Stuck at 162.8... Help!

Options
So in the first week I lost 7lbs, wasn't active at all just changed my eating habits.

Now for a little over a week I have been sitting at 162.8 and cannot for the life of me get past it. I've been doing hot yoga along with my diet change.. I thought I've been doing sooo good. It's 'that time' of the month it I don't feel bloated at all. Why can't I get past this stupid number!? I so badly want to be below 160 again.. I haven't been since before I got pregnant with my now 3 year old..

Any tips? Please :frown:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It could be your sodium intake. Your diary is open, but you don't have sodium tracked so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Add sodium to your diary and check it out.
  • Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm able to see my sodium... What should it be per day??
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I can't see your sodium, so I'm not sure what it should be per day... it's different for everyone. Add it to the tracking on your diary and the number that MFP gives you is what you specifically should base it off of. I'm going to message you about that!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    One of the most frustrating moments for many dieters is the weekly weigh-in.

Sometimes, the results on your scales seem to bear very little relation to the week you’ve just had.

Maybe you’ve been really good – but not lost anything. Or you’ve had a couple of meals out, and eaten more than a few candy bars – and yet you’ve dropped a pound.

What the heck’s going on?

If you weren’t dieting and weighed yourself every day, you’d still find that your weight wasn’t steady: it might fluctuate by as much as several pounds.

These fluctuations in body weight are commonly due to 3 factors:

Water retention
    Glycogen stores
    The amount you’ve eaten
    Water Retention
    Water retention is caused by drinking too little water, or eating too much salt.

If you don’t drink enough water, your body will cling onto its water supplies; make sure you’re drinking enough. And if you eat too much salt, your kidneys hold onto water instead of excreting it.

Women commonly retain water during the few days of the month just before their period. This “phantom” few pounds will drop off as quickly as it went on. Some medications can also cause water retention.

Glycogen Stores
    Glycogen – sugar – is carbohydrate stored in the liver and muscles; usually more than a pound in total, along with three or four pounds of water. This is your body’s energy reserve, and gets used up during the day if you’re not taking in enough carbohydrates to supply your energy needs.

When you eat, your body replaces the glycogen store and the water that goes with it – leading to a weight gain on the scales, even if you’ve only eaten a moderately-sized meal. This is absolutely normal and should not put you off eating carbohydrates!

The Amount You’ve Eaten
    Don’t think about the meal you’ve just eaten in terms of calories – think in terms of weight.

You could stuff yourself with pounds of fruit or salad for under a few hundred calories – but these pounds will show up if you stand on the scales straight after a meal. (Just imagine weighing yourself with all that food in your hands.)

Once your body’s had a chance to digest it, that food will disappear. The same applies with water – which has 0 calories, but definitely weighs something!

How to Accurately Measure Weight Loss
    So how can you figure out whether you’re losing weight or not, if your body’s so prone to fluctuations? Try:

Only weighing yourself once a week, not every day
    Always weighing first thing in the morning, before eating/drinking and after using the bathroom
    Looking at the pattern of weight loss over time, rather than worrying if you’ve stayed the same or gone up in one particular week
    Judging your success by the fit of your clothes, your energy and the good habits you’re forming – not just by the number on the scales.
    Measure inches and body fat percentage instead of just weight.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in the SAME place as you. 2 weeks and counting bouncing between 161 and 163. I'm waiting to break through this but getting discouraged!
  • Shayzeepoo
    Options

Sometimes, the results on your scales seem to bear very little relation to the week you’ve just had.

Maybe you’ve been really good – but not lost anything. Or you’ve had a couple of meals out, and eaten more than a few candy bars – and yet you’ve dropped a pound.

If you weren’t dieting and weighed yourself every day, you’d still find that your weight wasn’t steady: it might fluctuate by as much as several pounds.

Water retention
    Glycogen stores
    The amount you’ve eaten
    Water Retention
    Water retention is caused by drinking too little water, or eating too much salt.

If you don’t drink enough water, your body will cling onto its water supplies; make sure you’re drinking enough. And if you eat too much salt, your kidneys hold onto water instead of excreting it.

Women commonly retain water during the few days of the month just before their period. This “phantom” few pounds will drop off as quickly as it went on. Some medications can also cause water retention.

Glycogen Stores
    Glycogen – sugar – is carbohydrate stored in the liver and muscles; usually more than a pound in total, along with three or four pounds of water. This is your body’s energy reserve, and gets used up during the day if you’re not taking in enough carbohydrates to supply your energy needs.

When you eat, your body replaces the glycogen store and the water that goes with it – leading to a weight gain on the scales, even if you’ve only eaten a moderately-sized meal. This is absolutely normal and should not put you off eating carbohydrates!

