Bored with Breakfast...

Options
Okay, so looking back at my breakfasts before i started eating healthier and losing weight 2 years ago, no wonder I was so overweight... Since I was in high school, my breakfasts were one of the following: Frosted Flakes, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Bagels, Pop tarts, cookies, Chocolate Muffins.... you can see the pattern here.

Now, I've started to eat healthier breakfasts... I know they aren't perfect or great but it's a very boring rotation of the following:
Plain Cheerios with a banana and some milk
Scrambled egg sandwich on 100 calorie whole wheat flat outs
French Toast (rarely, sometimes on a saturday or sunday when i know i will have time to work out.)

So, what can I do to shake up my breakfasts a little bit more, keeping them healthy, and add a little variety. And please don't say oatmeal, i just don't like it.

Replies

• DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
    Soy sausage "mcmuffin"
    turkey and egg white omelet
    fresh fruit
    peanut butter and jelly
    oatmeal pancakes
  • pennysocean
    pennysocean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nice and easy- I like whole grain/nutrigrain toaster waffles with some chunky peanut butter and a bit of honey! delish and its good to have some protein!

Also- I make (in cupcake tins) a whole wheat (or whatever) tortilla, with some eggs, and herbs and cheese- bake in the oven (they are perfect little breakfast dishes and yummy)

:)
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Google greek yogurt pancakes MMMMM and you can add berries or cheat and put a little choco chips in it lol. Also "Clean Egg Muffins" are really good.. Both interesting and non plain :) Lots of breakfasts options out there that are full of flavour and good for you!!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit with dry rye toast
    Oatmeal
    smoothie
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fruit salad and greek yogurt? Always Nice? Toast and Peanut butter, if you like or eat bread.

x
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok, no oatmeal. I get it. But before you yell at me, have you ever tried "refrigerator oatmeal"? You can find recipes on theyummylife.com. It's quite different than the normal gruel oatmeal most people eat (myself included).

Otherwise, my standard breakfasts are:

1) 100 calorie English Muffin with 1/4 c egg white and wedge of laughing cow cheese. Sometimes I add a morningstar veggie sausage patty to it for extra cals. This is simple but very yummy to me. You can put any of the light laughing cows on it to change up the flavor.

2) Cheddar garlic grits with an over easy egg. I get 100 calorie instant grits and cook as directed. I then add a dash or two of garlic powder, 1/4 fat free cheddar cheese and then mix it together. It's topped off with an over easy egg and black pepper.

3) Hungry Girl's website has some good breakfast ideas. Check out http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/episodes/rise-and-dine. I've made the Denver Omelette in a mug (122 calories!). But she has a recipe for cannoli stuffed french toast nuggets at 228 calories!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 egg omlet with a slice of cheese and a cup of strawberries for breakfast today.. less than 300 calories. you can always add local things to eggs such as veggies or salsa to make it more interesting. you can also make fruit smoothies to have as well.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Change up your Cheerios & bananas for other fruit & cereal. Berries are plentiful & delicious right now and they freeze so well. There's a lot of tasty low cal cereal's out there. My current favorite is Peanut Butter Multi Grain Cheerios, throw in some fresh strawberries & you have a pbj.

Yogurt with fruit is also a good option.

Spice up your eggs with some salsa on top or fresh veggies mixed in.

Hope this helps some:smile:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    During the week, I usually eat breakfast at my desk, so I eat a lot of cereal with fruit on the side. But I also love cheese toast and tomatoes for breakfast. I use whole grain bread, sliced low-fat cheese and slice a tomato on top. Delicious!

If I had access to a kitchen, I would probably eat omelettes every single morning. You can have a whole/egg white combo omelette with ham or turkey, feta cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, and any other veggies you happen to like for around or under 300 calories. Add a slice of whole grain toast on the side with some low-sugar jam or honey and I'm stuffed! :)
  • vishk2809
    vishk2809 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    protein bars - so many yummy flavours, so much good protein :) i aim for ones that are low in sugar (including alcohol sugars!!), carbs, and calories. i usually go with biox protein-32 and pure protein. cant get bored with flavours like peanut butter chocolate and strawberry cream haha
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with granola and fruit
    I love the flavored cheerios - cinnamon, strawberry and banana
    Egg beaters scrambled with turkey sausage, a little onion and green pepper
    Vitamuffins (in the freezer)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    2) Cheddar garlic grits with an over easy egg. I get 100 calorie instant grits and cook as directed. I then add a dash or two of garlic powder, 1/4 fat free cheddar cheese and then mix it together. It's topped off with an over easy egg and black pepper.

OMG! This sounds like heaven to me. Love, love some grits for breakfast! :love: And they are so filling. :)
  • tship74
    tship74 Posts: 48
    Options
    I love Two Scrambled Eggs, Cut up 1/4 Avocado and Cut up 1/2 Tomato.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Casseroles. This has been my latest thing. I noticed that they are super easy to stick in a box and take to work, and I've been able to play with them and get some variety. Try this... Take ~8oz russet potato, clean, and cut into slices. Boil slices in 1 cup of low sodium veggie broth. Add in turmeric, cumin, corriander, and other Indian spices (if you don't like Indian, use Italian, Mexican, etc.). Reduce down to where it's a bit thick. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Put potatoes in casserole dish, spreading them out evenly. In a large bowl, beat 10 eggs with about 2 cups chopped broccoli and 1 cup Pictsweet Seasoning Blend (onion, red and green peppers, celery) or mirepoix. Pour over potatoes. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour. My oven is weird. I'd say check it after 30 minutes. After you take it out of the oven, cover with 1.5 cups colby jack (I'm actually going to try harvati next time) and cover with foil. The cheese will melt while it cools. Cut into 6 pieces. ~280 cals per serving. Naturally, if you do egg whites or low fat cheese or somesuch, it will affect the calorie count.

Also, this is a fairly low sodim recipe. I calculated ~340mg per serving. You may want to use reduced sodium broth instead of low sodium, or you may want to salt the eggs if you're not on a reduced sodium diet.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have a omelet veggie, sometimes I add leftover meat from the dinner before....salsa feta & avocado on top. It's so yummy I could eat it everyday, most days I do : )
  • kristineclair
    kristineclair Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like half an sourdough English muffin (sourdough does not spike sugar levels much) toasted, then in one big pan with a tiny bit of EVOO saute spinach in one side and a scrambled egg in the other side. Its quick to make using the same pan and really balanced with a healthy carb, protein, and fiber... keeps me full til lunch. Other than that healthy cereal with soy milk and berries.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! Breakfast! I have just recently changed mine to include more protein!

Here are some things that I have fore breakfast:
    2 Eggs (I eat the whole egg) and Thomas English Muffin (the more fiber ones)
    Chicken Breast and Thomas English Muffin (the more fiber ones)
    Ground Turkey Burger and Cheese Stick
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt (my fav is the Dannon Okios) - Sometimes I mix in 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts

Hope these help!
  • mauramalade
    mauramalade Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is 2 scrambled egg whites with spinach, red onion and tomatoes. Today I added polenta instead of having a glass of milk and it was very filling. I like to add a bit of hot sauce to my egg whites to give them a little more flavor as well.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A guideline I picked up from a Biggest Loser book for breakfast was 1/2 a serving of protein, one serving of whole grains, and one serving of fruit! My fave way of doing this is by making a nice parfait. You can use your favorite fruit (berries have less calories than say bananas or pineapples, but fresh pineapple is my fave), some yogurt (can be plain, light flavored, or greek, I use vanilla greek), and a serving of some granola (I buy Bear Naked Granola). It can be pretty filling and I find it to be satisfying. Depending on what all you're choosing to add, it's anywhere from 200-300 calories and ends up being a nice helping! :)

I also like to make smoothies! Mixing a cup of milk with a cup or two of fresh or frozen fruit and blending! You can add some splenda or a little sugar if it's too tart!
  • greenpug
    greenpug Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to make my own breakfast sandwiches wrap them and freeze them for busy mornings. Toasted Whole wheat English muffin. Bake eggs by cracking them and putting each egg in a muffin tin cup which makes them the perfect shape. Then either a slice or 2 of canadian bacon or a thin slice of my favorite cheese.