Burning Fat on an Elliptical

Options
erin023
erin023 Posts: 123 Member
What is the best way to use an elliptical for burning fat?

Fast or Slow pace?
High or low resistance?
Etc

I have a hard time staying on my elliptical for longer than 15 minutes no matter the settings; I'm obviously very out of shape. Each time I do a little better though, so now I just want to make sure I'm using it to my advantage.

Replies

• jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    if you are doing it for 15 minutes, i'd go with high intensity intervals
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    Shorter time + higher intensity for the short burst of exercise.
    Longer time + lower intensity so you can keep up a steady pace during the workout.

That's how I do it anyway. :)
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of preference. It takes some time to get used to. Just increase the length of time or resistance by 10% each week. This will build your endurance. I usually do Interval training on mine. Good luck finiding out what works best
  • LariceDavis
    LariceDavis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the weight loss program on resistance level 2 my elliptical. It is a 30 minute program and I am up to 20 minutes. Any pace on an elliptical will burn fat. It is a full body engaging exercise. Just pace yourself and enjoy it!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use the weight loss program on the eliptical if I am strictly using it for burning calories. If I am going to endurance I will use the hill program. You definitely feel it in different areas. I love the eliptical for a quick workout too because you can burn a high amount of calories in the least amount of time vs a treadmill or walking/jogging.

I alternate days with weights so I am mixing it up and not doing the same thing all the time.
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    Longer time + lower intensity so you can keep up a steady pace during the workout.

I recommend this.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training (HIIT) is one of the best ways to burn fat, especially in a shorter period of exercise time, but they are definitely intense. :)

Basically you want warm up for a few minutes, then start to do a cycle: Do a burst of high speed, high resistance, and then a recovery period at slower speed, lower resistance. For example, I will use resistance level 16 (out of 20) for 20s at about 85-90 rpm, and then do 1:40 recovery at resistance 7 at about 70 rpm.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use the interval program when I'm on it. In a 15-minute program I think it might cycle too fast, though, so you might need to check that. (If it's moving your elevation/resistance back and forth every 10 seconds it could be kind of weird.) Play around with the programs a little and see what is comfortable for you. I think it matters more that you're actually *doing* it, not necessarily that you're doing a particular program - especially if the difficulty level is taking you off of the machine faster. Start slow and get accustomed to the machine and how it works your body, so you know what your abilities and limitations are - and then work gradually to increase your abilities and reduce any limitations that aren't hard and fast (e.g. something like severe arthritis).
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been doing level 12 for 30 minutes...seems to be helping my weight loss
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had good results doing interval sessions on the elliptical, I would do 30s slow pace followed by a 30s sprint on it, than the next minute a 20 second rest, 20 second sprint and another 20 second rest, than 10 on and off for a minute, after those 3 minutes I would start the process from beggining again, good luck :)
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

SAME as above, it really depends on your preference....you will burn fat either way.

Oh PS. if you go backwards it really works on your GLUTES! iE...YOUR butt...AMAZING x
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    HIGH resistance.

Also intervals in the elliptical. Good - Elliptical interval work out - there is a ton out there on the net!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would fluctuate the intensity levels throughout the workout, do intervals of high then do a low pace, which will get your heart rate going while also reaching maximum performance.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    slow speed high resistance
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

SAME as above, it really depends on your preference....you will burn fat either way.

Oh PS. if you go backwards it really works on your GLUTES! iE...YOUR butt...AMAZING x

This, but I also switch up the programs and change the intensity levels of the programs to mix it up. And I also don't do it all the time. Only on my recovery weeks.
  • lindseym1983
    lindseym1983 Posts: 209
    Options
    If I am lifting that day I do 30 minutes on level 8 but I break it up in two 15 min sessions. One before weights one after, keeps metabolism up long after work out. No lifting I do 45 mins on level 8-12, I start at 8 then increase every 5 mins or so. Helps with my weight loss. Also you can do more than you think you can, just get in your zone and work through the burn. You would be amazed at how long you can really stay on there. I am a good 20 lbs over weight and my heart rate is in the 170's and up, sweat just pouring off, and my legs are burning. But what do you want more to get off the elliptical or to lose weight. Music helps me think of something other than the burn. :) Good luck!!!
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to do 30 minutes on the weightloss/fat burning programme but only on level 1. I try to go as fast as i can and keep up the intensity and speed. To make it harder try not to hold onto the handles and keep your abs tight, i find this really help to tone my back and sides whereas when i hold the handles it tones my arms and chest.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Life Fitness machine then, X-train if it has that function, fast, slow, resistance up, resistance down, concentrate on upper body, concentrate on lower body all automatic.

And yes to high intensity intervals, if you know how to do them on an elliptical machine.

Better still and it seems that you may find cardio machines a bit dull, take this challenge

50 squats
    25 left leg lunges
    25 right leg lunges
    50 jumping jacks
    25 press ups - use knees
    25 squats
    15 left leg lunges
    15 right leg lunges
    25 jumping jacks
    30 seconds PLANK
    rest I minute and 30 seconds plank - this should take about 15 minutes. Raise heart rate to cardio levels and hit your muscles.

You rest as and when you need it, but try to complete in one go. Do it at least 3 times a week, time each session and after a month amaze yourself with your progress.

this sounds very similar to the 30 day shred
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd start by building up some endurance. Take a modest resistance that you can comfortably do but isn't super easy and if you can do it for 15 minutes, then the next day shoot for 17, then try to up it a few minutes every week until you can do 30 minutes or momre. Then I'd look at some interval training. I will go for 2 minutes pretty hard at a modest setting and then 2 minutes at much higher resistance for 2 minutes and alternate back and forth on 2 minute intervals for 30-60 minutes (I do day 1 at 40 min, day 3 at 50 min and day 5 at 60 min with strength training on days 2, 4 and 6). If you have an elevation setting then increase it along with the resistance on the "work" segments and then decrease it along with the resistance on the "rest" segments. I never really rest but I like the varying resistance and elevation. You can do the same thing on a treadmill. This is a great cardio workout and it burns a lot of calories. I do this 3 times a week and then I do a shorter version 3 times a week at 15-20 minutes before strength training. It really pays off to work on strengthening and toning muscles a you lose weight, fat and inches. If it has a heart rate monitor (or better yet buy a chest strap heart rate monitor) then I like to pay close attention to the heart rate and during the low resistance/elevation segments be in the 130s (once I get warmed up which takes a few minutes) and then well into the 140s or even 150s during the high resistance/elevation segments. If your desire is to burn fat then I'd recommend this along with a good strength training program. I have found it most effective in terms of burning fat, losing weight and inches to do things at a higher intensity than the "Fat Burning" programs on most elliptical which opt for a much lower resistance at a much lower heart rate. In order to really burn the same amount of fat and calories you have to do it for a much longer period of time which can be an issue and the longer times make my feet and sometimes knees hurt. Good luck