Losing my mind.

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
OK, so this is a rant (prepare thyself) about my stupid wedding! I mean...not stupid...wonderful...but rather things that are driving me nuts.

Ladies who have already been through this, I need some sanity please.

Seating arrangements...last minute cancellations, last minute additions, everyone EVERYONE peppering you with questions to which you have no answer...

How did you stay sane with all the planning? I'm about to lose it with less than two weeks left.

My fiancee doesn't have a suit yet because he doesn't own one, has no intention of buying one, and the stores out where the wedding will take place are not out here where we live (east vs west coast thing) so we have to wait until the week of to get his suit...I'm just about to crawl under the bed and cry.

Replies

• Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That's the exact reason I only had 40 people at my wedding.

No advice, but good luck to you xo
  • MSeel1984
    Options

LoL-we've only got 31...but mostly my mother-in-law to be is driving me crazy....she has been contacting me about the rehearsal dinner (which, technically, is not my job to plan) as well as re-arranging who is coming/not coming right up until two weeks before hand....egads.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeah...at that point, I basically said *kitten* it. It is what it is. We had people who RSVP'd and never showed up. I didn't worry about seating arrangements. Let people sit where they want! I honestly didn't want a big white wedding...my husband did. I wanted a destination wedding! So I made him help me on stuff. If my MIL tried to get into things I'd send him to deal with it.

As for the suit...can you rent one??
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No idea, we didn't want a big wedding with all the stress and cost. So, we went abroad with immediate family and a few friends was amazing!!

Good luck with it all.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When things get to be overwhelming, get away for a couple of hours (1/2 to 2 hours). Go to the mall, treat yourself to a healthy mini meal at a restaurant, go to a museum. You get my drift. Don't answer your phone during this time. Take this time to decompress and do something for yourself that is relaxing. It's a stressful time, trying to put it together, but you'll see it will all work itself out at the end. BTW, can you delegate some of the things that need to get done to someone else? Remember, b-r-e-a-t-h! :flowerforyou:
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No real advice - the last week before my wedding was the most stressful time of my life, and we had a very simple wedding too. I guess I would just say "You deal with it, whatever you think is best" as much as possible (MIL, finacee, everyone).

But know that it will all be fine, you will have a great time with the people you love and years from now that's all you'll remember.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm no woman, and have no real say here....but when I married my Ex wife, my ex MIL did most of the planning, and execution. They hired a wedding planner for the rest of the details.
    Was pretty painless for my EX, and I only had to show up.

When I married my current wife we invited a few friends and close family and that was it. Was SO much better=though the reception party my 1st time around was pretty fun.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    We sort-of eloped. We told everyone we were headed to Key West and got married down there. It was fabulous. My step son is getting married in two weeks. I feel badly for him because my sister-in-law is upset because her grandchildren aren't invited (they are both under 2 years old and it's not like they're going to miss it). She is making a huge deal out of it. Then, he's estranged from his mother, whom he hasn't spoken to in over two years. She's now angling for an invitation to the wedding. She's crazy, and while I see both sides of it (she is his mother, after all), after talking to him, I understand where he's coming from. He's not doing it to be vindictive. He loves his fiancee, and his mother is a wild card. You never know what you're going to get--whether she'll be gracious or horrible and throw a scene (she LOVES scenes). He said that he wants his fiancee to have the wedding she's dreamt of, and he doesn't want her to worry about anything. If he invites his mom, it becomes about his mom and everyone worries what she will do. The focus is then off of his fiancee and he doesn't want that. It was very grown up and honestly, thoughtful. He's said over and again that he doesn't care where or how they get married, he just wants to be married to her. She wants the wedding and he'll do whatever he can to support her.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    No idea, we didn't want a big wedding with all the stress and cost. So, we went abroad with immediate family and a few friends was amazing!!

Good luck with it all.

Ours is very similar...getting married in my parent's back yard-my dad re-did the yard and planted flowers in our colors...so beautiful. It's very small too. I never wanted a huge wedding...but half of our guests aren't even coming :(
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options

LoL-we've only got 31...but mostly my mother-in-law to be is driving me crazy....she has been contacting me about the rehearsal dinner (which, technically, is not my job to plan) as well as re-arranging who is coming/not coming right up until two weeks before hand....egads.

Wow, I feel for you...good luck with the MIL.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything that is going to cause you more grief than necessary. No seating arrangements, don't freak about all of the little details, because in the end, YOU are the only person that will really notice. People go to a wedding to see you and your man get hitched, eat some good food, drink some free drinks, and dance. Nobody else cares if there is a seating arrangement, or if the napkins are ochre or cream...

Tell your MIL that you trust her judgement on the rehearsal dinner, and you really are too busy to be of any help to her.

Ask your fiancee to help out - assign him tasks you know he can complete and will be interested in doing.

Stop stressing, because it's bad for your complexion.

Things are going to go wrong. Don't panic. Keep an open mind about everything, because you don't know what is going to fall apart, get messed up, etc. Just remember - nobody but you knows what it was SUPPOSED to look/be like.

Remember, at the end of the day, what is truly important is that you are going to marry your partner. Everything else is just fluff.

Lastly, when it comes to a wedding, someone is going to get their feelings hurt at some point. Chances are at least a few people will have their feelings hurt. Don't waste time trying to keep everyone happy. Do what's right for you and let the chips fall where they may.

I just got married (for the second time) on June 9th. We hosted a classy but casual event in our backyard for about 50 people. It was the most beautiful party ever. There was a lot of sh|t that went wrong and didn't go exactly as planned, and I'm still very happily married.
  • MorgaineFey
    MorgaineFey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My MOH saved my brain. She took over after a certain point and I just auto-piloted through it. Never underestimate your bridesmaids!!
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience, in the long run non of this will matter you will be married to someone you truly love and that is the happiness you want. The wedding day is the show for everyone, let some of the little things go or give them to someone you trust to handle. Remember to be present for your wedding, worrying about everything does not let you enjoy this wonderful moment. If you have a large wedding the chance is in 20 years most of these people wont be there to share in your daily routine, but your husband will. The people who will be there for you in 20 years will be there no matter what they are your family and truly only want the best for you.
  • Kitty_Kat_meow
    Options
    I'd say the most important thing is to talk to your partner. I got married in May and organized everything myself including making the wedding cake and food for the wedding. If you really want to get his suite now go online and order one, pay for fast delivery and you can have it in a few days.

If people want to decide they aren't going then forget about them and if people are saying they want to move or aren't happy with where they are sitting tell them to sit where you put them because this is your big day. I had similar problems because I had a no kids policy and a few people kicked up a real fuss and then people didn't want to sit by other people but I just told them it's my wedding and you will sit where I tell you and if I've told you no kids then you can either respect my wishes or not come.

And when it comes to mother in laws I'd say pass the phone to your partner get him to talk to his mum, if your not organizing the rehearsal dinner then give her the contact number for the person who is. If she continues to call you then don't let the conversation continue and every time she mentions it you just say as 'I've told you 'such and such' is organizing it would you like the contact details again'

If there are any problems with caterers etc you can always do it yourself or organize someone else last min, rope your best friends into helping you with all the details or ask round other friends who have got married if they have any contacts from their wedding.

Enjoy your big day hun, it'll go faster than you can imagine and soon you'll be a mrs and settling into married life.
  • rockermom5
    rockermom5 Posts: 58
    Options
    It's wonderful how the happiest day of your life can be such a stress inducing mess, isn't it? It's been awhile since I went through all the wedding craziness (13 years) and we had lots of little things that would pop up, the largest being issues with our photography studio.

It got to the point where I just said I couldn't control everything, and as long as my husband was there, we were good, lol. TRY to relax, see if you can maybe schedule a little spa day or something for yourself just to relax. It did help me. As far as your soon to be husband and the suit...can he rent one from somewhere?

Good luck! There's lots of good advice here..it'll all work out in the end!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Oh my I went through this last September. My MIL drove me BATTY. My bridesmaid was a HUGE help when I finally learned to delegate. Only 25% of our guest list RSVP'd and we still had a no-show. Our guests totaled 35.

Here is what kept my sanity (and my hubby's):

Designate 1 day each week to each other and NO mention of ANYTHING wedding related. Let emails go unchecked. Let phone calls go to voicemail and wait until the next day to return calls. You need a day to relax and enjoy each other. No wedding stuff allowed!

Learn to delegate to a bridesmaid, your Mom (mine was ZERO help), or your fiance. You cannot do it all and have to let some things go for your sake. We made a list of the most important things, and I eventually let others handle the things that were not as important. (And yes I know that it all is important to us!)

Plan A will be scrapped. Plan B will not work either. You will devise an excellent Plan C that EVERYONE else will think was the Plan A. I hated to hear this from people, but it has been true for our wedding: no one will notice when something goes wrong... except you.

It is SO overwhelming to plan something like this no matter the guest list size or event space. If you want any advice or opinions, please feel free to private message me. I have helped 2 other brides since my wedding, if for no other reason than to listen to a vent. :)

A year from now you will only remember the laughter, tears, and the love.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Take a day and do nothing wedding. Don't even think about it. Calm yourself down. and then hopefully finalize what needs to be done the next day. No sense getting all worked up about it. You won't remember the details on that day anyway because hopefully you'll be focused on marrying your best friend. As for the seating arrangements... any additions should just be sat as fill ins due to the late replies. and the no shows... well there is nothing you can do about that.. so no sense in worrying about that either. As for the suit/tux, I would call the place you plan on using now just to make sure they have the availability.. you can usually send the company your measurements(necksize, arm length, etc.. ) and they can get the suit ready for your arrival. Wish you the best with your wedding. It'll be great. Don't stress about it.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

Stop stressing, because it's bad for your complexion.

Things are going to go wrong. Don't panic. Keep an open mind about everything, because you don't know what is going to fall apart, get messed up, etc. Just remember - nobody but you knows what it was SUPPOSED to look/be like.

Remember, at the end of the day, what is truly important is that you are going to marry your partner. Everything else is just fluff.

All of it was good, but this is some of the best advice I've gotten in general since the wedding planning started. And you're right about the complexion. I got some great facewash that has it all under control, but I was getting concerned. Thanks for the kind and helpful advice!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    It's wonderful how the happiest day of your life can be such a stress inducing mess, isn't it? It's been awhile since I went through all the wedding craziness (13 years) and we had lots of little things that would pop up, the largest being issues with our photography studio.

Holy...what?! You were married thirteen years ago?! I wouldn't put you a day over 25!
  • shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First take a deep breath..I promise everything will fall into place! Her's what you do:
    1. Breath (most important)
    2. Open a bottle of wine or beverage of choice
    3. Make a list of things that are still not in place or things you are worried about
    4. Grab your fiancee or best friend
    5. Go thru each item and put in order of importance to you, (keep perspective that's why your fiancee or BF is there)
    6. Realize you have this under control and make a plan for each item you have listed
    7. Take a drink, kiss your fiancee and remember this is suppose to be fun and no one cares where they are going to sit and you have no control over who shows and who doesn't..Its YOUR day enjoy it!!!
    8. CAll your MIL and tell her to handle the rehearsal dinner you would rather not be involved.
    9. Finish the bottle, burn your list and get a good nights sleep
    10. Wake up get your DIVA on and tell yourself "YOU GOT THIS"!!

Seriously, it will all fall into place, remember stress brings on break outs you don't want that!! (:
    Have fun, congratulations and may God bring you many beautiful blessings on your new journey!!