The Amount You’ve Eaten
    Don’t think about the meal you’ve just eaten in terms of calories – think in terms of weight.

You could stuff yourself with pounds of fruit or salad for under a few hundred calories – but these pounds will show up if you stand on the scales straight after a meal. (Just imagine weighing yourself with all that food in your hands.)

Once your body’s had a chance to digest it, that food will disappear. The same applies with water – which has 0 calories, but definitely weighs something!

So how can you figure out whether you’re losing weight or not, if your body’s so prone to fluctuations? Try:

Always weighing first thing in the morning, before eating/drinking and after using the bathroom
    Looking at the pattern of weight loss over time, rather than worrying if you’ve stayed the same or gone up in one particular week
    Judging your success by the fit of your clothes, your energy and the good habits you’re forming – not just by the number on the scales.

Thank you for the information! :-)

I definitely have to get out of the frame of mind I'm in.
  • Shayzeepoo
    Options
    I'm in the SAME place as you. 2 weeks and counting bouncing between 161 and 163. I'm waiting to break through this but getting discouraged!

I'm starting to get discouraged too :-(
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    * Plateaus are normal.
    * Try to remember it's a marathon not a sprint.
    * Keep doing the right stuff over and over and you WILL reach your goal.
  • tereced
    tereced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN STUCK AT 154.4 ALSO!!!!! i went down to 138.8 and then i went back up to 154.4 and i have been stuck there for almost 8 days.
    my diet is good and i have been exercising consistently. i dont know what to do and i am just trying to be patient and see what happens. I am giving it 2 more weeks and then i will worry.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on...................
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    a week is not a plateau. keep with it - you'll lose! it's common to lose a lot the first week then not lose for a week. don't worry about it and just keep truckin'
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If you lost 7 in 1 week, it may take a few weeks for that to all settle out. Honestly, usually if I lose more than 2 lbs in a week, I gain half of it back the next week.

For the sodium question, the mfp default for sodium is 2500, but I have mine set to 2000 mg right now and I try to be under that. GL!
  • Laramae09
    Laramae09 Posts: 47
    Options

Water retention
    Glycogen stores
    The amount you’ve eaten
    Water Retention

Glycogen Stores

The Amount You’ve Eaten

bump. thank you!
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have been stuck at 163 for about 4 months LOL..I have tried eating more, I have tried eating less..yes a little discouraging but I will keep on truckin' trying to find the right calorie amount to loose (that being said I only weigh myself maybe 1 or 2 times a month)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Numbers on the scale don't tell the full picture. Along with some things noted above by PPs, I would also suggest you look at tracking your measurements. Often people find the scale isn't moving...but the measuring tape it. You could, for example, be gaining some muscle that "disguises" fat loss.

Weight doesn't come off in a nice even pattern - there are often plateaus, followed by bigger dips, and sometimes you have slight increases in there - that is all normal. Just keep at it, and you'll get there.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Stuck??? But you're only a member starting July of this month. Honey, you are only getting started. MFP has created you a deficit and by not eating to your goal (Yes that means eat those exercise calories) you are creating an even bigger deficit which is counterproductive. Your body needs fuel to run efficiently. When it runs efficiently it will burn the fat. Please look at my diary, I am eating far more than you. Just don't judge me from last night, it's nearly TOM and I succumbed to cravings. Look at the group "Eat More To Weigh Less" and educate yourself about TDEE and BMR.And for the love of all things holy, EAT!

Edited to add please read through my profile, I have provided others tips there.
  • JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The sodium intake issue is so very real and can indicate water weight issues. You can do it, keep at it. Plateaus suck, but just keep pushing.. try a new exercise class or dvd. Jillian Michaels' dvds are the bomb!!
  • IAMNekita
    IAMNekita Posts: 7
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself every day! And add more cardio and weights twice a week. Do not give up on yourself and do not compare yourself to others. Remember it did not take you two weeks to put on the weight! You can do it!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you what works for me when I get stuck. Quaker weight control instant oatmeal. When I hit a plateau, I eat oatmeal for breakfast and the weight will fall off. I thought it was a fluke thing at first, but it happened 3 different times! I know its probably just that the oatmeal is full of fiber and keeps you full longer, but it works for me!!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing.............

Just keep moving forward. This will happen from time to time - not to discourage you greatly, but sometimes a plateau can last many weeks! You have to just KEEP DOING WHAT WORKS.............and eventually, your body will respond.

And, like others have said, DO NOT weigh too often. Don't let that number on the scale make you obsessive. Put it away..........weigh ONCE a week, or less.

Measure yourself, too..................and keep track.........you might find nice surprises there!

HANG IN, and don't give up :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: