as new still.

I have to loose weight but I want to loose at lease 70lbs which will put me in the ideal weight range for my height and bring my BMI down to the healthy range.

The site is a great resource and if you feel your resolve start to weaken you can just log on and get some support and words of encouragement which I think is great.

Good luck and if you want some extra support add me as a friend and i'll do what I can to help.
  • maddiekidd
    maddiekidd Posts: 15
    Options
    John,
    Welcome to the site. Its full of wonderful people working towards the same goal, to be fit. I say be fit because if you work towards being fit you will lose weight. You can do this, I never thought I could but I am slowly but surely. Good luck and stick with it. Friend me if you like.

Chris
  • Slimat30
    Slimat30 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi John,
    I have lost a little through weight watchers and have decided to come over to mfp as its free :). Would love to support you through your journey but I'm on holiday now until August 6 th so will be active from then on :) good luck for the next few weeks and I'll see you in August :)
    All the best,
    Lucy
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi John. I'm 27 as well. Living in Indianapolis area. Trying to get down to a health weight. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Also, good luck in your journey!
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    27 years old from the Chicago suburbs here! Adding you now =D
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • aagnew01
    aagnew01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 24 lbs already! What an accomplishment! I am (freshly) 28 and live in Indianapolis, IN. Joining MFP is a great thing, it has helped me see where my stregthens and weaknesses are. I can jog 3 miles now, I hate push ups, and I love lunges & squats. I have a confidence in my self now that speaks for its self. Sometimes I fall of with logging on but I am able to continue my journey of being a better me with all the knowledge and resources MFP has provided. Good Luck!
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me I'm always looking for support... I log in daily!!! And Always giving out tons of support to everyone! :smile:
  • vwdyess
    vwdyess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have found some great weight watcher recipes on Pinterest. My family loves the recipes too!:smile: